My First Randall, M23 Gamemaster, a Question?

An older M23 I think, not stainless, brass hilt.

Randalls literature states the top of the blade is sharpened for 2 inches, mine isn't really sharp enough to cut my finger. Does anyone really sharopen the top of the knife and, if so, to what degree? What's it really used for?

thanks,

Rob

s-l1600.jpg

Rob,
Very nice little knife!
This is a nickel silver guard with black and alloy spacers,not brass.Blade steel is 01 Swedish tool steel.
Butt plate has a black spacer with nickel silver plate.(I have a model 26 with this same setup)

As for sharpening the top edge,my 1-7 is,as it helps to penetrate,but can be a pain when you need to push on it,eg cutting cheese.
Same goes with my 14,15,and 16.
Since these blades are a little heavier,the sharper top is good for light chopping.
My 14 has a 35 degree top edge.
Up to you if you want it sharp though,
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info on yours, it does help. And, of course you're correct, the guard and butt are nickel silver

"... sharpened for 2 inches, mine isn't really sharp enough to cut my finger. Does anyone really sharopen the top of the knife ..."

Since the top edge of my Model #23 cuts paper very easily, I'm not ready to try it on my finger!
...and, though I don't have an immediate need for that edge to be sharp, it conceivably could find a use someday, so I'll leave it sharp until I move to one of the places that outlaws double-edged blades.
-Steve

The top edge on my Randall’s aren’t really sharp like the cutting edge. But they aren’t quite dull either. There are no visible edge bevel on any of them.

To the OP's question. The top edge is generally ground to be a little tougher and is intended for joint work and other activities that could dull the main edge.

Last edited:
Back