My first HI Khukuri, the M43 by Thirta Kami

...Can HI kamis make me a lighter M-43 on a "Special Order"?
The only change I would like is a reduction in weight to about 25 oz. What do you think? Can this be done?...

You can email Yangdu and ask her if they can do this for you. It used to be that Master Bura could produce an 18" khukuri that would weigh in at 24-27oz. Bura's long time helper Lachhu seems to be doing a good job on some styles while keeping the weights reasonable. And the newer kamis have been around for a while now and have worked on a number of the HI styles so they may have refined their craft enough to be able to make what you're looking for. The finished product may wind up 2-3oz. over your 25oz., but they may be able to get it close without taking the spine thickness down. Let Yangdu know what you want and she can look into it for you.

Nepki thank you so much for taking the time to show us that much detail! Those are some awesome natural stones, and I agree the large one is like nature's sharpmaker lol. I'm still amazed how well you got a stone to work on a long kukri! I'm pretty good with a stone, but for longer blades i use a file and a puck, and planned on using leather, sandpaper, and compound when I get a kukri. Which is hopefully very soon!

Thanks again!

Nepki thank you so much for taking the time to show us that much detail! Those are some awesome natural stones, and I agree the large one is like nature's sharpmaker lol. I'm still amazed how well you got a stone to work on a long kukri! I'm pretty good with a stone, but for longer blades i use a file and a puck, and planned on using leather, sandpaper, and compound when I get a kukri. Which is hopefully very soon!

Thanks again!

No worries bro, glad to help out :)

All the best on your purchase on your kukri... very soon I hope.. :)

How do you like the horn handle? does it slip in your hand at all when chopping?

I didn't notice any slipping while doing the chopping tests. The large pommel helps against that but I have not tested it in wet conditions. I have other khuks with buffalo horn handle that aren't polished and they have a better grip. I might consider sanding my M43 handle or wrapping it with leather or racquet grips. Will try wrapping first and if it makes the handle too large to handle I'll opt for "unpolishing" the handle.

It used to be that Master Bura could produce an 18" khukuri that would weigh in at 24-27oz.
Thanks stickfred, you and Karda have given me this advice. Guess I was using you two to kick the idea around.
kukri dimensions by Berkley.jpg
Dimensions by Berkley from IKRHS

If HI can reduce the Kukri weight to 24 oz (or 680 grams). That would be a fine weight for me and close to the original WWII M-43's weight.
Email sent. Thanks again :thumbup:.

No problem sweetcostarica. We all need some guidance some time and maybe a little push now and then. 24oz. is a little light for an 18" blade of that design(wide blade front and chiruwa handle), so it may come in a few ounces over and may even have a narrower spine to get that weight. Consider what your use will be and what you really need. The only khukuris I've found in that weight range are the Chainpuri and Gelbu Special...the narrower bladed khuks. Whatever happens, I hope that you can get what you're looking for.

For a traditional MkII/M43, 24 ounces is just about right and possibly on the heavy side. The M43 is not supposed to be a heavy chopper with a half inch spine. It is supposed to have a 1/4 - 3/8 " spine that evenly tapers from the handle to the tip. It also evenly tapers from the spine to the edge. There is also a taper on the full tang from bolster to butt plate.

The handle should be slightly less than one third the overall 18 inches and no where in the description should the word heavy appear. When you pick it up it should become part of you and feel alive.

Nepki

Great thread. Welcome. I don't yet own a Khukuri...but that M43 might just be the one.

One thing that I thing you've done for us all...Shown us the value of being able to sharpen freehand. I am sure that beautiful stone is some natural mineral that would be suitable for productions stones...like the American Arkansas stones. If you can free hand, you can sharpen anywhere, anytime, with anything.

I'll add to look at an ASTK. The HI M43 is a heavy duty blade, but still well balanced. I recently received an ASTK and was blown away by how much it shared these traits. It reminds me of the HI M43 more than a little. Anyone eyeing the M43, but awaiting a DOTD, should keep their eyes peeled for one of the lighter weight ASTKs. IMHO it fills the same niche pretty well. As a matter of fact, if I shaved the shoulder angle on my ASTK a little, it would cause an M43 fan to do a double-take. Take care.

Nepki

Great thread. Welcome. I don't yet own a Khukuri...but that M43 might just be the one.

One thing that I thing you've done for us all...Shown us the value of being able to sharpen freehand. I am sure that beautiful stone is some natural mineral that would be suitable for productions stones...like the American Arkansas stones. If you can free hand, you can sharpen anywhere, anytime, with anything.

Thanks for the welcome bro. I really appreciate it. :)

As for freehand sharpening I'm still learning and today I made my very own leather strop. Practice makes perfect. Cheers. :)

For a traditional MkII/M43, 24 ounces is just about right and possibly on the heavy side. The M43 is not supposed to be a heavy chopper with a half inch spine. It is supposed to have a 1/4 - 3/8 " spine that evenly tapers from the handle to the tip. It also evenly tapers from the spine to the edge. There is also a taper on the full tang from bolster to butt plate
Thanks for this response Bill. That was very informative.

hi m43 b.jpg
Above Photo from ZVIS.com

Just wanted to update you and our friends here about custom ordering a lighter Himalayan Imports M43.
On Feb. 12, 2012 I went ahead and ordered a HI M-43 with the requirements/specifications of:

-Villager fit and finish
-Wood handle
-24 oz (680 grams) Weight

Price: 195.00 USD sent by PayPal at 10:43 am Alaskan time.

Two months and it has not arrived yet but I know it takes a while for special orders. When I receive the closer to original M-43 you know there will be a video review :thumbup:.

Just wanted to update you and our friends here about custom ordering a lighter Himalayan Imports M43.
On Feb. 12, 2012 I went ahead and ordered a HI M-43 with the requirements/specifications of:

-Villager fit and finish
-Wood handle
-24 oz (680 grams) Weight

Sweetcoastarica,

Funny you should ask for that weight, yesterday I received an old military issued 1943 MkII made by ATD, it melts into your hand. The weight and balance are as close to perfect as you can ask. It weighed 667 grams! (with a bone dry handle and part of the butt plate gone, so its as close to your desired weight as possible)

I hope you get yours soon.

Back