My Heart Broke A Little Today

Yimes

Platinum Member
I am venting here because my wife and kids just don’t get it...

I am a big Spyderco fanboy. I have owned at least 18 Spyderco knives and considered Spyderco my favorite all around brand.

I have never had a real problem with any of them until recently. My K390 Police 4 had developed what I would consider serious up and down lock rock. It is bad enough that you can hear a clicking when I rock it and there is substantial movement. My research indicates that this is an issue experienced by others. It started slight and developed into very noticeable.

The strange thing, for me at least, is that it never left the house and has only seen kitchen duty and some box cutting and a lot of opening and closing. So I decided, for the first time ever in my life to send a knife back for warranty.

This was about 9 days ago. Yesterday I received a UPS email saying I was getting a package today from Colorado. Kudos for the quick turnaround!! Though I knew what was coming I was still excited to come home to my repaired police 4 today.

When I got home after work and opened the box my heart sank. There was a form letter basically stating it did not qualify for warranty repair or replacement.

Wow. I really had a lot more faith in Spyderco based on all the great knives I have owned and all the great stories I have heard. This experience has really bummed me out.

I’m still going to buy Spyderco because I like them so much, but I am going to pay a little more attention to reviews, especially those that point out issues. Until now I just assumed if there were problems they would take care of them.

Am I wrong to be upset? I have and have owned a lot of back lock knives that never had this problem. Most of which cost a lot less than the Police 4.

What’s the point of this post? Mostly just venting to a community that understands the passion of owning a knife.

Thanks for listening.

That's too bad. I wonder if you could fix it with a thin steel shim and some jb weld?

I can completely relate to your situation.I LOVE Spyderco's designs, variety of steels, and quality. They are my favorite production folder company without question. But their warranty has always been a bit of a downer on such a great company. It took them decades just to allow end users to disassemble their knives without voiding the warranty. I've only had one experience with their warranty department and it was less than satisfying when one pays such a significant price for their products. I feel your pains: the one of addiction and then of disappointment.

I can completely relate to your situation.I LOVE Spyderco's designs, variety of steels, and quality. They are my favorite production folder company without question. But their warranty has always been a bit of a downer on such a great company. It took them decades just to allow end users to disassemble their knives without voiding the warranty. I've only had one experience with their warranty department and it was less than satisfying when one pays such a significant price for their products. I feel your pains: the one of addiction and then of disappointment.

Last I knew you still couldn't disassemble a spyderco without voiding the warranted? Has that changer?

Mike

"When I got home after work and opened the box my heart sank. There was a form letter basically stating it did not qualify for warranty repair or replacement."
When I first read this...I was just CERTAIN that the company had apologized for
the lack of a quality product and had included a NEW replacement folder in the package...

I am a Spydie fan of long standing and have owned about 20 Spydercos for any other folder
of any manufacturer.
Sal Glesser is a better man than this...
I have difficulty in understanding this post.

"
Last I knew you still couldn't disassemble a spyderco without voiding the warranted? Has that changer?

Mike

I want to say it was 3 years ago they made the change, but don't quote me on that. It needed to happen: they're not unusually complicated knives and with a little care even a novice can properly reassemble most Spyderco's.

https://www.spyderco.com/service-support/warranty-repair/

"If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect. However, if a knife has been disassembled and reassembled in such a way that, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the proper mechanical function of the knife has been compromised, it is no longer covered by warranty."

So, did you have the Police 4 for longer than a year? Any other “not covered” criteria apply?

Rather than a cryptic form letter I would expect them to state exactly why, or at minimum circle the applicable criteria.

The company does itself market injury to allow defective knives to stay in user hands. Talk about free bad publicity for the next 20 years! I love my Spyderco knives but would expect better communication and response. They could have at least told you why and offer to repair it while it was at the factory.

N NWPilgrim

This knife was purchased November 10, 2018, but in Spyderco’s defense I did not send a copy of the receipt. I guess they could have singled that out as the issue, although the letter did say “generally” within one year.

Also in their defense I don’t think for me there is a dangerous issue. It’s lock rock and with my very very limited “hard use” against vegetables and the occasional steak, I don’t see a failure from it. But it’s a bit annoying to know that my expensive knife (at least for me) has developed this issue when none of my other knives have.

I have a slight up n down on my Police 4 also. Developed over summer, bought late spring. Big fan of everything else about this knife. Only other backlock I have is Endura and have not had a similar issue with that one.

It seems that Spyderco is trying to let people know they’re not repairing knives that aren’t considered new. Im on the fence if I can blame them or not. Things wear out, get old. You buy a new one. Spyderco doesn’t know your particular situation, or anybodies. I guess i kind of understand from a business standpoint that they can’t fix everyone’s knives.

I'm actually surprised they didn't offer to repair it at least, at cost, if it wasn't covered under warranty. It sounds like you still have a knife that's not ideal and potentially should be sent right back for repair.

Sorry to hear that Yimes. I know that's super disappointing.

There seems to be a mix of stories like this. Sometimes people get new replacements when they didn't expect it, and then sometimes people seem to be left hanging. I'm with bikerector bikerector here. If that was my knife, I would hope for a solution of some kind offered, even with a cost estimate.

The flip side of warranty coverage is that it does come with a cost. In Spyderco's defense, if they covered every single thing sent in no matter what, you would see higher pricing across the board. So in that sense, I can appreciate their level of scrutiny, case by case. But if someone has taken the time to evaluate and reject a warranty claim, a minute's more time in the response would go a long way in customer satisfaction...or resolution at least.

