My knife was confiscated at the "Happiest Place On Earth"

I was a Walt Disney World cast member (what they call employees, since when you're at work you're "on stage") for three years back in the mid-seventies. No searches, no wanding, no metal detectors. It was truly the "happiest place on earth" back then.

I wouldn't give them a dime of my money now.

Last time I went to Disneyland (in Anaheim) was in 1980. I've never been back. Even back then, the long lines kinda drove me crazy. I could only imagine what they're like now. Not to mention the prices. And because I'm not a kid anymore, it doesn't have the appeal to me that it once did. Also, since I have no kids (and by extension, no grandkids), I don't foresee ever going back.

I don't remember if I carried a knife there that last time. Probably not; I'd gotten out of knives for a few years around that time.

Jim

I'm an Orlando local and an annual passholder, and can confirm that they are now using metal detectors at Disney World. Not spot checking, but actively waving the entire line through the scan. I was prewarned by another knife bud, so I knew not to have a knife with me when we went. I personally love Disney and don't understand some of the commentary* in this thread, because hey, private property so their rules stand. I've also met enough Disney police (who ARE armed) that I'm not terribly worried. In any case, a gun or knife wouldn't save me from an explosive attack (like what happened in Paris) so (shrug) is what it is.

*Yeah, I'm super skeptical of that whole "Security asked for my fingerprints" story. I know a lot of people who work for Disney in multiple areas, to include Corporate. My friend said, and I quote: "What? The only time fingerprints are asked for is if we're doing an intensive background check as part of a employment process." Maybe Sodak left out that he was applying for a job. :confused:

Muphasta brings up something interesting (post #67)

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney parks and other such places have surveillance cameras watching everything, including the parking lot. I can imagine a bunch of security guards sitting in a room watching a wall of tv screens and zooming in on anything they find suspicious. Between crime, liability issues, and terrorism, it certainly makes sense that a big-name, multi-billion dollar company would invest in such security measures. So if you step out of line and go over to a bush/planter/etc to stash a knife, there might be a security guard watching you on camera.

It also wouldn't surprise me if security guards are taught to look suspiciously on people who get into line, then step out of line and walk over somewhere else, then step back into line. Such activity sounds like a person trying to hide something that they don't want security to find (weapon, drugs).

And it also wouldn't surprise me if a security guard were instructed to investigate and check that bush/planter/etc to see what was stashed there.

Something to consider before you think of just stashing your knife in a random place.

I was chatting with a bud who works for the Mouse and they confirmed this. It is active surveillance. One use for it, is as a means of customer service. If anyone here besides me ever goes to Disney again, try this: stand out in the open, looking around confused while holding a park map. One or more cast members will approach you almost immediately, even though you may not have seen anyone directly around you.

As for your other thoughts, you're right about those also. :thumbup:

*Yeah, I'm super skeptical of that whole "Security asked for my fingerprints" story. I know a lot of people who work for Disney in multiple areas, to include Corporate. My friend said, and I quote: "What? The only time fingerprints are asked for is if we're doing an intensive background check as part of a employment process." Maybe Sodak left out that he was applying for a job. :confused:

I was there in October 2013 and they had fingerprint scanners for the patrons at every entrance point.
And the damn things knew when I presented the wrong finger, which means my print was on file.

Did they take those away since then?

I was there in October 2013 and they had fingerprint scanners for the patrons at every entrance point.
And the damn things knew when I presented the wrong finger, which means my print was on file.

Did they take those away since then?

Those are indeed fingerprint scanners, and they are still in place. It's one finger, which is tied to your passholder account (or to a ticket). It's often used in conjunction with a "magic" band, supplying two factor authentication. That's quite different than "I was asked for fingerprints" stated as though they were asking for a full ten-finger spread. They don't do that.

^ wow. As if ANY fingerprinting done to get into an amusement park should be acceptable, one finger or 10. They can keep that "magic" band and their fingerprinting machines. I don't care if the price was free they won't catch me there.

^ wow. As if ANY fingerprinting done to get into an amusement park should be acceptable, one finger or 10. They can keep that "magic" band and their fingerprinting machines. I don't care if the price was free they won't catch me there.

Which is fine, that's your right. I always find it interesting the stands that people will take, when so much of their info is already readily available elsewhere. Yeah man, Disney's secretly the Illuminati who'll use your fingerprint to read your mind. I'm just razzing you, everyone's different. Fact is, more companies and entities (both state and local) than you could imagine have all of the PII on you possible, and I mean that in a literal sense. Disney having my fingerprint bothers me not at all, especially since I've got some awareness of their...well, I'm just informed, and I'll leave it at that on an open forum.

