My journey begins. Step 1 - Rust Removal.

Kevin's dealt with the numerically challenged in the past as well (me it that case lol):

I do make them, its called: Folding a piece of paper:

Fold a triangle : 45 degrees
Fold that triangle again: 22,5
Fold it open again and fold a flap to the line you just created: 33,75

So long as you can divide you can get almost every angle in a hurry:
Divide the triangle by 2 and you get the degrees of the folded over triangle.
Divide that by 2 and you get the degrees of the double folded over triangle.
Ad those to and you get 3/4 of that angle Its the same as folding a triangle over, folding it back out again and folding it to that line.

Can get hard if your numerically challenged though ;)

You can use a grinder, but thats not neccesairy. I use one though (belt grinder). If using a file: First grind the edge in the required shape going top to bottom straight on the edge. Its blunt as a spoon by then. If the shape is good, just do it your regular way. That will probably be the quickest way.

Since I'm to lazy to upload anything:
1: 90 degrees
2: 45 degrees
3: still 45 degrees
4: 22,5 degrees

As long as you have a piece of paper with you you can always check the angle.
You can even fold the top half of nr 2 untill the middel and get 33,75 degrees (roughly a splitter)
22,5 is where most of my axes are at.
organizing%2Bwith%2Borigami%2Bbrown.jpg

22,5 degrees

organizing%2Bwith%2Borigami%2Bbrown.jpg

Had a great time out in the sun today working on the 3 axes. Tonnes of fun!

I absolutely love this Nicholson file, it removes metal like nobodies business!!

YnBzocw.jpg

Really happy with how the Brades came out:

BVjY41D.jpg

And the Kelly, I have only had this axe for 1 week; very happy to have the rust gone and now I can keep it oily for the rest of her days.

RlLHUmk.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys I really appreciate it. I am still getting use to filing angles to end up with one gradual even smooth bevel as you can see on the Kelly. Will take a stone to them tomorrow and perhaps try and even that cutting edge out with the file too. Receiving my first Plumb axe in the post tomorrow too; a 3.5 pounder. Look forward to seeing what the condition is and giving it a quick birthday. Iv'e noticed most second hand axes in NZ are not coming from collectors or even users really, the wood is always dry dry dry in need of some oil and the head too and a good sharpen.

Will post pictures of it tomorrow.

Good axe karma :thumbsup:
Absolutely! Such a good feeling!

Can I ask about file maintenance? I notice files get rusty very quick, especially if not seeing lots of use. Is this a tool that needs to be oiled to prevent that? If so how does a lubed file cut? I'm thinking it would take away from the effect by sliding over the steel more than cutting the steel.

Furthermore, my old man has a bunch of great looking old USA files that he doesn't use. They look and feel sharp and in good condition except they rusty all over and in every teeth groove. Does anyone have a method to take care of this? I have ditched the whole vinegar thing since I did a couple of heads and was not to fond of the greyish color the steel comes out afterwards, and having a go on the wire cup brush this is much better. However would a soak in vinegar and take a brush to the files be the way to go in this instance? Thank you :)

Last edited:
For what it's worth. I'm no expert. But I've never heard anyone oil their files. They would certainly skate afterwards. Cleaning them up before use may not be trivial. (While I've heard that WD-40 can be easily cleaned-up with acteone, I've never tried it. Maybe try it with a cheap and/or derelict file?)

"If you use 'em, they won't rust." said some machinists on a forum I read long ago. Fair enough.

How about keeping them in a bag (individual bags, we don't want any unnecessary dulling due to them rubbing against each ther) along with silica gel?

While I do understand why you don't like the look of an ax head pulled out of vinegar...I wouldn't care when it comes to files. An old file dunked in vinegar may actually become sharper, although I'm sure companies offering "chemical sharpening" do a better job at that.

I put a light oil (kerosene, etc) on my files. Actually, 99% of the time they aren't rusty at all when I get them from thrift stores. When I de-rust them I'll wipe them with a rag just barely damp from mineral oil after I oil an axe haft and not use it for a day or so. You want just enough oil to repel rust but not enough to trap filings.

Thanks for that guys. I will vinegar my fathers files (can't bring myself to forking out the big bucks on the professional rust remover chemicals) and keep them rust free with good ol fashioned use. For my normal users I put a fine steel wool on the tang and tip and will just keep em like that for now and see how they go with being used often.

So here is my newest axe.

3.5lb Plumb on a 32" handle. The previous owner reckons it is the original handle. I sure do like the shape. Some pitting but other than that in an overall good condition I think. This was the first axe i have received that you can tell the previous owner actually looked after it, was even oiled unlike the dry bones Iv'e gotten so far.

My first impression was that I thought it looked quite chunky, quite square..is this just the pattern shape of these Plumbs? I think it still has a lot of temper in it but must have been pulled back at least a little over the years? It measures 170mm from middle of bit to the middle of the pole. Iv'e literally never seen another one in person so not sure but boy oh boy does my Kelly Perfect look different next to it, so long and narrow! I love them both.

Here it is when I got it out of the box..

40HpfKf.jpg

I don't have any polished axes so thought I would have a go at making it shiny and see if I like it.

