My first real "batch" WIP

Wow Tim,you do have some talent going,goes to show you don't need a lot of expensive equiptment.but I'm sure you will upgrade..Keep up the great work---Best Regards Butch:thumbup:

Thanks a lot Butch. I can't wait to ypgrade my grinder. I've seen videos of a KMG in action and can just tell it's going to make knife making 10x quicker if nothing else. Someone else here in Australia is going to be making themselves a grinder soon and offered to make me one while they were at it. YES PLEASE!

Your hand-satin finishes make me drool. What's your secret? ;)

Thanks Wolffy. I don't know about any secret but I can tell you my method.

Finish on belt grinder with 120# (as fine as my belts go)
Hand sand Horizontal with 120# using a block of wood under the paper.
Hand sand Vertical with 180# -------------------------------------- Making sure I get all the opposite scratches out with each grit.
Hand sand Horizontal with 240# ----------------------------------From 240# onwards I lubricate with a kerosene + multi-purpose oil mix.
Hand sand Vertical with 320#
Hand sand Horizontal with 400#

and ta da! silky smooth satin finish.

Got off my butt and sanded another one up. two to go.

20110904154058.jpg

I really like the blade shape of this one.

Only one left to sand up.

This is the only one without tang of distil taper.
20110906165455.jpg

Then I'm going to drill weight reduction/epoxy pin holes. As well as decide if i want to swedge, filework of do any jumping on them.

Looking awesome Tim! Hand sanding is hard work but you know how to make it pay off. Great looking blades.

EA

Cool thread, very interesting, nice knives. Thanks for chronicling how you guys with opposable thumbs and a couple more IQ points do things.

zippy1tx.jpg

Thats a quick turnaround for hills mate! They must be quiet!

Bruce Barnett treated two D2 blades for me on the weekend. Gee its great to finish a knife on friday and have it hardened and tempered (and RC tested mind you) and ready to go on Sunday morning! Its making me save for a evenheat!

Tiiiim, those look great!

-Daizee

Good stuff, a lot of work with all that hand sanding.... It took my fingers a year to recover from Gunsmithing school so I can feel your pain. I really like what you are doing, and thanks for all the pics.

Good stuff, a lot of work with all that hand sanding.... It took my fingers a year to recover from Gunsmithing school so I can feel your pain. I really like what you are doing, and thanks for all the pics.

I'm a furniture makers apprentice so I've got nearly 4 years of hand sanding under my belt. Not much bothers my hands anymore ;)

Another little update.

More scales ready for gluing. Red gum on the 3rd. Iron bark on the 4th.

20111024175431.jpg

One the knives in this batch with go to KITH. I did want to do a folder but I'm not quite up to scratch on the folder making to share yet.

Back