Last edited:

Oh really? They made everyone in line give them a finger print. Except for me and my family, and we still got in. If you claim to "love" Disney, you don't know it very well, that's for sure.

Those are indeed fingerprint scanners, and they are still in place. It's one finger, which is tied to your passholder account (or to a ticket). It's often used in conjunction with a "magic" band, supplying two factor authentication. That's quite different than "I was asked for fingerprints" stated as though they were asking for a full ten-finger spread. They don't do that.
So you do know about this. Now you change your story?

So you do know about this. Now you change your story?

Not at all, you said:

That's exactly the way I feel also. I went there years ago with my kids (they hated it, one and done), the security guards tried to take our fingerprints, and I refused. Had I known they were going to do that, I would not have gone. I found out that if you hold up the line long enough by refusing, they eventually capitulate. :D

You made it sound like you were stopped by the Gestapo and they were trying to take all of your fingerprints, instead of just one to tie to your account (and the ticket of each member of your family), which is a viable method of two-factor authentication. So, you don't like it, that's fine. Your tone was honestly laughable, because I can guarantee that you've given personal information without a thought to plenty of other businesses, which if misused would allow the misuser to do a lot worse, but OH NOEZ DISNEY ASKED FOR A FINGERPRINT, WHOOP WHOOP ILLUMINATI ALERT! LOL

It'd be like me coming in here and telling people "Don't go to a gunshop! They wanted my social security number, OMG!" That would be reactionary nonsense, rather like your post. :)

Have a good day, man.

Oh really? They made everyone in line give them a finger print. Except for me and my family, and we still got in. If you claim to "love" Disney, you don't know it very well, that's for sure.

By the way, Disney probably does have exceptions for people who make a big deal over nothing, so it doesn't surprise me that you got in. Well done.

Last edited:
Anyway, speaking of Orlando, Florida (I love living here), it's a gorgeous day out, so I'm headed out for the day. Have a good one, folks. :thumbup:

You made it sound like you were stopped by the Gestapo and they were trying to take all of your fingerprints, instead of just one to tie to your account (and the ticket of each member of your family), which is a viable method of two-factor authentication.
They wanted a fingerprint of everyone in my family, including my 5 year old kids. That was never agreed to by me before we purchased tickets, nor would I have gone had I known that is what they wanted. They didn't get anyone's fingerprints.

My goal in all of this was to let the formumites know that they try to get your fingerprints, and you can refuse and still get in. As for me and my family, it was a one and done. Very overpriced, long lines, mediocre rides. YMMV.

So, you don't like it, that's fine. Your tone was honestly laughable, because I can guarantee that you've given personal information without a thought to plenty of other businesses, which if misused would allow the misuser to do a lot worse, but OH NOEZ DISNEY ASKED FOR A FINGERPRINT, WHOOP WHOOP ILLUMINATI ALERT! LOL
I can guarantee you that you are wrong. I'm very security conscious and do not give out any personal information to organizations that I don't trust. You don't know a thing about me, so your assumptions are false.

I have no idea what you mean by illuminati. At this point, I'm not sure that I care either.

I used to work for Walt Disney Imagineering, that's the division that designs, builds and oversees all of the various Disney parks. Would you mind sharing what park you were at and approximately when this occurred?

stash it some where. i went to hover dam with a native in my pocket. i saw the metal detectors and instead of going all the way back to the car i dropped it off in a planter and picked it up after.

I know ut blows they did that to me.. I couldnt have my leatherman sidekick without a knife or saw because the broke (stupid stuff), and the tsa friendly style ps. They said they were weapons. Then the guy at the metal detector tried saying my ferro rod was a weapon, while he tried to hold back my silver dollar since i said ill just go back to the hotel and sleep then give them my stuff..

I used to work for Walt Disney Imagineering, that's the division that designs, builds and oversees all of the various Disney parks. Would you mind sharing what park you were at and approximately when this occurred?
It was in Orlando, and I'm thinking about 2004 - 2008, IIRC. I'm trying to remember how old my kids were, and it would have been around there.

Yeah, everyone can rest easy
Now that
The tactical mice and ninja ducks are on security detail.
And sorry bud, that's no exceptions for "jedi knights"
with those hollowed out "light sabres" with weponized potential too.

Back