Photos My first lock-stitching project (& such)

OK so I realize this is the sheaths and such forum but is this not "& such" lol? I felt like this would be the subforum where I could get the best advice on my sewing... Mods if you don't want this here please move it to outdoor gear.

This is my first attempt at lock-stitching, note this IS NOT PPE, I won't even attempt to sew any eye-splices on actual PPE for a long time to come (and if/when i do I'll have them professionally pull-tested-to-yield before using another like it). This, and the next several I make will just be used as equipment tethers or other NON-PPE uses.

This is 7mm new england accessory cord (kernmantle rope), sewn with #002 kevlar thread and a rounded tip needle. On the 2 outer lines (what do you call a line of stitches?) I tried to grab about 1/3 of the kern on each pass, on the middle set of stitches i tried to keep it right down the middle of the kern. The breaking strength of this thread (I personally tested) is ~52lbs, the loop has a total of 40 stitches (third row not pictured, i was using my phone for music so didn't photo the first or last passes) meaning this should hold 2080lbs, yes the cord is rated MUCH higher but the hitch I tie (a 4 over 1 Distal) slips on 11mm rope at 1750-1800lbs so I have a slight margin above that (and again, this will never be used as PPE).

Im posting here in hopes that someone might have and advice / pointers or anything...

CFhZ2jA.jpg

rq4KbKJ.jpg

I'm sure most people here know how to lock stitch but heres a little step by step

Shove awl threw
UsFVqoV.jpg

Put bobbin end of thread threw
hB7Nwzu.jpg

Pull back out
PvuN0rE.jpg

I know litetally nothing about sewing, I'm a 30something year old dude lol. I'd be grateful for ANY advice anyone wants to give, even if it seems super basic to you I probably haven't heard it before...

Edit: couple finished pics
pjag79F.jpg

zhSOW3d.jpg

Last edited:
OK so I realize this is the sheaths and such forum but is this not "& such" lol? I felt like this would be the subforum where I could get the best advice on my sewing... Mods if you don't want this here please move it to outdoor gear.
Did someone tell you not to post this kind of subject? If so they are wrong.
There are some "& Such" threads here, but the largest volume by far is knife sheaths. Hmmm, I wonder why Blade Forums would have so many knife sheaths? :p

Looks okay for the purpose. If you'd bet your life on it, you should be good to go. Me, being anal, I'd put a "hangman's wrap" around the whole thing
just to finish it off. One last extra layer of security.

Paul

I've came up with a specific question...

How should I terminate the stitch? The way I did it was to shove the awl through then pull the thread out of the needle and then pull the awl back then tie a square knot now that I had both strands on the same side and then melt it together but I was wondering if there was a more ideal knot to use or more ideal overall termination method?

If you'd bet your life on it, you should be good to go.

Absolutely not! For comparison here's the same cord, tied in a 4-over-1 Distal as my primary lanyard adjuster (I'm a tree climber) but the cord is terminated with double fisherman's knots, as is the lanyard rope to the rope snap.
It'll be a LONG time before I'm even ready to pay to send something I sew off for testing (and I'm not crazy, I wouldn't even think of using untested / non-rated equipment for PPE)! Maybe after a hundred more practice loops I might be ready to try, the end goal is to make the same lanyard pictured below but with all sewn eyes but thats not a short term goal...

DGhVwdB.jpg

I've came up with a specific question...

How should I terminate the stitch? The way I did it was to shove the awl through then pull the thread out of the needle and then pull the awl back then tie a square knot now that I had both strands on the same side and then melt it together but I was wondering if there was a more ideal knot to use or more ideal overall termination method?
Good question, and one that comes up often. I see you use the Lock Stitch, on a machine its a simple reverse a few stitches and cut or burn off the ends which produces a nice flat end that doesnt pull out easily.
That said, I only do Saddle Stitch (two needle hand stitching) but the theory is the same. I back stitch a few holes and cut the thread nearly flush then use a wood burning tool to flatten the ends. The ends can be pushed back into the hole afterwards for a much cleaner look. Knots not necessary

Thanks for the advice, put it to practice tonight making this.

Again its not technically PPE so no worries about how strong it is, this is a backup harness i keep for my buddy but my main rope ascent device requires a longitudinal belay loop to keep it orientated (not for the main weight bearing connection, just to hold the device in position) so it was always a pain to use with this saddle. Same 7mm nylon cord, this time with ~70 stitches.

FEHm1jD.jpg

ooIiZVQ.jpg

bRZub81.jpg

My web site is www.armoralleather.com
Facebook is armoralleather my other facebook account has art work DK Puckett Art
Instagram is d.k.puckett (has my art work as well)
My sub forum here under armoralleather has a lot of pictures and information

I think that's it!

as for pricing, my sheaths start out for that length at 120.00 goes up from there as to what your wanting to put on it.

Thanks much!
Dwayne

Back