My first GAW, your first SAK

Good evening and happy weekend porch rockers!

Since I've had so much fun participating in a number of recent GAWs, and especially since I was fortunate enough to have just won that special peanut from solphilos solphilos I thought it was time to offer my own GAW.

Admittedly, what I have to offer is not terribly special, unique, or even valuable. But it is a classic, and a staple seen frequently in the "what are you totin'" thread. I'm offering a virtually unused Victorinox SAK Cadet in silver Alox. Almost immediately after buying it, I bought an identical knife, but with my initials engraved. So I'm offering the non-personalized one here.

Rules are few, and simple, yet hard for me to validate, so I'm asking that we operate on the honor principle:

• Entry must never have owned an SAK before. I'd like for this GAW to introduce someone to the elegant simplicity and utility of an SAK
  • Entry must not have won a GAW in the past six months.
  • No entries on behalf of others.
  • Post a picture of your most often carried knife, along with your best/worst excuse for never having owned a SAK.
I'll run this for about a week or until entries start to trail off. Obligatory pictures of the offering. Good luck!

OY6BZz2l.jpg

aYJgoUWl.jpg

Not an entry as I carried Vic sak's for most of my youth. Just want to wish everyone good luck. And to say Astronaut FX Astronaut FX great GAW! I'm actually planning to buy a sak tomorrow, I had to go to a hardware store near where I'm working this week. They have a Victorinox case! Didn't have the extra $$ yesterday and was to busy today. I volunteered to work tomorrow, I'm taking time to add a Vic to my collection after years of not having one. To the winner, you are about to recieve a GREAT knife:):thumbsup:

The Cadet is an awesome knife and would be great for someone's first :thumbsup:
This isn't an entry, but good luck to everyone!

Not an entry.
I'm a vintage antique. I don't remember what my first Swiss Army Knife was (I got it for my birthday or Christmas, in 1960 or 1961) ... or even if it was a Victorinox or Wenger.
I presently only have a SAK Signature, Classic SD, Huntsman, and a Recruit.

The Cadet is a great knife.

Last edited:
I definitely do not qualify for this one as I have owned SAKs most of my life but I wanted to say that is an awesome knife and thank you for hosting.This will be a neat way to introduce someone to SAKs especially the Alox variety. It will also be interesting to read folk's reasons for not owning one yet :)

Between you and @knarfeng I've had to use the dictionary twice today :)
I was wondering the same thing but maybe give it a little time...Friday nights can be slow around here sometimes.

Not an entry, as I have had several SAKs. My first is a Swiss champ, gifted from my nephew, who prefers tactical knives. My favorite was a OHT, but it seems to be hiding. Of course, I always have a Classic SD in my pocket. Never had an alox model, though. Probably buy an alox Farmer, of I can find one. Whoever wins, I know you'll enjoy this knife. Victorinox makes a fine product.

Last edited:
Not an entry since not only have I had SAKs since I was 6, I have SAKs now, and even my daughter has a SAK at 4. They are good little knives. Also, I have won a GAW in the last 6 months, so I wouldn't qualify that way anyway. But I wanted to give you some props for the GAW.

Here is a picture of my most commonly carried knife (the 2015 Forum Knife), just because I enjoy the participation :)
View media item 415

Lots of SAK's for me over the years so not an entry but thank you for the GAW. You may be hard pressed to find folks that have never had a SAK among a bunch of knife knuts but best of luck. :thumbsup:

I too have had a Victorinox in my pocket for at least 29 years. But cool giveaway!!

Back