My first Rat

Got my new Gen 1 Ratweiler last night! Never sharpened or used. Very happy with it so far..my first Busse/kin knife. Handle will take a bit of getting used to but I think I got a great deal overall. Any idea of a kydex maker that may have a pattern for a Gen1 Rat? :).

Swamp%20Rat.jpg

Heck of a way to start out!!! As far as plastic sheaths go I think David Brown can do it for you but imo a knife that nice should be put in leather not plastic.

Dave does have an original on his knife list. Congrats BTW, I'm still looking to score an original.

Heck of a way to start out!!! As far as plastic sheaths go I think David Brown can do it for you but imo a knife that nice should be put in leather not plastic.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think that knife is THAT nice. I mean it's obviously a popular knife for collectors, but it's powder coated with synthetic handle…. not like it's a shiny custom piece with ivory handles.

I would argue that kydex would be the best choice for a knife that size for puncture resistance alone, if you are going to carry it the last thing you want is a leather sheath IMO for this reason.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think that knife is THAT nice...it's powder coated with synthetic handle…. not like it's a shiny custom piece with ivory handles.

It depends on what you want to use it for. SRKW and Busse knives are well known hard use knives. Military personnel and outdoor adventurers use them. It's not strictly a 'custom'. I would call it a limited-production knife. In the environment this type of knife is designed, a shiny blade and Ivory handle would not be very practical.

I have custom knives I love and use for hunting or camping. Kind of my Sunday-go-to-meeting knife. My favorite, a hand-forged 52100 custom Scagel #17 reproduction by P.J. Tomes. It has synthetic and German nickle washer stacked grip with a Deer Crown Butt-Cap. Absolutely beautiful! But, if I knew I was going some place dicey, my well-used and well traveled 'custom' Randall model #14 would go with me.

As our UK cousins say, "Horses for courses."

SJ

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think that knife is THAT nice. I mean it's obviously a popular knife for collectors, but it's powder coated with synthetic handle…. not like it's a shiny custom piece with ivory handles.
..... see I am 180degs opposite on this. I see that knife, with it utilitarian construction and dull appearance MUCH more appealing than a shiny custom with embellishments. I find the practical aspects and applications to be the things that attract. But this is what makes the world a wonderful place, we all get to decide what we like :) :) :)

..... see I am 180degs opposite on this. I see that knife, with it utilitarian construction and dull appearance MUCH more appealing than a shiny custom with embellishments. I find the practical aspects and applications to be the things that attract. But this is what makes the world a wonderful place, we all get to decide what we like :) :) :)

Agree 100%, just normally when I hear the "I'd put that in leather" comment it's something that is shiny and well adorned. I'd much rather have form follow function also, just saying that with a powder coat finish which is almost a protective layer of sorts and micarta handle I wouldn't be concerned about marks from kydex.

Now, having been seriously bitten by a large Busse I can't view sheaths as anything anymore other than a means of carrying your knife without a large degree of risk being penetrated/perforated by it through whatever activities I happen to be engaged in.

Quality kydex with adequate retention tends to equate to fulfilling this requirement for me. Leather can get soaked and therefore loses a large amount of resilience to being deformed, kydex will not. Not to mention a heavy impact in just the right way (ie. falling) will have leather more likely to get punctured by the knife inside it.

Agree 100%, just normally when I hear the "I'd put that in leather" comment it's something that is shiny and well adorned. I'd much rather have form follow function also, just saying that with a powder coat finish which is almost a protective layer of sorts and micarta handle I wouldn't be concerned about marks from kydex.

Now, having been seriously bitten by a large Busse I can't view sheaths as anything anymore other than a means of carrying your knife without a large degree of risk being penetrated/perforated by it through whatever activities I happen to be engaged in.PO

Quality kydex with adequate retention tends to equate to fulfilling this requirement for me. Leather can get soaked and therefore loses a large amount of resilience to being deformed, kydex will not. Not to mention a heavy impact in just the right way (ie. falling) will have leather more likely to get punctured by the knife inside it.

