My first try at throwing.

well I found out that No-spin is harder than it looks. I kept over spinning the blade and bouncing it off the target much to the shock of my wife that was standing 30 ft behind me.
Some of the times they would come all the way back and land at my feet and I had to jump out of the way. I was only able to stick 1 out of 3 most times, and non out of 3 the rest of the time. Near the end of the 30 minute practice, I decided to give 1/2 spin a try and found that if I stayed at the same distance from the target I was able to stick 2 of 3 throws and near the end, 3 of 3. This was very encouraging and I felt better about having invested in knives and wood to make the target. Today my shoulder muscle is sore. This was to be expected especially at my tender age of 77. I’ll see if I can post a photo of the last 3 sticks of the day.
I was about 7-8 ft away from the target.

Attachments

• 9FBF12DE-2345-4063-AD7E-63F05F70061B.jpeg
    9FBF12DE-2345-4063-AD7E-63F05F70061B.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 52
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...m-not-kidding-you.871966/page-5#post-17576027
Main thing is to enjoy yourself and to keep it up . Don't overdo ! Pure no spin is hard .
Thanks, I never do anything that I don’t enjoy,, life it too short to mess with stuff you don’t enjoy.
I’ve been trying different styles of throwing to see which suits me and my physical abilities.
I’m doing this now before I get locked into something I have to unlearn.
I’m also making my own 11” knives that I like much better than the ones I have bought.
They are 11” x 1” x 1/4” steel from HD. I can make 3 knives for $10.00.
They really stick well and I can no-spin them easily. They won’t break and are easy to straighten if they bend. So far they are the way to go for me.
G

The rule of thumb is 1 foot of distance per 1 oz of weight on the throwing implement. If you are standing closer, you are in range of a bounce and should be prepared to dodge. It's a fun hobby though, keep with it and it gets more zen. Old playing cards stapled to the target are also nice for focusing in, and they are easier to discard after.

The rule of thumb is 1 foot of distance per 1 oz of weight on the throwing implement. If you are standing closer, you are in range of a bounce and should be prepared to dodge. It's a fun hobby though, keep with it and it gets more zen. Old playing cards stapled to the target are also nice for focusing in, and they are easier to discard after.
Thanks, I’ve only had to jump out of the way a few times so far.
Today I threw from 5’ and 10’ half spin, and 5,6,and 7’ no spin. I’m using the Gill H knives I bought on line for the first time today. There work well but they need power to make them stick well.
I’m also trying a method I saw on YouTube where you just move your hips to start the throw and sort of flick the rist to release the no spin. Seems to work well from short distances. Very little effort involved.
Later,
G

I just saw your post and had to share that i was having the same results recently. Then while iwas working on the matter bath of my new house I took my knives over with me and demolished one of the doors!;) standing about 4ft away.
Im finding it hard to recognize my release point when I'm more than 10 ft from my target.

Let me know how it goes for ya.

Staple some corrugated cardboard to your target, knives fall to the ground rather than return. It will also give you an imprint of the knife and how it is hitting the target, adjust accordingly.
Friends and I throw every Wednesday night, use this technique all the time, works pretty good.

Back