My first real "batch" WIP

I wear earmuffs when grinding but no mask, do you guys wear a respirator or something?

Steven, yes a respirator is VERY important at the grinder. That heavy steel dust once it gets in your lungs is there for life and can cause MAJOR problems down the line. Do a search on here for respirators and you'll find lots of information. Again this is not to be taken lightly. It is the first thing you should do before doing anymore grinding.

Patrice Lemée;9505584 said:
Steven, yes a respirator is VERY important at the grinder. That heavy steel dust once it gets in your lungs is there for life and can cause MAJOR problems down the line. Do a search on here for respirators and you'll find lots of information. Again this is not to be taken lightly. It is the first thing you should do before doing anymore grinding.

Well I took your advice and spent hours reading threads on respirators, now I feel bad for all the damage I must have done to my lungs over the years, all the stuff I must have breathed from grinding and sanding, welding etc. (not from knife making).

It looks like a 3M 6000 series might be the way to go, still have more reading to do. Won't grind anymore without one.

Thanks for the post!

Yes I have a 3M half mask myself but I will get a full face soon. Facial hair is a killer for the seal and no way I am shaving every time I go to the shop. ;)
And while I am at it, I'll use the 3M with P100 filters for g10/micarta/stabilized wood but get myself a Trend Airshield for the metal work at the grinder.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Trend-Airshield-Face-Shield/dp/tags-on-product/B001DSXUGO

I am so glad that this whole thread led to you looking into this Steven. Let us know what you choose and how it works out for you. Maybe we'll get the attention of others who are not aware of the risks.

Is the one on the top of blanks a nessmuck, I love those. When is that one going to cathc up to the others. I can't wait.

Is the one on the top of blanks a nessmuck, I love those. When is that one going to cathc up to the others. I can't wait.

Nah not really a nessy I wouldn't say. Just my version of the boker rhino. Yeah these have been put on hold while I finish up some more urgent stuff. I will get back to them soon though.

This batch got sidelined for a while. Other things came up and life got busy. Things are more under control now and i got the last of these blades rough ground.

batch.jpg

As things go, just as i was getting back into the swing of things, my old tired grinder has started making some very loud terminal sounding noises. I've started searching for a new one.

I think I'll taper the tang on some or most of these.

Thanks Damien. I'll start a thread on ABF.

Sorry, this WIP slowed right down didn't it. Well I've got a bit more time again for now. So we should see some more progress over the next couple of weeks.

On with it.

I got a chance to work on these tonight. I got them all ground up to 120#. Unfortunately i stuffed up the other big one...then tried to fix it...then tried to turn it into something else...then stuffed that. So I'm not even going to show you that one. Also i decided to put aside the lonely D2 blade and just work the rest of the 12c27.

87988558.jpg
83800919.jpg

I had a lot of hassle with the two tanto's, getting the grinds good enough, but I'm pretty happy with them now.
I've actually already tapered the tang on the big one which was probably a bit premature because i need to drill the pin holes.

So now I've got to work out all my pin placements and drill them. Then I'll taper some of the tangs.

Looking VERY good Tim :thumbup:

I love the gentle curves along the backs of all the knives, no straight edges, great shapes. :)

Why did you set aside the D2 for now?

How does it compare to the 12c27 to work with?

I ask as I'm about to finally order some steel from USAKM.com after months of delay, and am thinking of getting CPM D2 to work with.

I've only used rwl34, d2 and 12c27 so far (haven't had any 12c27 ht yet) and the d2 seems tougher than the others. I'd describe it as stubborn and not as fine.

I've got my pin and lanyard holes drilled now and I've started tapering tangs. 3 tangs done so far.

49379593.jpg

54762214.jpg

The difference in thickness after tapering.
28277878.jpg

11277073.jpg

Back