My first Siegle and still all time favorite of his...

Stump Buster

Gold Member
This ATS-34 Hardcore of Bill's (heat treated by Paul Bos) and convexed by Nathan Creech was my first taste of Bill's knives. I've since owned 4 or 5 more and although that is still a small percentage of his work, I'd put the ergo's of this knife's handle up against any of his others (and any other makers: factory or custom) for comfort in ALL grip positions. It is such a simple design, but I think that is the Beauty of it. It works!!! This really came to light last night when I was fondling another recent acquisition that I felt was finally the best handle released by that company as well. Where the Siegle edges out this other knife in the comfort department (the Busse SH-e2 pictured below), is the fact Bill dropped the front of the scales to the bottom of the ricasso. This little detail is overlooked by soo many makers, but it pays HUGE dividends in comfort when the guard is radiused to almost a perfect 90degrees to the belly of the handle (allowing it and the scales to act as a solid, wide and most importantly, comfortable "STOP" for the index finger). I've passed on or sold off so many knives that didn't have that feature due to raw/blistered index fingers contacting the exposed ricasso in use. If Bill ever re-released this model in 80CRV2, 3V, 5160, 52100 or some other specialty steel, I think it would be an unbeatable seller as a general purpose camp/survival/bushcraft blade. In the meantime, I'm glad I have this one!!! Thanks for making it Bill!!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back