My first traditional slipjoint, Rough Rider Canoe Armor Hide

I just got in my first traditional slipjoint today, as I am not counting SAK's. I went with a Rough Rider Canoe Armor Hide. I have to admit I am enjoying this pattern so far, and it came sharp right out of the box.

I was originally in horror when I first opened the box as I found the knife somehow escaped the factory box and was bouncing around the larger box during shipment. Than came to discover that when I opened up the two blades it sounded like I was grinding sandpaper against the metal blades, and it revealed a sticky yellow goo on the blade upon opening the knife. After opening up the blades a few times the grinding stopped and cleaning up the knife with alcohol swabs thoroughly the blades started to open very smoothly and snap in blade with a bit of authority. My only real problem in this department now is that the main blade has a good pull but the pen blade takes about 2x the strength to open and close which to be honest annoys me, and it was worse till I cleaned it up. And I wouldn't have noticed this without being on this sub-forum for awhile but there are minor gaps in the construction, but is definitely acceptable for a $13 knife.

When I tested this knife against the thickest cardboard box I could find it kind of surprised me. It cut through it relatively easily as expected but than I pulled out my more modern folder and expected the same results as it's just as sharp if not a little sharper and at first the results were the same till the knife was all the way in the box and than it was like driving a large wedge into a board with how thick the blade was in comparison to the Canoe, it just didn't matter that the blade was sharp anymore it was the design of the blade holding it back. It was no contest the Canoe was just that much better for this type of task. Where as my modern folder is a wedge, the Canoe felt like a sliver of sharpened metal that just continued to slice through cardboard without any increase in difficulty. The difference was large enough that I had to put my modern folder away as I didn't want to look at it anymore for the time being. I think this alone will probably convert me more towards traditionals more than anything.

Overall after the initial scare I had with receiving the knife I am quite honestly enjoying it after cleaning it up. One of my favorite things about this knife though after the way it performed and how it feels in my hand is the design of the handle. The armor hide design just seems to provide a pretty good grip while not feeling like sandpaper. After cleaning the knife up it looks like it's a quality little folder for the money and will probably last me several years.

On a final note, thank you everyone for helping me as I asked a few questions here about traditionals and learned quite a lot before making my first purchase. Now I just have to try to keep to your advice and try to stick to Rough Riders to try out different patterns before going a bit high end to help save money. I already see a Muskrat, Stockman, Case Sodbuster CV, and Opinel in my future :D.

(Here are some pictures of the knife along with my first knife a Victorinox Recruit. It just seems fitting as this knife slightly reminds me of it :))

Edited in:
Wow, I accidentally turned that into a bit of a knife review unintentionally, oh well.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff!..Theres nothing wrong with those RR,s in my books for the money...Great entry level stuff IMO..Beware of slipjoint addiction around here BOB !.................FES

Excellent stuff!..Theres nothing wrong with those RR,s in my books for the money...Great entry level stuff IMO..Beware of slipjoint addiction around here BOB !.................FES

I think your a little late about the warning for the slipjoint addiction, I have a feeling this Rough Rider is my gateway drug. Do we have a support group here :D?

BOB....The best support group is here ..We encourage this good behaviour!. Nothing exceeds like excess ya know?.....FES

I've got a Mini Lockback Barlow in that bone and it is some oddly appealing stuff! Deep jigging and irregular, very nice I find.

Nice write up.

I was going to comment that I liked the looks of the Armor Hide, and now that Will notes it is a bone, I guess I am going to have to give in and give RR knives a try.

My Armor Hide medium stockman is a fine little knife, great covers.
These are all Rough Riders, the Armor Hide is second from right.

MedStockMark.jpg~original

Excellent stuff!..Theres nothing wrong with those RR,s in my books for the money...Great entry level stuff IMO..

Not so sure they can be easily dismissed as entry level tools anymore. I have a Pacific region offering branded as a "Remington Sportsman" or something like that. It is a 4" stockman pattern and I have used the snot out of it so much that I like using it as a work knife. After about 5 years, it is still a tighter fit than many of the new domestic offerings I see at literally 10 and 12 times the price.

I remember thinking 5+ years ago when it was gifted to me I shuddered thinking it was a waste of money. It took a while to get to the pocket. Once I got over the fact it wasn't a CASE, I got more comfortable carrying it. Now I drop it in my pocket by choice.

Like domestic offerings, there are certainly good and bad examples of their knives, I don't know how much longer some of these Pacific rim knives can be considered second class tools.

I really like that Armor Hide jigging, BTW. It's unusual, and looks really functional.

Robert

Welcome to the disease. that is great looking bone and they really took the canoe shape to heart!
As an aside, if anyone has good sources for stag rough riders please drop me a line as I would like to try one!

Jeff, tidy bit of stag on that RR. Those Stockman are a sleek rendering of that pattern, no hi-rider Sheepfoot there!

The Armour Hide is VERY grippy stuff, try some yourself and see :D:thumbup:

Thanks, Will

Good looking knife. Don't worry, even much more expensive knives are often delivered a bit gritty, and need a good flush/cleaning to smooth them up.

The Pen blade may lighten up with use. All the knives I own certainly have gotten smoother and lighter with chronic use and opening!

I am already putting this knife to work, today it's by making an improvised band aid (just literally got done making it, paper towel and electric tape). Yesterday it gave me the said cut I had to make a band aid for, it was pretty good cut due to user error when I was trying to work the pen blade loose. Never had a knife cut that reopened a day latter till today. I must say I am impressed never had a knife cut me like that, especially when it was clamping down on me and not slicing. Oh well that teach me a lesson.

As a side note the cut happened within the first half hour of owning the knife. And right before I got around to cleaning it up lol.

...As a side note the cut happened within the first half hour of owning the knife. And right before I got around to cleaning it up lol.

Yeah, that's pretty much a tradition for me and any new knife I get. Seems like you aren't really quite acquainted until after that first kiss. Got a little nick healing up right now from my newest Case medium stockman. The sheepfoot blade joint is a little rough but once it gets past the rough spot it sure does snap shut quick!

Back