My Inkosi arrived flawed what do you recommend ?

Try another CRK or move on?

• Try Sebenza 31

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Try Umnumzaan

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Move on from CRK

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
My Inkosi arrived uncentered and with lock play and I feel uncomfortable with it knowing I spent $600 on the Inlay model. I don’t know what to do, return it and try again and risk disappointment or be done all together with CRK?

I called their support phone number and the guy told me that the lock play is normal due to the ball insert, and that the uncentering could be due to unevenly sanded washers, and that they do everything by hand so sometimes these things happen.

I sent the knife to my friend (an incredible custom knife maker) to review and he told me to return it immediately. I’m going to link the video he sent me describing the lock play.

I really like the knife in hand but it’s hard to ignore these issues on a knife this expensive when none of my cheaper knives have them. I want to try a Sebenza 31 but I heard they have the same issue with lock play.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Below is a video of the lock play and a picture of the uncentered blade.
Link: https://imgur.com/a/8OfOh5u

Did CRK offer to help if you send the knife in? I could understand that human error can creep into their quality control system, but my experience has always been positive when asking for them to inspect a knife for potential manufacturing errors, especially regarding the lockup. They've been successfully producing the ceramic-ball lock tab interface now since the Umnumzaan came out in 2008, so they should be able to work this out pretty quickly I would think.

I issue this advice whenever this type of question comes up. Always return the knife for a refund or an exchange if you're unhappy with it. Don't send it in to the manufacturer, as this gives them an opportunity to not fix it to your liking. Remember, it left CRK's shop this way; what makes you think they're 100% likely going to fix it given a second chance? Generally, part of what you paid a seller for is the right to be able to return it in instances like this, so exercise that right. You'll be able to get another one, assuming you want one.

Contact CRK
Return the knife
Disassemble the knife and tune it

here are the 3 options (in that order) that I would recommend

My Inkosi arrived uncentered and with lock play and I feel uncomfortable with it knowing I spent $600 on the Inlay model. I don’t know what to do, return it and try again and risk disappointment or be done all together with CRK?

I called their support phone number and the guy told me that the lock play is normal due to the ball insert, and that the uncentering could be due to unevenly sanded washers, and that they do everything by hand so sometimes these things happen.

I sent the knife to my friend (an incredible custom knife maker) to review and he told me to return it immediately. I’m going to link the video he sent me describing the lock play.

I really like the knife in hand but it’s hard to ignore these issues on a knife this expensive when none of my cheaper knives have them. I want to try a Sebenza 31 but I heard they have the same issue with lock play.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Below is a video of the lock play and a picture of the uncentered blade.
Link: https://imgur.com/a/8OfOh5u
I would definitely return it. You can get a decent knife for $50 and you bought one for $600. It should be perfect.

You should weigh all your options. If you have $450 to $600 to spend.

Option A
Zero Tolerance 562cf
Zero Tolerance 0452cf

Option B
Shaman
Manix 2 G10
PM2

Option C
1 Sebenza

These three options are roughly the same price. You would be hard pressed to say the Option A and B knives are anything other than great. Is one Sebenza really worth two or three great Zero Tolerance/Spyderco knives? I am not convinced its worth it. However, I really love that Chris Reeve provides the tools and encourages you to take care of your knives.

What some refer to as lock play is more like lock bar flex. Its the frame of the knife literally flexing when you put pressure on the spine of the blade.

I'm not sure about the knife being off center. I know the Inkosi can be adjusted tighter or looser that can affect the centering if it has too much slop. I have a large Inkosi that is my only CRK. I have found that hand right with a 1/4 crank more is perfect for mine. Its 100% centered and has no side to side with only a bit of lock flex if I really push down.

I'd be surprised if they don't fix it to your liking. Incredible tolerances is sort of their thing. I will say that I personally don't find ZT to be on the same level as CRK. Very, very good quality and fine off the shelf knives. I've had way more lock issues with them, though. Of course, my CRK sample size is 1 to about 9 of the ZTs. I think that the only way I felt comfortable spending CRK money was being able to handle the Inkosi in Sparks shop. That's what got me hooked on the knife and I see a large 31 later in the year.

OP - did you check all screws are tightened?

