my first Randall

holo07

Gold Member
Platinum Member
Hi Guys, New to Randall's but not new to knives. I traded a bunch of factory knives for this, but do have a few a questions.I know its not mint but it is a Randall and my 1st.

Is this a Gamemaster model 23?

How old is the knife?

Where can I get a new sheath?

Thank you

DSCN2678.JPG
DSCN2679.JPG
DSCN2680.JPG

It is a Gamemaster 23. A member here made me a sheath for my gamemaster. @Makael does beautiful work. He might be able to make you one. See post number 1320 in the Show is your Randall thread.

Your sheath is an old Johnson Roughback which probably dates the knife to the mid-late 60's. If my memory serves me correctly, Randall went to the seven spacer configuration in the late 60's to early 70s so your knife is before then. It has character-I like it.

What's the difference between a #23 and a #8-4? Looking at the pictures on the RMK website it looks like the overall blade height of a #23 is taller, a deeper choil, and the tip is above the centerline. This knife looks more like the current #8, but I know that the grinds vary (like all hand work does) and that they've evolved over time. Is the blade thickness different?

Model #8 blade is 3/16 inch; Model #23 blade is 1/4 inch.
Picture of 2 Model 8 and 1 Model 23 for comparison:
3%20knives.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3yvdufypurwza4/3 knives.jpg?dl=0
-Steve

What should I use to clean up the handle?

Reactions: w
FWIW, I just purchased a new Sullivan made sheath for the model 23 (with stone) from my preferred Randall dealer at a very good price. He is not a member here, I will therefore refrain from mentioning him.

Your sheath is an old Johnson Roughback which probably dates the knife to the mid-late 60's. If my memory serves me correctly, Randall went to the seven spacer configuration in the late 60's to early 70s so your knife is before then. It has character-I like it.

It has character, that much is true; the rest is not. The Model #23 was introduced in 1972. All stacked leather handled RMK's have always been five spacer knives, and while it is a JRB, the sheath has been modified; neither the keeper strap or stone pocket are original to the sheath shown.

A good user, have fun with it.

Leather Honey will work well on both the handle and the sheath. Only use a little, it goes a long way.

Back