My First Becker: BK10 Crewman

Hey guys, just got my first Becker, decided to join the forum as well. Not my first knife, but my first Kabar/Becker. Got a BK10 Crewman. Installed micarta handles right away with stainless hardware. Planning on stripping the epoxy as well, and upgrading to a better sheath. Want to put a convex edge on it @ 20 degrees (Going to be getting a worksharp ken onion, hopefully soon). I had been wanting a better camp/survival knife, as I discovered I was lacking in this area much on a recent camping trip to North Georgia. Really had a hard time deciding between the BK2, BK7, and BK10. Went with the BK10 because I like the blade shape, plus I wanted the thumb ramp and finger guard not found on the BK2. Love the 7 as well, but I think the blade length was a bit much for my purposes, and I would likely step up to a 9 if I was going for something that large. I'm hooked on these Becker knives though, and I plan on collecting some more of them. Using this 10 will help me decide which one will be next. My first impressions of the knife are as follows:

Pros
1) The knife has a great look and feel to it. Love the weight and balance.
2) Fits my hand very well, I wear a large/XL glove
3) Love the Kabar Micarta handles, feel great with great texture.
4) 3/16" thick 1095 Cro Van Steel

Cons
1) Hate the grivory handles that it came with, feel good but would be very slippery if wet
2) Sheath is pretty crappy but I will use it until I wear it out, then upgrade to something better. Wish it had better retention.
3) Blade is sharp, but not consistant. Will shave hairs on some parts of the blade, not others.

23297538380_c5965166d6_o.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! I've wanted a 10 for quite a while now, but I think the only way I'd be truly happy is to cut a 9 down, for the extra blade width haha.

You seem to know what you do and don't like in a knife, and the fact that you've come here, means you can *clearly* value a quality knife. Good on ya for getting it because you get out and use it, too!

As for the next one you get? I say read up on the bk4. It grows on ya, now it's tied for my favorite.

Welcome friend, I hope to see you around!

Congrats on the new steel :).

If I were to "start over from scratch" somehow, I think I'd likely start with either the 10 or the 16 (instead of the 2).

And if you use the grivory, you may find that you like it (although not everyone does, which is fine). The handle shape will prevent any problems even when wet (even more so if you use a proper lanyard), and the texture means that I don't have to wear gloves, and I still don't get any blisters even after LOTS of work. YMMV of course. Micarta sure does look nice though :).

I also purchased a crewman recently. It was my first becker and have since bought a 2, 9, and 11. I am so hooked on these knives. I think a 5 , 16, and a small knife for my bk9 sheath since they dont seem to come with one anymore. Best knives ive ever owned

Thanks guys. I may give the grivory a shot on my next Becker, I just really do love Micarta. I coated these in hydraulic oil (mineral oil) to darken them up, but I may soak them in some "dirty" hydraulic oil to get them even darker. Also may sand blast to get the epoxy off i have a blast cabinet at work. The media we use leave steel a nice satin gray color. Or maybe I will force patina. I don't know, we will see. Then I will put a proper edge on it. For now I will probably let one of my employees sharpen it for me, he has a wicked edge setup and he is quite good at making blades scary sharp. I have a Lansky sharpener kit, but it just doesn't work as well as the wicked edge. Can't wait to get the work sharp though, I want that convex edge. I may pick up a BK11 to pair with this 10, or maybe a 15 or 16 for smaller camp chores.

Any recommendations on a sheath? I like leather/kydex hybrids, but am open to full leather if the price is right. Really like the 710 Customs sheaths. Any recommendations on modifications?

Great choice!!!
The only other big one you 'need' is the 9 or 21 now. A 16 would be redundant (I love it, btw) - go for the smaller stuff.

I'd recommend you pass on covering the scales in the nasty variety of petroleum products. Try a good wax instead, or just let them darken with the oil from your hands.

Congrats on the new steel, and welcome to the forum.

Welcome! I do not have a 10 yet...

The first thing I do with my micarta is rub it good with mineral oil. I hate that dry feeling like I need lotion. I've never had any issues with it. Gives a much better look and feel. Occasionally I'll give it a light rub with the sanding pad to bring out the grain just because it looks cool lol.
I'm very fond of the factory micarta and would have it on all my Beckers if I could.

