My first real "batch" WIP

Haven't been working as hard on these because I've been having fun finishing a couple of knives. Plus I'm at college at the moment so I get home later and just don't get as much time to do knives. I think I'll have to alternate between pre-HT post-HT. Grind one finish one. Our these will never get done.

Anyway. Got one more rough beveled. I'll post the picture when I get home. My phone doesn't want to upload for some reason.

3 more rough ground.

It's been taking me ages to get the grinds straight and i finally figured out why. I'm using a 6" wide horizontal grinder. So because the whole blade is in contact with the belt at once, the blank has to be pefectly straight. Otherwise it wears more on the high spots and i get an uneven line. So i make sure to check every blade is straight and it's working better.
32610016.jpg

No idea why the photo ended upside down.

Only 2 more to rough out. When they're done i'll clean them all up a bit with the 80 then 120# belt. From then on it's hand sanding. I might do a tang taper on a couple too.

You may want to look for "sanding drums" you can chuck them up in a drill press or even hand drill to reduce your filing time cleaning those round spots. They come in a variety of diameters and grits. Looking good so far.

Loooking gooood, Tiiiiiiiiim! I am currently working on my first real batch as well (8 total.) I've always previously only done 1 or 2 at a time with a max of 4 I think once.

Good luck with your batch, and keep the photos coming!

You may want to look for "sanding drums" you can chuck them up in a drill press or even hand drill to reduce your filing time cleaning those round spots. They come in a variety of diameters and grits. Looking good so far.

It's not that the bars are lumpy or anything. Just a bit bent here and there. It's not too bad if i put them on a flat surface and bend them out a bit. Thanks for the tip though.

Inspirational, thanks for the thread :)

Would love to see more photos of your equipment.

Thanks Steven. My gear isn't much to look at but i can take some photos if you want.

Patrice Lemée;9484875 said:
Mystery solved! ;)

Good looking bunch there. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Haha, true Patrice. We are down under. Thanks for watching.

Loooking gooood, Tiiiiiiiiim! I am currently working on my first real batch as well (8 total.) I've always previously only done 1 or 2 at a time with a max of 4 I think once.

Good luck with your batch, and keep the photos coming!

Good luck to you too!

Looking good Tim! Are those two knives going to be combo ground like a hinderer spanto blade? Looking forward to seeing how they turn out!

Looking good Tim! Are those two knives going to be combo ground like a hinderer spanto blade? Looking forward to seeing how they turn out!

I had a quick look at the knife you mentioned. but it looks liek it has a hollow grind which i don't think i can do with my equipment. They're just going to a normal flat grind.

The production hinderers are flat ground all the way, the customs are are hollow ground by hand.

Would love to see your set up/tools whenever you're taking pics out there next :)

Good stuff mate. Flying the Aussie flag proudly. I look forward to seeing more of your work online.

Good stuff mate. Flying the Aussie flag proudly. I look forward to seeing more of your work online.

You know it bud.

No updates. I'm working on a birthday present which obviously has a deadline so this lot has been put to the side for a bit. I did take a few shop photos like Steven asked though. Nothing special and very messy :D

My belt grinder. Complete with broken disk sander.
33594830.jpg

Timber Bandsaw (really need a metal one) Sorry about the sideways action
22814746.jpg

Cheapy Drills Press
67253900.jpg

Run Down Vise
87027925.jpg

And lastly my messy messy bench.
23436401.jpg

Pretty much all the machines are my Dad's He's made a couple of guitars so I haven't had to buy much yet. Just consumables like belts, drills, sandpaper etc.

Thanks for the pics, that's really cool to see your area, it's like visiting over the internet :)

I'm going to buy a drill press soon, not sure how much to spend though, a dodgy $100 benchtop model or a $300 pedestal, from Gasweld. Any more $$$ is probably too much for now, I wouldn't get the value from it yet, if ever.

Nice looking design. The angle grinder with cutoff wheel can be a chore but you are obviously very proficient at it. Good pics - thanks for posting

Thanks for the pics, that's really cool to see your area, it's like visiting over the internet :)

I'm going to buy a drill press soon, not sure how much to spend though, a dodgy $100 benchtop model or a $300 pedestal, from Gasweld. Any more $$$ is probably too much for now, I wouldn't get the value from it yet, if ever.

I guess a drill press isn't a necessity but it really makes life easier especially when doing something like a folder.

Nice looking design. The angle grinder with cutoff wheel can be a chore but you are obviously very proficient at it. Good pics - thanks for posting

I don't mind using the angle grinder. Its just very loud and messy and I'm afraid I'm going to set the house alight. Especially cutting titanium. When doing this batch I stopped now and then and looked and smelt for smoke. Ha ha.

Good start for a shop Tim! :thumbup:

...not sure how much to spend though, a dodgy $100 benchtop model or a $300 pedestal, from Gasweld.

Steven. I highly suggest the 300$ pedestal one. It's something that you will use basically for life and small difference in price makes a big difference in quality, usability and practicality.

Thanks Patrice, I went ad had a look today, the $100 unit was a cheap toy, the $300 was much better but still had a bit of vertical play in the shaft. I'm in no rush and may look for a used industrial drill press at auction or from a closed down school or factory.

I do want to make folders on day Tim, saw your efforts and want to have a go too! Are you working on more folders?

I wear earmuffs when grinding but no mask, do you guys wear a respirator or something?

There are some nice looking blades coming to life there mate, keep up the good work and posting.

1 more Aussie watching from the side lines :D:thumbup:

Back