My Last Year As A Full Time Leather Worker

leatherman

leathermoderator
Yea, its time. My passion for art is starting to get into my system in a way that I cant ignore anymore. Plus the politics and business of being self employed is starting to wear pretty thin.

Starting in the fall I will be teaching art part time and still doing leather for the remainder. I'm going to be participating in the sheath forum less as well (apparently my increased participation there has raised some hackles among our more competitive members) I dont need or want the constant abrasion on my health and well being. I only want to help, not compete with other makers, but that isn't the case I guess.

I'll always be here on my little corner of the world, membership is up in November but I fully intend to get the funds together for another three years so I keep this space. :D I will always be around in the sheath forum but not to the extent that I have been, only as a Mod from now on, its for the better, and y'all know I'm always on Busse and Swamp Rat's forums as well, THat is my other fixation. :p

Thanks to everyone for their support and I fully intend for my craft to continue to get better and better and will not slow because of my new path. I need art, I live and breathe art, its a huge part of who I am and I fully intend to get back to where I was when I left college. Lots of drawing, painting, and sculpture in my future, and I hope a more peaceful life.

You will be in my payers!!! With people tightening up there wallets and penny pinching, certain luxuries are the first to go!!! In the same breath, don't ever give up on your dream, EVER!!! I agree with you to downsize, but keep up what you're doing and attack new styles, leather patterns, etc and maybe zero in on a new, upcoming knife maker and/or company that's starting out and offer them your expertise with one-of-a-kind sheaths! I don't know if you've done that, it's just a thought and I can't stand hearing of you slowly giving up!!! Best of luck and just know you can do all things through Christ! Just have faith and never lose your ambition!!!

I will always be working leather in one form or the other, been doing so since 1996 as a serious craftsman. But the whole combination of running a business, moderating at a bunch of forums, and trying to clear myself to do art is simply wearing on me in a big way. When you moderate, and run a business, guess where the trolls who feel wronged attack, yea, the business. I've weathered it all and came out on top, but at a cost of a lot of my health. Since 2008 its eaten me up, especially hit home when I looked at a photo of me in 2007 and now, you'd swear I'd aged over twenty years. That pissed me off to no end and I know who to blame and luckily its a small group. :D I can deal with that, and have. None of them have any more influence than a fly.

As long you keep the rats wrapped up in some nice cow the world we will good. I wish you the best in all you do buddy, and I wouldn't worry to much about what other makers "think" Dwayne you are damn good at what you do.

Thank you my friend. :) I fully expect to keep bending the leather, just after the summer it will not be at the rate that I am right now.

This lessening of our total reliance on my business makes me less of a target for those "people" who threaten my livelihood in retaliation to a perceived slight. The scary part is its a viable threat, I'm watching one happen to an associate right now at another forum.

Best wishes to you, Dwayne. By the way, if you ever get tired of that TGLB I sent you, let me know! I went to order another one to replace it and Busse doesn't offer competition finish anymore. Drats.

Dwayne - great to see you are going to do what YOU want. I can only wish you the best of luck and hope that things go well for you.
I know I will see you on the Forums. :)

Gotta pull my finger out and get my order in ! ;)

Dwayne,

I'm sorry to hear that, your one of the most stand up sheath makers I know. The forums used to stress me out as well to a point where it was getting unhealthy. Last year around summer I said enough and would come back in the fall, didn't make it back until late winter and limit myself to either providing helping info in the sheath forum or unless someone has a post directly related to one of my sheaths that requires answering.
The constant worrying if some idiot is going to try and tank your business out of spite, jealousy or just some random moron and today is your bad day is not worth the hassle. I now have a standard way of dealing with the inevitable idiot that floats my way. I can't imagine being a Mod on top of everything else, I don't have the temperament for that stuff. I'm more of the bash everyone over the head with a club then figure it out later person.

I went through all of my records to assess how much business actually comes from the forums, less than one percent. Utterly not worth dealing with the stress, so I no longer do. Someone wants to complain, go right ahead.

My advice is take some time away, clear your head and it will put things into a different perspective for you, there isn't any business worth more than your health.

Best of luck to you,

Sky

Good to hear your still going to make sheaths. One day Ill make a knife worthy enough for one of your sheaths. Good luck in your teaching endeavor, looking back now I should have taken more art classes in high school.

Thanks everyone! :) I do appreciate the kind words, much more than anyone will know.

Sky, yep its amazing how the world changes when you get the "moderator" moniker. I've been one in some form or fashion for quite some time. Its an exercise in patience, and well, the ability to know how to lower the hammer on someone without being a butthead about it. :p It does fit my nature to a point, that is untill I meet the inevitable entitled little ####. Then its a pain in the butt. Funny about the business thing, mine is driven by the forums. We actually notice a rise in traffic when I post more in certain forums.

I've been working on the curriculum for my classes and Holy Crap! My unorthodox teaching methods make it to where I cant find much at all in the way of formed guides. But I had good teachers through the years, and better ones in my graduate years, and amazingly some even better ones recently. Its all good. :) My college prep advanced studies is the one giving me the most trouble, its going to be mostly student driven.

Good to hear your still going to make sheaths. One day Ill make a knife worthy enough for one of your sheaths. Good luck in your teaching endeavor, looking back now I should have taken more art classes in high school.
My little school didnt have much of an art program unfortunately, most of my higher learning was in college where I had to pay for it, and still am. :eek:

From what I have seen of your work my friend, your way up there, I've seen quite a few of your knives that I would love to have. :)

Oh! That reminds me, I still have that Garrison Brothers bumper sticker and coozie to send to you. Their bourbon is unbelievable!

Best wishes to you, Dwayne. By the way, if you ever get tired of that TGLB I sent you, let me know! I went to order another one to replace it and Busse doesn't offer competition finish anymore. Drats.
When I get done making those Walking Dead sheaths (they're still huge!) and all the dust has settled (I wont use it) You will be the first called my friend, no doubt. For the same value no matter what they've gone up to. :)

I hope everything works out great for you. I'm new at sheath making and posted over at the sheath forum for critique on a sheath. You replied with advice and I thought that was a nice thing for you to do, to help a new person out. Thank you,
John S.

You are always welcome to come hunt my place for hogs for free. I have followed your work and picked up a few used blades with your sheath and I was very impressed. Let me know if you ever want to pull the string or trigger on a hunt. It is about the only way I can relax anymore.

I hope everything works out great for you. I'm new at sheath making and posted over at the sheath forum for critique on a sheath. You replied with advice and I thought that was a nice thing for you to do, to help a new person out. Thank you,
John S.
Many thanks! I think it will be interesting to do both leather work, teach art, and actually do some art again. So far what I've been able to do so far has been very good for the soul.
You are always welcome to come hunt my place for hogs for free. I have followed your work and picked up a few used blades with your sheath and I was very impressed. Let me know if you ever want to pull the string or trigger on a hunt. It is about the only way I can relax anymore.
oooh! yes! "have 30-30 will travel!" The wife makes some of the best sausage with hog and deer that I have ever had. We're due for a grind n stuff with some of this years takes. :) Now, the problem is finding the time.....

Reading is Fundamental.

Evidently someone is spreading a rumor that I am out of business, like NOW! Good friggin Grief!!! NO!

For ONE day a week I will be teaching ART, for the other SIX I will be making sheaths, maybe 5, who knows, I do want to do more serious art. BUT sheath making is my life, bar none.

Lets read and understand, I am and will be here as long as I possibly can and whoever is spreading a lie, well, I will find out.

I was going to lock this and move it away, but no, its allowing that person to win. It stays. :D

Last edited:
Back