My first HI Khukuri, the M43 by Thirta Kami

Hi there everyone,

My name is Nik from Sabah (a state in East Malaysia) also formerly known as British North Borneo.

This is my first post and boy am I excited. :D

I have been waiting for quite some time to get me a HI Khukuri and out of the many khukuris, the M43 chose me! Haha, when I saw it for the first time I knew I had to get one! And I am well pleased with it.

Auntie Yangdu was very polite and helpful to make my first HI purchase a memorable and pleasant one. Dhere Dhanyabaad (Thank you very much) Auntie! :)

This is just a simple photo review with a some cut tests. ;)

So here we go...

Here is the M43 on display:

IMG_0346.jpg

With karda and chakmak:

IMG_0358.jpg

Sheathed:

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

On it's side:

IMG_0352.jpg

Spine:

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Buffalo handle:

IMG_0353.jpg

Butt cap:

IMG_0399.jpg

Markings:

UB
IMG_0397.jpg

Kami mark: Kami Thirta aka Beer Mug Kami

This is what Auntie Yangdu replied when I posted her the kami mark photo to be identified...

"Tirtha Kami mark
His trade mark is beer mug.
He loves beer makes great Knife.
He is our number one Kami in the shop." - Auntie Yangdu

IMG_0395.jpg

Balancing act: Pretty cool I reckon :cool:

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Now for some cut tests... ;)

P2100511.jpg

Side by side with an Aranyik Enep:

P2100512.jpg

I love the raw power of the M43!

P2100521.jpg

P2100526.jpg

Done! :thumbup:

P2100527.jpg

P2100528.jpg

I tested it out of the box. I had not sharpened it prior to the test.

Still doing good! :D

After cleaning up the blade shows no signs of wear. Pretty solid blade. Nice. :cool:

P2100553.jpg

Now for some sharpening:

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

Now pretty sharp and ready for more action! :D

IMG_0421.jpg

Summary:

I am pretty pleased with this HI M43 Khukuri. I have handled many other khukuris from other companies but HI M43 wins in fit and finish (solid as a tank), balance, blade quality and durability. Looks cool, even the leather on the sheath smells of quality! hehe.. :D

Thanks for watching!

Nik (Proud owner of HI M43) :cool:

excellent review
and excellent balancing act!!

Hehe, I actually didn't know it could do that. I tried first using it's sheath and was surprised how well it balanced. I took it a step further and was even more surprised! Pretty awesome!

Thanks bro!

Thanks Jay, saya pun kagum ia dapat jadi begitu tajam. (I am impressed it could get that sharp) :)

I need a khukuri and after seeing yours it makes me want an M43. That is a great looking knife.

Hey nepki. Congratulations on your M43 and Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for the nice write up on your new khukuri and its first workout. I also appreciate all the nice photos that you included. I knew that Tirtha was a good kami, but it is really nice to see that he can make a "balance" khukuri. I have picked up a few that are balanced the same. Getting the front/ rear balance point is easy...for the kami to forge the blade so that it balances from side to side is a little trickier and takes some skill, I'm sure.

Enjoy your new addition and speak up here on the Forum any time. We'd be glad to hear from you.

Rick

Great pix, thank you for sharing
Welcome to the HI and forum

Gorgeous blade! Lovin that sharpening stone, too! What is it and how do you like it? Your technique must be pristine to get such a sharp edge using just one rock. Please elaborate!

Nepki, brother, we are going to enjoy having you in this forum! Keep up the reviews, please. :)

Ms. Yangdu Martin after seeing Nik's silky smooth legs using the HI M-43 I have a question. Can HI kamis make me a lighter M-43 on a "Special Order"?
The only change I would like is a reduction in weight to about 25 oz. What do you think? Can this be done?

Nice first purchase Nik.
Dog Face by Photos8.com Creative commons Lis 2.0.jpg
Picture by Photos8.com

I need a khukuri and after seeing yours it makes me want an M43. That is a great looking knife.

Yeah bro, I really love my first HI Khukuri, the M43. Seriously, get it bro. :)

Last edited:
Hey nepki. Congratulations on your M43 and Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for the nice write up on your new khukuri and its first workout. I also appreciate all the nice photos that you included. I knew that Tirtha was a good kami, but it is really nice to see that he can make a "balance" khukuri. I have picked up a few that are balanced the same. Getting the front/ rear balance point is easy...for the kami to forge the blade so that it balances from side to side is a little trickier and takes some skill, I'm sure.

Enjoy your new addition and speak up here on the Forum any time. We'd be glad to hear from you.

Rick

Thanks Rick for the warm welcome. I really appreciate it. :)

Yeah, Thirta did a good job with the side to side balance thing. Still blows my mind how all of it was done by hand. Definitely a God given talent.

Cheers bro!

Great pix, thank you for sharing
Welcome to the HI and forum

Thank you so much Auntie for all your help and welcoming me on the forum. It was through your encouragement that I decided to post this brief review of the M43.

Blessings,

Nik

Gorgeous blade! Lovin that sharpening stone, too! What is it and how do you like it? Your technique must be pristine to get such a sharp edge using just one rock. Please elaborate!

Hey bro,

The stone belonged to my late dad who passed away in 2002. He was the one that really got me interested in knives. He picked up the stone from a river in Kampung Nabutan, Ranau, Sabah, Malaysia. I was probably in my high school days (17-18 years old).

He loved sharpening his parangs and I would watch him doing it. I never actually tried sharpening those days but it was only in 2008 through a friend from Colorado, he introduced me to folding knives, namely Spyderco. Since then I slowly developed an interest for knives and started practising how to sharpen them.

I only use this stone for light 'jobs'. My M43 came sharp but not shaving sharp so I use my dad's stone to do that (with a lot of practice).

For heavy duty sharpening I use this:

IMG_0434.jpg

The knife is a Khukuri House Multi-Craft.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

I picked up this stone near a waterfall in Kampung Bitoon, Nunuk Ragang, Sabah, Malaysia.

I took it because of its unique shape. Never have I seen a stone naturally occurring like this. It was sitting in the corner of my room for years.

It was through Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker that gave me the idea to use it as a sharpening stone. Hehe :D

Anyways, I am going to show how I use my dad's stone:

I am going to sharpen my M43 karda. It came sharp but not paper cutting sharp as you can see:

I tried to cut the paper. It only left a dent on the paper.

IMG_0424.jpg

I tried slicing the paper against the cutting mat but it only left a mark.

IMG_0425.jpg

I am now going to show how I use my dad's stone...

1) Use single forward strokes to the right. (start from base of the blade and follow through till the tip). If you have experience with the Triangle Sharpmaker and have viewed the demo video you will understand what I mean.

2) Don't drag it back to yourself. Maintain your angle. No need to apply strong pressure.

IMG_0428.jpg

Do the same for the other side. Single strokes to the left. Maintain angle. Again, no need for strong pressure.

IMG_0427.jpg

Keep repeating the process until you feel that it is sharp enough.

Now for the paper cut test:

Not bad...

IMG_0430.jpg

It slices through nicely...

IMG_0431.jpg

Leg hair test...

IMG_0433.jpg

There you go... The whole process took between 5 -10 mins (including taking photos) but took me years to get to where I am now. "Ancora imparo" Latin for "I am still learning". :)

Blessings,

Nik

Last edited:
Nepki, brother, we are going to enjoy having you in this forum! Keep up the reviews, please. :)

Thanks for the welcome bro! I really appreciate it. :)

At the moment I only have the M43 bro but I do promise to do if I get more HI Khukuris.

Cheers bro,

Nik

Back