Back locks developing play like that is pretty common. Just kind of inherent in the design (no stop pin). That's probably why it was denied warranty- it was not defective.

I'm with bikerector bikerector here. If that was my knife, I would hope for a solution of some kind offered, even with a cost estimate.

Me too. In particular since the knife is less than a year old. I am assuming that the lockbar is worn, and - as the knife is still in production - they basically have refused to the OP to replace a $10 part.

I have to say this, have had that "on my tongue" for a long time, for what it's worth:

- I _love_ my Spydercos, have many, they have unique knives, steels, etc. But part of owning and using them - for me - is that I consciously do not count on Spyderco's support. Do most of it myself, and occasionally a knife gets trashed.
- I have knives from two other US manufacturers (ZT and Hinderer), and compared to these, Spyderco's support is basically non-existent. They are slow in answering emails (> 1 week response time, sometimes no response at all), provide no spare parts, have custom screws on pretty much all knives (100 degree counter-sink scale and Pivot screws, really ?), etc. Very harsh contrast to the other two companies, where you get several email replies on the same day, parts at cost, etc. Take the Paysan lock-slip thread, for instance. Originally started by Josh, a serious knowledgeable guy, back in _May_; Spyderco's flag-ship knife but no comment so far from Spyderco on what appears a systemic issue.
- at my own work, I would never get away with treating customers like this. But it's a trade-off, obviously, customer support is expensive, and Spyderco's business appears growing. Coming out with frequent new knife releases, sprints, exclusives, etc., seems to be more lucrative. And - of course - I like new knives ... so in a way, I support Spyderco's trade-off :oops:

So there.

Roland.

Last edited:
Me too. In particular since the knife is less than a year old. I am assuming that the lockbar is worn, and - as the knife is still in production - they basically have refused to the OP to replace a $10 part.

I have to say this, have had that "on my tongue" for a long time, for what it's worth:

- I _love_ my Spydercos, have many, they have unique knives, steels, etc. But part of owning and using them - for me - is that I consciously do not count on Spyderco's support. Do most support myself, and occasionally a knife gets trashed.
- I have knives from two other US manufacturers (ZT and Hinderer), and compared to these, Spyderco's support is basically non-existent. They are slow in answering emails (> 1 week response time, sometimes no response at all), provide no spare parts, etc. Very harsh contrast to the other two companies, where you get several email replies on the same day, parts at cost, etc. Take the Paysan lock-slip thread, for instance. Originally started by Josh, a serious knowledgeable guy, back in _May_; Spyderco's flag-ship knife but no comment so far from Spyderco on what appears a systemic issue.
- at my own work, I would never get away with treating customers like this. But it's a trade-off, obviously, customer support is expensive, and Spyderco's business appears growing. Coming out with frequent new knife releases, sprints, exclusives, etc., seems to be more lucrative.

So there.

Roland.

The Police 4 is produced in Japan by a contracted mfg. Spyderco makes none of the parts for that knife. It simply isn't just throwing a $10 part in a bag. ZT and Hinderer make all of their knives (and Hinderer does their own hardware) in house so they have the production capacity to manufacture parts at their leisure. I've noticed a lot of people think Spyderco owns all the factories they produce knives in. That is not the case.

I'm not sure but I imagine Spyderco has on hand XXXX amount of parts, blades, etc. for warranty claims (although most of the time they just send you a new knife or credit you, so perhaps they DON'T stock parts for knives not produced in their own Golden, CO facility), so when a knife comes in for something like lock rock on a back lock, well they aren't going to burn any parts on a knife that isn't defective, it's just been used. Send in a Police 4 where the lock bar actually broke, well then you get your warranty claim.

Spyderco has tons of models in so many different steels, handle materials, blade configurations. It's what makes Spyderco the company they are. If people want Spyderco to be run like ZT, well then get ready for only 8 Spyderco models at any given time. It is just unrealistic for a company like Spyderco to stock parts for every knife they produce and replace all warranty claims that come into the shop. Keep in mind a company like ZT belongs to KAI, a massive global conglomerate with much bigger resources from which to operate on and different margins they can target. If there truly is a problem with the knife Spyderco is happy to send you a new one. If it's a nit pick, well you'll have to live with it. It is the nature of the beast.

Spyderco has tons of models in so many different steels, handle materials, blade configurations. It's what makes Spyderco the company they are. ... you'll have to live with it. It is the nature of the beast.

Pretty much what I said, no ? And I do live with it. And the OP should too, trash the knife and buy a new one. Because that's what Spyderco's business model implies. I just wish we/Spyderco would be honest about it.

Pretty much what I said, no ? I just wish we/Spyderco would be honest about it.
You mentioned sprints and new knives, but seemed to link that to some sense of trying to make more money in a lucrative market. You also never highlighted the connection of tons of models ---> inability to warranty everything. Was just trying to shed some light on the "why". Sorry if it came off some type of way.

You mentioned sprints and new knives, but seemed to link that to some sense of trying to make more money in a lucrative market.

Didn't mean to imply that, and also note that this wouldn't be bad thing for me, that's how our economy works.... I feel Spyderco is run well, products are priced fairly, the knives I own (> 100) are clearly worth the money that I paid, in terms of material and quality (i.e., margin is not unreasonable), etc.

Sorry to hear about that. The police still has the old backlock design like the enduras, very shallow lock bar depth when the lock slides into the tang of the blade. The newer backlocks like the natives, Manix backlock and Native Chief all have the newer design, much better lock bar and tang engagement geometry. I wish they carried this new improvement over to the enduras and police models, much less prone to play developing and much more secure.

Back