My first Swamp Rat is a MMD

i bought a mountainmandu from a forums member, despite having pledged to only collect infi blades. The edge had taken a beating by its owner and some wheels, whether out of love or madness I can’t say. Wow, this is the perfect size knife! I guess sr-77 is gone?_for whatever reason. First I tried steel, but couldn’t get the gnarled edge back, so I went at it with the blue dmt(wish I’d had the black)and a 200 grit water stone. It’s almost there, the edge I mean, but I wonder, is sr-77 coming back? Or is infi now considered superior, even as a shock steel? It’s too dark for me to post pics, but I ain’t finished anyways. Thanks Mike, I hope you got your grail! I have a feeling this blade has a long career ahead of it smashing rocks! Well, and vegetation, wood splitting, etc.

Congrats man! I was very tempted by that one but let it go as I have lots of choppers already.

The MMD sounds like a beast though and iirc SR-77 should be the toughest steel available in the line-up. :thumbsup:

I think INFI is still considered as superior due to the balance of properties. Better edge-holding and corrosion resistance while maybe giving up a little toughness.

Yeah I couldn’t believe I scored one, truth is I hadn’t heard of it until I saw the listing. It’s a serious piece in my, actually it’s the only user I sling onto my back for those hikes into the monte. Partly because I only have a belt sheath for my bb13!

Well
Jerry just announce the MMD for this week in O2W
If its in Infi or SR101 I think I might pick one up...

It'll be interesting to see the specs and if any updates have been made to the design.

Well, when mine in sr-77 arrived I had to gift my previous choppers in 5160. If the price is right for a satin infi, I may have to upgrade my membership, as I will have many more unused blades to get rid of! Pretty much all of my non-busse collection will have to go, except for the machetes and smaller fixed blades.

I keep checking just to make sure it isn’t tomorrow already. This will be on SW site I assume. I heard they were done with sr77. I haven’t taken pics of mine, because I couldn’t find my wire wheels to strip it proper, just a little sanding and it’s quite ugly at the moment.

Take some paint stripper to it, it'll peel that coating a lot quicker!

The pic Jerry posted for awhile last night was satin SR 77

Slather the who damn thing in Citristrip and wrap it in foil for a half hour, clean off the gloop like mess the coating has been reduced to with rag and a brush, repeat slather and wrap for any persistent coating. Rub with an abrasive as needed. You will get a better job much easier.

I think all the OP2W offering are going via the Busse site (not specifically The Swamp or Yard).

Slather the who damn thing in Citristrip and wrap it in foil for a half hour, clean off the gloop like mess the coating has been reduced to with rag and a brush, repeat slather and wrap for any persistent coating. Rub with an abrasive as needed. You will get a better job much easier.
agreed

I think all the OP2W offering are going via the Busse site (not specifically The Swamp or Yard).
This was not the case for previous O2W offerings...the exceptions being infi-bladed versions.

Copy that, none the less the correct instructions will be in the posting when the blade is properly offered.

Thanks for the advise, I never needed chemicals to strip a blade before, though. Are busse and kin more properly treated to prevent coating wear? I will give this product a try, gives me an excuse to get some other supplies I need. Also, thanks for not berating my ugly half assed and lazy attempt! (Yet)

I don' think Busse coating are necessarily any tougher but it just makes practical sense to do something with the least effort and most potential for a better result. Sooner or later when you are removing coatings without chemical help you get down to and remove steel most probably needlessly. The strip lets you clean up what metal you HAVE to while interfering with what you don't need to as little as possible.

Once a coating has been worn down enough, I’ve had good results polishing blades in a couple minutes with a drill and a wire bit, not coarse enough to remove metal (or even significantly heating the blade)but leaving a nice polish/patina ready finish. Doesn’t even affect laser etching. I never liked using harsh paint strippers, but citristrip sounds like a less gag-inducing alternative. Not to mention disposal. With this blade, I got impatient (couldn’t remember to whom I had lent my tools)and tried sanding with a dremel (keep one charged at all times)with expected results. The blade looks worse because of poor lighting, but there aren’t even any scratches on the metal, just the coat. Anyway, not the right tool for the job-gonna pick up a quart of that stuff and see, but by then the new mmd will already be posted, and no one will be interested.

4D8386B9-AA06-4E19-8797-61C8A84DF441.jpeg Now I’ve got the coating off, I’m wondering what I’d pay to get one put back on!?
It has rusted some,(probably didn’t wash the citrustrip off completely—the rust came off in 5 seconds) not since I keep it oiled. Much heavier than it looks, batons like the beast itself!

Last edited:
Go butcher something up and get a patina cooking to help with the rust issue.
Find some road kill if you have too. :)

Back