My First Benchmade – Foray 698/Questions for Those in the Know

I just pulled the trigger on a pre-order for my first Benchmade, a 698 Foray. I haven’t really followed Benchmade so a couple questions:

When should I expect it to ship? Is Benchmade quick to ship after SHOT?

I think I read somewhere that a lot of Benchmade clips are pretty much interchangeable, without seeing the Knife is there any “high carry” options that might be possible?

Anyone who saw one…any thoughts? I like how it looked on the video, and from reading its pretty much a perfect fit for what I’ve been looking for, but some impressions would be appreciated. There doesn’t seem to be too much info out there on this model.

<<BTW: I probably shouldn’t say the Foray is my first Benchmade…I had a Delta Raider back in the 90s which I thoroughly regret selling>>

You will know they ar eready to ship when you start seeing them on the interwebz :D Problem is, some dealers get their shipments early, and others are further down the line.... It depends on when the 698 is worked into the build line..BM's website says March, so I'm not counting on seeing them until middle to end of March.

Some of the clips are interchangeable.

Anyone have the 698 Foray and if so what do you think of it?

I like the the blade length of 3.24", 20CV steel and slim profile.

[video=youtube;38DvI3-XbK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38DvI3-XbK4[/video]

o

Just bought one and have had it for a couple weeks now. I will say that the quality is top notch. Beautiful lines and just a great looking knife. The G10 is a bit slick and has a kind of wood grain pattern to it. Very comfortable in hand and great blade to handle ratio. Definitely feels solid like it could get some serious work done but it has that classy gentleman like look to it. I will say that it has already bit the tip of my middle finger. This is because the handle is a bit thin so my fingers fold all the way around and can get in the path of the blade when closing one handed as most people do with the axis lock. No big deal though but it's just something you get used to quickly. Blade came extremely sharp and has a wonderful contour to it. I can't speak on the blade steel as its only cut paper and a few strands of paracord. I don't use my higher end knives for any kind of hard use tasks that would scratch the blade so I'm not the person to ask about edge retention. In the very rare situation where some serious cutting would need done I would grab one of my cheaper knives. I will say that it did glide through the paracord like butter, if that helps at all. Lol. Overall it's an awesome knife and I would definitely buy it again. The day I bought it I also got the Spyderco Gayle Bradley II and they have both been a blast to own so far. This was my 5th Benchmade in my current collection and it's by far the smoothest.

Hope that helped at least a little bit for anyone looking at these knives. I've never reviewed anything before so I just tried to describe it the best I could.

Nice review mjpgolf.

The thin/narrow handle and contoured G-10 are actually a plus for me. I won't have issues with either. The G-10 finish looks kind of like the 485 Valet.

Nice review mjpgolf.

The thin/narrow handle and contoured G-10 are actually a plus for me. I won't have issues with either. The G-10 finish looks kind of like the 485 Valet.

Thanks for the kind words my friend. I actually have been looking hard at the valet and the only thing holding me back on it is the fact that everything is shrunken down. The axis lock, thumb studs, etc are all 1/3 smaller than the other versions so it makes the knife a bit harder to manipulate, but wow what a beautiful looking piece. I love that gentleman folder look that's going on with both the foray and valet.

I really like that!! That is a sweet knife!! Thanks for the great video. That looks like something I will be wanting to have down the line.

Mild recurve, simple clean lines, very nice knife. On my list for a smaller EDC.

+1 on this knife as far as smaller sized folders go.

What immediately stood out for me is the build quality. Truly outstanding. Solid and well built in a small sleek package.

So far from the 2016 line up it's the one I'm most impressed with.

Thanks for the kind words my friend. I actually have been looking hard at the valet and the only thing holding me back on it is the fact that everything is shrunken down. The axis lock, thumb studs, etc are all 1/3 smaller than the other versions so it makes the knife a bit harder to manipulate, but wow what a beautiful looking piece. I love that gentleman folder look that's going on with both the foray and valet.

The 485 Valet is a nice and very slim folder. Due to the smaller thumb stud and axis lock it's kind of slow in deploying. It's one of the narrowest folders I have.

I ordered a 698 Foray today and I'm sure I'll love it. It's the only new 2016 Benchmade that has had my attention.

The 485 Valet is a nice and very slim folder. Due to the smaller thumb stud and axis lock it's kind of slow in deploying. It's one of the narrowest folders I have.

I ordered a 698 Foray today and I'm sure I'll love it. It's the only new 2016 Benchmade that has had my attention.

That's great. You are sure to love the Foray. Just watch your finger tips when closing. You will see exactly what I mean when you go to close it the first time with one hand.

Can you shot a side by side photo of the 485 and 698 when it arrives?

Can you shot a side by side photo of the 485 and 698 when it arrives?

Sure. The video did include a comparison to the Mini Grip so I'll include a side by side of 698, 485, 484 and 707.

My Foray came in just now! This is a great very well-made EDC with premium steel.

Sharp blade with no play in any direction and centered.

The decorative pivot and axis screws give it a touch of class.

The contoured and polished G-10 is very nice.

Very slim profile compared to Mini Grip.

For me this easily beats out Mini Grip, Sequel, Nakamura and Valet for small EDC.

Classy but tough. A Gentleman's Tactical Folder is an apt moniker.

No issues at all in the hour that I've had it.

Pictures soon.

I just picked up a Foray and WOW is it nice. Perfect size, perfect steel and beautifully executed fit & finish. It is a real gem in the lineup. Pics to follow soon.

cc3f2d8ea0f840c5a510573e01470b17.jpg

I was going to start my own thread but found this. I just ordered one of these myself but haven’t gotten it yet. Before ordering I tried reading about it and there is surprisingly little to be found. Why aren’t there more threads and more information about this one?

Last edited:
I got one just after Christmas. I really like the hefty way it's built -- beefy and solid, with lots of nice details. I like the shape of the blade, and the handle really fills my hand nicely. But I find the G10 to be slippery in my hand so I don't end up carrying it too much. I wish it had just a little texture.

The OP asked about the clip. It comes with a "two screw" deep carry clip. I suppose a standard clip, as on a 940 or a Grip could be installed, but there are only two holes for the screws.

Back