My first Camillus!

bucksway

Gold Member
There's a thread on the Buck section about Bucks large trapper that got me interested in Camillus and in that pattern. Most of my adult live I have used a locking folder until the BCCI club 301 came out in BG42. Because of the steel I bought it and found it to be a great user. But I never tried any other 'traditional' pocket knife till now.
This trapper is was sold as one of the last to leave the factory. There's no etch on the blades and has a simple bullet insert in the handle. It has 'snap' like I have never seen on any knife I have ever handled! But stiff to open too. I originally planned to get bone handles to have a more secure grip (carpal tunnel) but all were over my self imposed budget. I'm finding simple beauty in unetched blades and the Cocobolo handles and the fact that it's a parts or buildout dosen't matter to me. When I first started looking I thought I would end up with one from the 'Wildlife' series but I'm glad I found this one. I'm beginning to understand why folks love the trapper. 20200827_165521.jpg 20200827_165459.jpg per. It's about the most knife a man can carry without going to a fixed blade.

Congrats! That is nice. I have a Camillus made Buck 307 I really like. I think those handles look better than bone.

I love Burl wood of any kind but Koa especially. I collect rare,odd,1of1 and prototype 112's since 2007 and have displayed at the Blade Show with the BCCI and most of my resources have gone to that..This is the first non-Buck knife I have bought in many, many years but the more I researched the Trapper the more I've come to appreciate Camillus as a company. I only wonder what they would be now and especially if Buck had bought the company. I plan to do some knife mangling on this one to get a better texture and grip..Has anyone here mirror polished the blades on a big trapper? I'm not sure what steel exactly this one has but I like the look of mirror polished blades . I haven't decided yet on the handle mods..maybe checkering ?

Just bought another one! It's a 375 Mag from the Classic Cartridge series as a gift for my son Richard. I'll post pics when it actually gets home. It's used but not abused with good etching on the blades no box or paperwork. It was under $25.00 shipped to my door and I consider that a real bargain in a American made large pocket knife! Tho not a Buck it IS a kissing cousin and I now have a real appreciation of Camillus and the knives they made. I won't ever give up looking for oddball 112's but it's nice to research and see knives outside of my area of knowledge which is Bucks 112. I actually felt a tiny bit guilty buying anything other than Buck..I have chased hard since 2007..But it feels good!

Vit_213 Thanks for your reply..and when the other one gets home I'll post pics of it.Sir can you tell me the best way to make it easier to open? It has 'snap' unlike ANY knife I've ever owned. When I open it I have to be extremely careful not to let it bite me! I also plan to carry in a shieth but have not seen any factory shieth's in the listings I see on Ebay. I think a open top will work well for this knife. The more I look at Camillus the more I realize just how great a history the company has..and the knives they made are fantastic! I'm really impressed with the large Trapper. Sir did any of the large trappers ever come with a mirror polished blade?..Edit: The 375 H&H is from Safari Series..

Last edited:
It has 'snap' unlike ANY knife I've ever owned. When I open it I have to be extremely careful not to let it bite me!
Perhaps this is due to the fact that the knife was assembled not at the factory.
Sir did any of the large trappers ever come with a mirror polished blade?
I can only remember the limited edition Camillus Collectors Club knife 2003.
ACtC-3fVfYRKQK-QHwAXLKySTzzywntWVU3lFrk-MM796dvfHbDhmw21bHXIlv2mwmgz5-ua9QU1etnRigc2vWzjNQ8ebk4FYV6fs5CH5xCC5_FB1FLe3RuK3pYtkIcSeDxMJm1eFPu-EpUChssn9xvVDF37=w1024-h768-no

This is the one I'm giving to my Son..I have one of the 1988 NKCA Jigged horn on the way for me. I was bidding on one of the "One Riot One Ranger" but was outbid at the last second when I was eating dinner..That went for under $40.00 shipped..a real bargain. 20200908_172510.jpg 20200908_172457.jpg

I understand now why Jigged bone is so popular. It's beautiful and gives me a good grip .This is my EDC Trapper. 20200911_185529.jpg 20200911_185609.jpg 20200911_185653.jpg

Back