Yes and no to your argument.
I've always preferred kydex sheaths over leather for the same reasons you mention, but the last year+ of working with leather has changed my opinion on how it behaves.
Retention - ask Andy if the DSSF or the ASH-1's will just fall out from the sheaths I made for them with retaining straps undone. They don't. I've made a sheath for a Fiddleback knife without retention strap and I could wear it handle down without much fear that the knife will fall out. It's in the design/the way they're made, I wouldn't take factory/generic sheaths into consideration though.
Cut resistance - that obviously will always be an issue with leather, buy there are also ways of increasing leather's hardness/durability.
Soaking - again an issue, but it also can be addressed, soaking in melted beeswax will saturate the leather so it will not soak in water, and also harden and stiffen leather to address the previous point.
Falling - again a thing that the design has a huge impact on.

I've seen a beautifully made leather sheath for ASHBM by a guy 'who is into' bushcrafting, he made it the same way he makes sheaths for the 4-ish inch bushcraft blades... the owner of the sheath just let the knife slide in by its own weight and about 2-3 inches of the blade came out the bottom, it cut through the welt because of the way too big drainage hole...

As for kydex, I think (not experienced that yet, as in those temps I tend to hide indoors or at least shade) that extended exposure to temps above 105F AND sun would cause kydex to just start being soft enough to loose retention and start deforming. Not catastrophic failure level, but soft enough to start loosing shape. I hope someone can say that it isn't so because he's been there and done that.

Howdy elof. Speaking to the last paragraph of your post, I have one sheath that has/is subjected to those kind of temperatures. It is the Mashed Cat sheath for my 711. That knife rides in the truck at all times and it regularly gets 100F+ here. The inside temp of the vehicle is much higher than that at times, but I have not seen any change in the sheath retention wise or other. However, Eric makes a quality sheath and I believe it is heavy .093 kydex, so thinner material could maybe be more apt to deform??? Anyway, that is the only one I have that I can speak to.

ETA: I didn't catch the caveat "AND sun" at first. Even though mine is exposed to the high temp, it is shielded from the sun. I could see where direct sun in such heat on black kydex could pose a problem.

Also, as you know, I've no problem with leather ;)

How about Kydex lined leather? I had one of these (see link below) made for a SRKW Ratweiler and it worked quite well. Since I no longer have the knife and the sheath was specifically made for left-hand and mount (I wanted it to out of the way of a rifle) my venerable old UK MOD (Ministry Of Defense) Jungle Knife now resides in it. Martin uses some kind of mutant Reindeer hide, tough as nails, to cover the Kydex liner.

http://martinsheaths.blogspot.com/2008/06/kydex-leather-for-swamprat-ratweiler.html

SJ

I am not saying there is anything wrong with Kydex but just my personal opinion it "feels cheap". I am in no way saying they don't have their places I just look at them differently. If I am going to keep a knife in a safe or storage then that's where I like Kydex but if I am going to be wearing it and using it leather to me just feels more natural. Then again this is all purely my opinion.

Also all my leather sheaths are built for the knives they carry save one and that's because I haven't had the funds around to have one custom made for it yet so its still in the stock BHK leather sheath.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with Kydex

No worries, man. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

I never particularly liked Kydex for carrying a sidearm. Especially, Inside the Waistband. I thought the 'klack-klack' noise they make when hit against something hard could put me in compromising position. Apparently I'm in the minority given the popularity of Kydex tactical rigs out there. I still prefer leather and that's what I have.

How about Kydex lined leather? I had one of these (see link below) made for a SRKW Ratweiler and it worked quite well. Since I no longer have the knife and the sheath was specifically made for left-hand and mount (I wanted it to out of the way of a rifle) my venerable old UK MOD (Ministry Of Defense) Jungle Knife now resides in it. Martin uses some kind of mutant Reindeer hide, tough as nails, to cover the Kydex liner.

http://martinsheaths.blogspot.com/2008/06/kydex-leather-for-swamprat-ratweiler.html

SJ

Hi SC, I was just looking at that site! lol

Retention - ask Andy if the DSSF or the ASH-1's will just fall out from the sheaths I made for them with retaining straps undone. They don't.
... exactly, both have an almost "click" feel to them on insertion and removal, especially the Skinny ASH sheath. I do have fondness for both types of sheath, that is obvious when you see what I own. I really do prefer leather for my hunting blades and kydex for my working/survival blades. I am a bit of a traditionalist with the former. I have numerous blades that have a sheath crafted out of each medium.

If that is Martin Swinkles site you guys are looking at for Kydex/Leather sheaths, do your homework and maybe search a little for why he is banned here. Dave Brown (Buy Brown) does some interesting Kydex/Leather hybrids as well !!!

Last edited:
Back