My first stockman

Well, i did it. I have been making slip joints 6 months now, and have attempted a 3 blade stockman 5 times, and finally have learned all the techniques necessary to pull it off!
rukny7c.jpg

EfLWaun.jpg

It has some issues.

I messed up the handle geometry and the master blade tip stuck outside the handle, so i had to shorten the master clip blade and reprofile, i lost nearly 1/2".

I looked at the blade arrangement a dozen times and was convinced i was putting the nail pulls on the correct side, but i didnt. I had already started the asymmetrical grinds when i realized the error, so i had to put the master blade on the other side and cut another pull on the opposite side of the blade.

I made the little spey blade too narrow, and it is difficult to access its nail pull. I could of ground the handle down more but it would have looked weird. I could have ground a divot in the liner/wood too get more room, but i didnt. I made the wood thinner there and it made it usable, and i am content with that.

It is 1/2" thick which is too thick. Next time i will start with 3/32" bolsters and scales and use 0.025" liners.

I chipped the wood when doing the shield inlay.

I also really need to start grinding the nail nicks, i really dont like using a dremel cut off wheel.

I didnt get the middle sheeps foot blade centered. I ground it a bit too much before heat treat and first temporary assembly, and so couldnt grind it to center without making it too thin.

CkVx6gE.jpg

Overall, it was a fun experience, although frustrating i got mixed up on which blades went where when grinding and cutting nail pulls. Next time, i will temp assemble the knife and then mark nail pulls and what to grind where.

Last edited:
But - you made a stockman!!! I'm happy with a single blade slipjoint. Can't imagine trying a stockman. Those are HARD!!!

I have this forum to thank. Guys like javand, stacey, don, bill, so many others i cant think of this moment have made small comments that have had a dramatic impact on my techniques. I also got the book How to Make Multiblade Folding Knives, on recommendation from this forum, and that provided a few key points i needed. I thank you all for your time and helpful comments.

Back