I bought a large inkosi with micarta inlay a couple of months ago from a dealer. When it arrived it also had a slightly off centered blade. It turned out the pivot screw was not tightened (I don't remember whether it had side-to-side blade play). After I tightened the pivot the issue was gone. The body screw near the butt of the handle became loose after my opening and closing the knife some times, so I also had to tighten it.

OP - did you check all screws are tightened?

I bought a large inkosi with micarta inlay a couple of months ago from a dealer. When it arrived it also had a slightly off centered blade. It turned out the pivot screw was not tightened (I don't remember whether it had side-to-side blade play). After I tightened the pivot the issue was gone. The body screw near the butt of the handle became loose after my opening and closing the knife some times, so I also had to tighten it.
I’ll look into it. A couple of people have told me to check the pivot and to take it apart and clean it. It’s brand new but I’ll check it out as soon as I can and post an update.

Thought I'd add an anecdote here explaining my position here:
I've never used CRK's warranty service, but I have used Benchmade's, ZT's, Microtech's, Guardian Tactical's, and Cold Steel's on a number of occasions. This was for issues like lock slip, vertical play, botched blade grinds, or other problems I could not fix adequately on my own. In only one singular instance was a knife returned in a manner that was fully satisfactory. Also, I was without the knives for quite a long time, and it cost me a fair bit to ship the knives around for the repairs.

I don't think it's because the warranty workers were being lazy. I think sometimes companies make knives that are on the border of acceptable, and their warranty group may not see that as a problem.

I'm not freaked out if a button lock or an OTF has a bit of up and down play, but it's a deal breaker for me on a frame lock or liner lock. The knives with locks that failed I've owned have all been frame or liner locks that exhibited up and down play (often with a visible move of the lock bar and even a clicking sound). I'd return it and buy something else (possibly a Sebenza 21--I've handled lots of them and never seen one with lock rock).

Last edited:
This is nearly always my answer to this question (of any brand) contact the dealer you purchased it from and explain why you are wanting to exchange it and then return the knife to the dealer for an exchange. Especially if you like the knife but found issues. I have several CRKs and an Inkosi among them and mine had no issues at all as none of my other CRKs have. But it can happen to any brand on occasion.

I do agree also do not send it to CRK if it's new knife bought from a reputable dealer return it for an exchange and tell the dealer what you would like them to check on an exchange before shipping it to you. If it's a trusted dealer most are more than happy to hand pick and check a knife for and issues you may h ave concerns about. I have not purchased any CRKs in a couple years but I think they are quality knives and if you like it it's worth getting an exchange.

I personally prefer the 21 over the Inkosi ... I have not handled a 31 so i can't give an opinion there.

Did you buy it from CRK or a dealer? I’d return it either way, but you may have better luck not getting a lemon from a different source.

Thought I'd add an anecdote here explaining my position here:
I've never used CRK's warranty service, but I have used Benchmade's, ZT's, Microtech's, Guardian Tactical's, and Cold Steel's on a number of occasions. This was for issues like lock slip, vertical play, botched blade grinds, or other problems I could not fix adequately on my own. In only one singular instance was a knife returned in a manner that was fully satisfactory. Also, I was without the knives for quite a long time, and it cost me a fair bit to ship the knives around for the repairs.

I don't think it's because the warranty workers were being lazy. I think sometimes companies make knives that are on the border of acceptable, and their warranty group may not see that as a problem.

Yeah, returning it to the dealer is always the safest bet. :thumbsup:

Meant to add: OP I hope you're wearing your fireproof undies; anyone who finds a flaw in one of CREWK's knives tends to become a target of the koolaid drinking CREWK cultists. They can grab their torches and pitchforks and come after you but that still doesn't change the fact that a ~$600 frame lock shouldn't have up and down play . . .

I’ll look into it. A couple of people have told me to check the pivot and to take it apart and clean it. It’s brand new but I’ll check it out as soon as I can and post an update.

I guess I missed the part of your post/video stating it is up and down blade play. Regardless of the brand, up and down blade play is basically impossible to be fixed by average users; even the manufacturer may or may not fix it. I would definitely return the knife to the dealer for an exchange or refund. It does not make sense to send a new knife to the manufacturer for warranty work.

Back