My first folder

I've been trying lots of new things lately. Steak knives last week, and now a folder.
I should say this isn't the first folder I've worked on. I have about half a dozen partially made/screwed up slipjoints kicking around, and I'll be revisiting those soon. But partway through trying to figure out a slipjoint, I got to know Frank Niro and shifted over to liner locks. Over the course of about a month of working on it between projects, this is what I came up with. Much thanks to Frank for spending hours talking me through the process, and even inviting me to his shop to show me the final steps of cutting the leaf and making it lock.
Anyways here it is. The blade is aeb-L, mirror finished. The bolsters and backbar are brass, Titanium liners, and Pao Ferro scales. For my first completed folder I'm very happy with it!
IMG_20170822_110539.jpg IMG_20170822_110520.jpg IMG_20170822_110258.jpg IMG_20170822_110330.jpg

I already have a few things in mind I'd like to change on the next one, but any criticism will be much appreciated!

I think it came out nice for the First Completed one and Frank is a great source for advice as he is here in the forums...:thumbsup:

I actually found the liner lock to be surprisingly simple, at least simple to get right. Figuring out how it all goes together was more complicated than actually making the thing.
Slipjoints on the other hand... Such straightforward things, everyone I've tried technically worked. But getting one to work exactly how I want it to is definitely more of an art.

As for what I'd change on this one, the most glaring one is my makers mark. Apart from that stencil being toast, my regular mark for fixed blades is way too big. I might even mark the next one on the inside of the back bar or the liner.
Also I'd do the nail Nick differently next time. Other than that just some minor cosmetic things such as screw placement, continuing the filework around to the inside of the backbar, ect

Functionally it's great. No sideplay, and locks up like a bank vault. If anything I'd use thinner liners in the future to lighten it up a bit.
Already started the next one today while tempering a pile of fixed blades.

1/32 is usually all you need for liners of any size folder. Also, especially for titanium, the cost difference is a consideration for 1/32 vs 1/16 sheet. If you want heavier than 1/32, you can find some .04" sheet.

Do you know what angle you put on the tang?

60 thou Titanium was recommended to me to give room for counterboring for the pivot bearings, allowing for a thinner blade than would otherwise be needed. Of course that'd be out the window if not using ball bearings.
Anyways AKS had 52 thou and 68 thou. I bought the 68 thou, but I'd buy the 52 thou next time.
The tang is cut at 11 degrees.

Geoff, what I saw was quality work by someone who wanted exactly that. You are certainly experienced.I was pleased when you brought out what you had done so far to show me. I know you will be successful in doing any more in the future. It sure was a great afternoon for me! I sure enjoy the chance to help others.

After this next one I'll probably dive into a project for a friend I've been putting off for a very long time... He wants a knife blade, a bird hunters gut hook, and a shotgun choke wrench stuffed into a folder. A slipjoint is the obvious answer, but I might have an idea for a two blade liner lock with the middle liner doubling as the choke wrench... It'll be a good problem solving exercise at least, and good experience.

If "SAK" can stick 100 gadgets between 2 liners your project is easy peasy....:D:eek:

I would make 3 separate tools and a belt sheath/tool pouch...if he loses one tool he loses all not predicting the future, but I had it happen and was without my corkscrew and the wine was staring at me like now what dummy!!!
I don't change choke tubes all that often, but the gut hook and knife would probably see some action.

That was kinda my thinking. I'd rather have everything seperate.
The idea I had was have one blade be a knife blade, and the other blade be the hook. Have the middle liner protrude past the butt of the knife by 1/8" or so, and cut it to the dimension of a choke wrench.

It'll be an interesting project at least

As long as the protrusion doesn't create a hot spot or interfere with either blade. If its a 12ga it might be very wide when you consider the slim lines of a slippie....

The width thing is exactly why I'm leaning towards a liner lock rather than a slipjoint.
I think I can make it work, I'll just make a formica and lexan prototype to see how it actually looks as an assembly before really jumping into it.
At least I don't need to cram a bottle opener, cork screw, and scissors into it as well....

Back