CRKT My first CRKT product seems perfectly fine . Happy surprise !

Why? People in your thread, including you, are saying they like their CRKTs. Why should CRKT change their model?
Because some models are good and some are bad and the QC is often inconsistent or just poor; and people's individual needs and taste differ . :rolleyes:

I don't think anybody is claiming that CRKT could not be much improved overall in quality and value , compared to say : Cold Steel ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Because some models are good and some are bad and the QC is often inconsistent or just poor; and people's individual needs and taste differ . :rolleyes:

And that is why there is more than one brand of knife. If you want a higher end knife, get something else.

They are wildly successful. And even the knife nerds here are praising them.

It seems odd people think that successful knife companies need to change their business model. Doesn't make sense.

Just a dozen of the CRKTs that I own that I like best:

Carson M21-04G
Ikoma Fossil (5471K)
Onion Eros (K456XXP)
Onion Prowess (K290KXP)
Onion Hi-Jinx (K281KXP)
Onion Swindle K240XXP)
Tighe Tac Two Auto (5230A)
Williams Hissatsu (2903)
Williams Otanashi Noh Ken (2906)
Carter Jettison (1630)
Caswell Provoke (4040)
Ochs Terrestrial (5370)

These are all great knives IMO and I have had no problems w/any of them.

And that is why there is more than one brand of knife. If you want a higher end knife, get something else.

It seems odd people think that successful knife companies need to change their business model. Doesn't make sense.
No-one was referring to a business model ! The mafia and numerous drug cartels have wildly successful business models judged by their net profits . :rolleyes:

The crkt "Heiho" is probably the best-named knife ever made. Heiho.

9xT67DZ.jpg

There is no hit or miss with 'Hissatsu line' (made in Taiwan)
You've got that right
Its an eye catching series.
And I m a fan.
But I m mighty grateful to Coldsteel
for having taken a swipe at it.
It greatly helped to spell out where its probable weakness lie.
So now this serves as a constant reminder
on not what not to do.

They are what they are, and they sell a sh*t-ton of knives precisely because they are what they are. It’s clearly a company that has found its wheelhouse/niche in the market. I suppose an argument could be made that CRKT could try the (Kershaw/ZT) (Toyota/Lexus) model and do a “premium” line but...why? They’re printing money as it is, which is kind of the point.

No-one was referring to a business model ! The mafia and numerous drug cartels have wildly successful business models judged by their net profits . :rolleyes:

That's exactly what you were doing when you suggested that "....CRKT could up their game with some better steel." CRKT uses inexpensive materials to get sell reasonably priced "designer" knives. That's their model. Using higher end steel changes their model.

And how are they, as you are implying, modeled like the "mafia and numerous drug cartels"?

Maybe you could expand on that beyond using the eyeroll smiley.

Regarding T-hawks of this style; What's a good one? I read enough amazon reviews and saw enough chipped out pictures to not want this CRKT, but is there a decent one out there of this size for around $100? Do I really have to bust out $500 for an RMJ?

Isn't the OP saying this one is?

Isn't the OP saying this one is?
He is, but compared to the testimony I've found also in this thread and in other reviews online, OP's results do not seem typical. There are pictures on Amazon reviews for this thing that have absolute gouges taken out of the edge. Supposedly from just chopping wood and deer.

He is, but compared to the testimony I've found also in this thread and in other reviews online, OP's results do not seem typical. There are pictures on Amazon reviews for this thing that have absolute gouges taken out of the edge. Supposedly from just chopping wood and deer.

I've seen only one negative comment about CRKT in this thread.

And who chops deer?

I've seen only one negative comment about CRKT in this thread.
And who chops deer?

I certainly don't, but it was one of the reviews on Amazon with some nasty chunks taken out of the edge. I guess it was frozen which adds a layer of difficulty, but I still couldn't imagine a big chunk of carbon steel chipping that badly on that media. Another one with equally large chunks was done on a sapling, which is one of the things I would possibly chop with something like this. Have a gander at the pics on the Amazon reviews. They're not pretty.

Aside from lusting after RMJ's for sometime, I only started looking for hawks with comparable dimensions a couple days ago. This one came up.

Chopping frozen "media" will take out large chunks of a blade if the wrong technique is used.

The vast, vast majority in this thread have praised CRKT. If you don't trust/believe them and trust/believe Amazon reviews instead, that is your prerogative.

It just seems odd to come into this thread and say "I don't believe what you all said."

Chopping frozen "media" will take out large chunks of a blade if the wrong technique is used.

The vast, vast majority in this thread have praised CRKT. If you don't trust/believe them and trust/believe Amazon reviews instead, that is your prerogative.

It just seems odd to come into this thread and say "I don't believe what you all said."

I think this is my fault and you're correct. I've been reading a few threads on this tool at the same time and I think I've conflated responses from other websites with ones from here. After rereading this thread and the one on the dedicated thawk forum, you're correct and there are no overtly negative impressions on this model here on BF.

I think I'm going to pick it up. Thanks for correcting me. On staycation this week and am too amped on coffee and internet spending to keep everything straight!

I think this is my fault and you're correct. I've been reading a few threads on this tool at the same time and I think I've conflated responses from other websites with ones from here. After rereading this thread and the one on the dedicated thawk forum, you're correct and there are no overtly negative impressions on this model here on BF.

I think I'm going to pick it up. Thanks for correcting me. On staycation this week and am too amped on coffee and internet spending to keep everything straight!

No worries. The thread seemed pretty positive. Kinda "pleasantly surprised by the quality."

I own exactly two CRKT knives and I bought them at once, long ago within my first overseas knife purchase. CRKT M16-14 (liner lock only, no LAWKS) and STIFF KISS.

M16-14 works great and has been my go to knife for a while. Later on it started taking less pocket time due to the weight and stronger than neccesary clip. The STIFF KISS has never seen too much use, steel seems soft and even though I modded it with micarta scales, I never got to use it much.

Overall, I like them and didn't find any "faults" on them, so I wouldn't hessitate to buy another one.

Mikel

Back