My first real "batch" WIP

Jonnymac's WIP inspired me to stop experimenting with different knife styles and fiddling with folders for a little bit and whip out my first "batch" of knives.

I think this will be a good chance to see how much time and money it'll take ME to make a pretty standard knife. I thought i could make a WIP out of it with times it took me to do processes etc. and more experienced makers could give me a hand identifying where I'll need to improve. Because i have no idea how long others take to make a knife.

SO it begins...

I forgot to keep track of time for the making of templates and transferring onto steel. but I'm estimating it took a couple of hours.

Eight in sandvik 12c27 and 1 in leftover D2. 4mm stock. Along with the angle grind that's going to be doing all the hard work.
62352065.jpg

The aftermath. Just under 2 hours later.

62346484.jpg

The Product. Nine knives rough profiled with an angle grinder at just under 13 minutes each.

34428079.jpg

55189519.jpg

Now to go clean up the profile...

Yeah, this goes for you and Johnny both. Dont start this thread and leave us hanging. I expect to see nine finished knives at the end of this thread!!! :)

It looks like you are off to a good start!

Yeah, this goes for you and Johnny both. Dont start this thread and leave us hanging. I expect to see nine finished knives at the end of this thread!!! :)

Um, Matt....if you've been paying attention you would have noticed that I've actually made a wee bit of progress!:p:D

Tim, this is what I've been waiting for from you! Nice profiles, can't wait to see things shape up:thumbup:

I love watching these threads. Can't wait to see how everything comes together.

Great start! Keep us posted on your progress.

Fred

Thanks Fred. Will do!

Thanks for posting Matt. It may be a wait from finished pre-ht to handling them but They'll definitly get finished!

This is gonna be cool.

Look at that stack of profiles... nice!

Thanks Daniel

It looks like you are off to a good start!

Thanks Mitchell

Um, Matt....if you've been paying attention you would have noticed that I've actually made a wee bit of progress!:p:D

Tim, this is what I've been waiting for from you! Nice profiles, can't wait to see things shape up:thumbup:

Jonnys smashing em out. I'm just as keen as you to see them shape up.

2 more hours of work on the horizontal grinder and the profiles are mostly done. I just have to file out the finger choil*? area where i can't get to with the grinder. That will have to wait until tomorrow though. I have to go help the girlfriend set up for a dinner party.

53216286.jpg

Tim,a quarter is our slang for a 25 cent piece,a quarter of a dollar.
Good looking work man.
Stan

They're starting to shape up, Tim:thumbup: Lines are looking good and straight. Keep that flat in tact on the bottom one and I think it will look killer!

They're starting to shape up, Tim:thumbup: Lines are looking good and straight. Keep that flat in tact on the bottom one and I think it will look killer!

Thanks jonny. You like the flats? I think I prefer the full flat grind.

I have done both, and I think the flats give the knife a better more professional look. I think it's easier to do a full flat grind, but when you pull off leaving some flats and they are matched up perfectly it speaks to your abilities, so it's something to practice. They both have their place and you should do what feels right to you with your knives. I was just commenting:D

Keep it up Tim:thumbup:

Ok, thanks Jonny.

Nothing else to report on these ones because i got some blades back from HT that i had been waiting for, for nearly 2 months. Woohoo!

Back