Nice choice and hope to see ya around, I'm sure you'll make it a collection before long!

Welcome aboard brutha. Dig the 10!
All you need to compliment that bad boy is a 9 and a 14/11. Oh, and maybe a 2 and 16. But, you better grab a 4,5,15 while u can! Yeah, that should do it :)

Good choice BK10.... BK10 is a great knife and size... I sure like the size of the 10

I bought a BK10 also after I got my 16 and 15. Didnt want that thick BK2. I didnt want that extra length of a BK7 getting in the way, If I wanted longer id get a BK9

I bought a BK9 couple days ago, its on the brown truck on the way,, Hee Hee ! :D

Last edited:
Congrats and WELCOME!

I too like the BK10 and prefer it to the BK2.

The grivory grips can be 'improved' by hitting them with some 100grit sandpaper or stipple them with a soldering iron.

also may sand blast to get the epoxy off i have a blast cabinet at work. The media we use leave steel a nice satin gray color.

Id advice just use paint stripper like Jasco or that enviro citris crap others use instead of bead blasting it. I like the clean machine marks under the paint, you might like it too. You can also leave the epoxy on under the scales. You could always bead blast it or what ever later after you strip and use for awhile

Before you strip, You can etch your logos deeper so it stays if you want to
Like this http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...r-and-using-electrochemical-etching-on-a-BK12
I used a 12volt car battery charger, worked great

Last edited:
Welcome! Good first choice for BK&T. Next Becker (generally considered to be when, not if....) you might try sandblasting the Grivory, since you have the cabinet available. That'll give those factory scales a little more texture. I've got Grivory on some (including my 10) and factory scales on most of the rest. Got no problems with the OEM scales. I like the Micarta better, but I can't afford it on all of them. IMO it's the shape that gives you the grip, not so much the material.....anyways, welcome to our little corner of the digi-verse. We like it here.

Id advice just use paint stripper like Jasco or that enviro citris crap others use instead of bead blasting it. I like the clean machine marks under the paint, you might like it too. You can also leave the epoxy on under the scales. You could always bead blast it or what ever later after you strip and use for awhile

Before you strip, You can etch your logos deeper so it stays if you want to
Like this http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...r-and-using-electrochemical-etching-on-a-BK12
I used a 12volt car battery charger, worked great

Thanks for the tip on etching, I may have to give this a try!

Welcome! Good first choice for BK&T. Next Becker (generally considered to be when, not if....) you might try sandblasting the Grivory, since you have the cabinet available. That'll give those factory scales a little more texture. I've got Grivory on some (including my 10) and factory scales on most of the rest. Got no problems with the OEM scales. I like the Micarta better, but I can't afford it on all of them. IMO it's the shape that gives you the grip, not so much the material.....anyways, welcome to our little corner of the digi-verse. We like it here.

Hadn't thought of sandblasting the grips. I will give that a try for sure. If it works out well that may be the option I go with in the future.

Welcome to the sickness!! And welcome to the forum. Great first post. Hope you stick around there is much to learn around here.

The 710 makes a great kydex sheath btw, and knives if you ever get a chance.

And last I make leather kydex hybrid sheaths. Leather pants with a kydex belt.

I sandblasted the grivory and they resulted in a pretty nice texture. Keeping the Micarta on this knife, but I will probably sandblast the grivory in the future to save some money.

Dang it, I really am hooked. Wanting a 9 and an 11 as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard as you have started the worse addiction known to Man, The 10 a Great mid size BK and like many have warned many more BK'S to follow

KEEP EM SHARP

Welcome aboard Shipmate. Useful and versatile choice in the BK-10 ... but be warned, there will be more to follow.

As for the handles, Beckers use shape not texture for grip and they work surprisingly well. Grippy handles aren't comfortable for longer session use and Ethan devised a way to allow comfort for more prolonged sessions while maintaining purchase authority via the ergonomics. Give them a fair try for a while but i will grant you that the micarta is cool, cost notwithstanding.

Back