B14W6Gm.jpg

plus some metal polish and..

yoQaDXh.jpg

WojmK2B.jpg

Well I can say although I think it looks really cool I do think axes look better with a patina. Interestingly the patina in this case also makes the USA part of the makers mark pop way harder; although in person it is a little more clearer than what the photo offers.

I am very happy that it is at 0% patina right now as I plan on keeping, using and maintaining it for the remainder of its life. I look forward to watching it darken over the years and perhaps in a more even way than the previous owner had it. How cool would it be to take a picture of it in 20 years and put it next to these photos to see how it has changed.

Does anybody know the era or a rough year for this axe? I see some have squared off borders around the Plumb logo and mine is rounded which might help with pin pointing it to a ball park figure. If it helps there are no other markings what so ever elsewhere on the axe, just what you see here.

Well, I had the surprise that sometimes the head will clean up waaaay faster under a wheel than previously thought and I've ended up with a shiny one in no time. I don't mind it, to be honest; was just surprised.

Go ahead and vinegar soak your files. Then rinse then very well under running water for at 5 minutes or so. Then dry them and heat them moderately to drive the water out. Don't oil them. They won't cut well.

Old socks make great holders for files. Protect them from each other.

Go ahead and vinegar soak your files. Then rinse then very well under running water for at 5 minutes or so. Then dry them and heat them moderately to drive the water out. Don't oil them. They won't cut well.

Old socks make great holders for files. Protect them from each other.

S Square_peg , I never thought of socks.Very nice!

You are giving me ideas to make something with all the fire hose I have here. Maybe a series of small vertical pouches.
They could be hung or even staggered two/three deep. Rolled up for temporary storage. You could make a few out of whatever medium you have or have the skills to work and rotate them per need. I've seem some great wood set-ups as well but not for a large array. Cheap leather maybe?
F170-EC51-FD92-4-C6-D-8-A2-E-34-F7-ADB32688.jpg

K KiwiBloke , it irks me that the shipping of these for you guys in New Zealand are so near extortion.
Two are spoken for as gifts but one can fly south if you want. They weigh 7/8 ounce. With envelope I don't think they exceed the limit for minimal letter shipping (USD).

Triplets
by Agent Hierarchy

Nice axes by the way!

Thanks for that guys. I will vinegar my fathers files (can't bring myself to forking out the big bucks on the professional rust remover chemicals) and keep them rust free with good ol fashioned use. For my normal users I put a fine steel wool on the tang and tip and will just keep em like that for now and see how they go with being used often.

I’ve never used vinegar so I can’t say whether that works or if there is further cleaning/neutralization involved. I have been tempted to send a batch off to be cleaned professionally after some input here.

When I find/acquire files with little rust, I use a fine hand wire brush on them and then use them, cleaning with a filecard. Frequency is dictated by what you are filing.

When they need more, I liberally spray them with WD-40 and let sit for 10 minutes, scrub, and pat dry. Repeat as necessary (as they have already been lubricated at this point). I do this until it looks clear patted on a paper towel. Then again with the same type of brush, latex gloves and hot running water. 4-6 times through with towel pat dry. No one wants their files wet but some of the nasty ones actually turn out to be real steel-eaters after you clean them hard.

If you have chunks of the previous user’s medium (Horse hoof, aluminum, glass, etc.) in-between that won’t break free, I use a softer pick or a sheet of brass on its side to work it out. As long as you are careful to not damage the edges then it’s fair game - up to making sure they are dry afterwards.

New files are new files, used files are… what you make from them trying to make them new.

I've used vinegar and if you forget about them for a week or so they'll sharpen right up. My favorite file is a Simonds I got from a thrift store for 50 cents. 2nd best is an old 14" Clean Cut half round file I got with some other tools laying in a neighbor's yard. It eats steel like no-one's business. If I were to get one cleaned and sharpened it would be that one.

S Square_peg , I never thought of socks.Very nice!

You are giving me ideas to make something with all the fire hose I have here. Maybe a series of small vertical pouches.
They could be hung or even staggered two/three deep. Rolled up for temporary storage. You could make a few out of whatever medium you have or have the skills to work and rotate them per need. I've seem some great wood set-ups as well but not for a large array. Cheap leather maybe?
F170-EC51-FD92-4-C6-D-8-A2-E-34-F7-ADB32688.jpg

K KiwiBloke , it irks me that the shipping of these for you guys in New Zealand are so near extortion.
Two are spoken for as gifts but one can fly south if you want. They weigh 7/8 ounce. With envelope I don't think they exceed the limit for minimal letter shipping (USD).

Triplets
by Agent Hierarchy

Nice axes by the way!

Using the hoses are a fantastic idea, super protection!

Mate I can't tell you how appreciative I would be if you did that for me. Warms my heart that you would even consider it.

I'm trying to find out how much a letter from US to NZ would be but google isn't helping, it's as if the search results are tailored for my location I'm just getting NZ to US prices which is $3NZD.

If there is a way for me to send you the money I would be very very happy to receive one of these. I don't know how the best method would be, something like paypal? I am not actually sure if that is an option I have never used it.

Last edited:
Back