My latest Chef's knife!!

I'm surprised this subject isn't talked about more often to be honest. Maybe it is and I'm just not aware.

It's a buyers market when it comes to custom knives for sure. When the vast majority of knifemakers out there today are part time, or just do it as a hobby, they can get away with selling them well below their (monetary) value. Everyone and their brother is making knives it seems. I blame Forged in Fire, haha. And I get that for many the satisfaction alone is enough.

I mean it's a good thing that the industry is getting more recognition, but at the same time it's much more competitive. When you're competing as a full timer trying to make a living on knives against guys that outnumber you, who sell for a fraction of the cost, I can see how frustrating it can be for those full timers who're taking the hit. I didn't fully realize this until I went from being a hobbiest to a full time maker, haha. And I completely understand that it's ultimately choice. I'm not trying to play the victim here at all. Just my observations.

I've worked in industries where you have lowballers come in, and it essentially creates a race to the bottom type scenario. Only benefiting those that are buying. But I can see the benefits to this as well. I'd like to believe that competition raises the bar in regards to overall standards. Unfortunately this isn't always the case from what I can tell. And I'm not suggesting that there's this cutthroat competition going on. It seems to be quite the opposite for the most part. Which was part of the attraction for me, the community. Those that will go out of their way to help you out.

Anyway, these are only my observations as I said. And recently becoming a full timer, it's something I've thought about. It is what it is, and you either make it work somehow or you don't. For me, I saved enough from my former job to give myself a window of time to either make it or break it at this crazy notion of being a full-time maker. At 10+ hours a day at my former job, it didn't give me nearly enough time to do what I truly enjoy.

And the short answer to your question. Yep, I'm in the same boat brother. LOl. I'm constantly struggling on figuring out what I should price them at.

Thanks for the interesting post. I agree I think Forged in Fire has gotten a lot of people into knife making but then again maybe it has also created a market for it so I don’t really know if it’s good or bad.

I take my hat off to you for having the courage to try and make it full time. If it’s any consolation since I started writing this thread asking what people think my knife is worth I have sold all the knives I made during the summer. It looks like if you make a decent knife you can make a decent dollar but then again there is a lot of undercutting but I think the secret is to build up a clientele and get a reputation and hopefully that will happen with you. I spent the summer making knives and put one up on the forum and it didn’t sell for about six weeks and suddenly it did and through word-of-mouth I sold all my other knives. Anyway, good luck to you and I hope things work out for you and your business is very successful.

Since it has been so long since I originally started this thread and it isn’t dying I thought I might put up some of my more recent chefs knives.

!cid_9c6c39be-ad65-4819-9b81-7a8cfa36e7a8@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg !cid_52b80a61-22f1-4860-a611-481a9c8c0f42@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg
!cid_97eacb5a-3ca8-4c14-80bd-9fb9a2a724db@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg !cid_d271452f-d14a-4cf1-bdbe-ff427a447229@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

Hello everyone, my name is Joe and I'm new to the forum. This happened to be the first post that I read and when I went to look at the up dated pictures it said that I needed to join in order to see them. I used to be in the culinary arts field and the chef knife heading probably caught my attention because of that. It has been many years ago (35 yrs.) but even then I was a connoisseur of tools and your knives were they available to me at that time would have been tested. I suspect that if their function is as good as their form I would have been the envy of the kitchen for a few days :) As far as your asking price I would say that there is the strong possibility that I paid more than your asking price and received less in what I got.

A few quick comments on pricing. My wife will occasionally ask me what I think an item is worth. I usually respond with "as much as I can get". She usually smiles and says "well, how much do you think you can get" I'll pretend to think about it for a moment and then I'll tell her a price. That all sounds kind of off the cuff and flippant but it isn't. I spent a fair number of years in business and part of my responsibilities was setting pricing on lines. Most items are sold before a customer takes out there money. People who are going to purchase something often have done research on the item. That research is often done with information that they get from the marketing efforts of companies that are selling the item. The marketing efforts are designed to establish not only the value of the item to the customer but also to convince the customer of the value of purchasing the item from their company. For example you should buy Cool Widget because of x, x, x and y. and you should buy it from them because of x, x, y and z. Depending on how well they do that seriously effects what they can ask for Cool Widget. The people doing the pricing have to be able to evaluate the value of those marketing efforts in order to get the maximum amount for their Cool Widget. If they can't effectively evaluate the value they will under price their item and lose margin or overprice and lose sales. Actually in looking back over my "quick comments" I realize that this is a topic that I can't really cover with a few quick comments. Not so much because it is a difficult subject but because I am such a verbose fellow that it takes me ten words to say what should take me two :) Before I shut up I would like to make one more observation. I think in one of your comments you said that once you sold your first knife word of mouth kicked in and you sold everything. The following is a comment, not a suggestion :) If I sold all of my inventory at my asking price I would stop and ask myself, what has changed? Perhaps my marketing improved for example it is a well know fact that word of mouth especially if it contains a personal endorsement of the product is the best marketing one can get. If somehow I managed to get some good word of mouth advertising going because people had started using my product and realized what an exceptional value it was then I would adjust my pricing accordingly. If supply is good and I'm running out of product it is because I'm selling it too cheap :) Sorry for the long and unsolicited reply, I have to say that I was really moved by the beauty and perceived quality of your knives and my big mouth got ahead of me. :) I am not a knife maker but have some other questions that a manufacturer directed me to this forum and said I could probably get some help so I will shut up and go in search of the appropriate place to ask those question. Have a great evening and keep on making those fantastic knives. I will show them to my wife and tell her it would make a great Christmas present :)

Hello everyone, my name is Joe and I'm new to the forum. This happened to be the first post that I read and when I went to look at the up dated pictures it said that I needed to join in order to see them. I used to be in the culinary arts field and the chef knife heading probably caught my attention because of that. It has been many years ago (35 yrs.) but even then I was a connoisseur of tools and your knives were they available to me at that time would have been tested. I suspect that if their function is as good as their form I would have been the envy of the kitchen for a few days :) As far as your asking price I would say that there is the strong possibility that I paid more than your asking price and received less in what I got.

A few quick comments on pricing. My wife will occasionally ask me what I think an item is worth. I usually respond with "as much as I can get". She usually smiles and says "well, how much do you think you can get" I'll pretend to think about it for a moment and then I'll tell her a price. That all sounds kind of off the cuff and flippant but it isn't. I spent a fair number of years in business and part of my responsibilities was setting pricing on lines. Most items are sold before a customer takes out there money. People who are going to purchase something often have done research on the item. That research is often done with information that they get from the marketing efforts of companies that are selling the item. The marketing efforts are designed to establish not only the value of the item to the customer but also to convince the customer of the value of purchasing the item from their company. For example you should buy Cool Widget because of x, x, x and y. and you should buy it from them because of x, x, y and z. Depending on how well they do that seriously effects what they can ask for Cool Widget. The people doing the pricing have to be able to evaluate the value of those marketing efforts in order to get the maximum amount for their Cool Widget. If they can't effectively evaluate the value they will under price their item and lose margin or overprice and lose sales. Actually in looking back over my "quick comments" I realize that this is a topic that I can't really cover with a few quick comments. Not so much because it is a difficult subject but because I am such a verbose fellow that it takes me ten words to say what should take me two :) Before I shut up I would like to make one more observation. I think in one of your comments you said that once you sold your first knife word of mouth kicked in and you sold everything. The following is a comment, not a suggestion :) If I sold all of my inventory at my asking price I would stop and ask myself, what has changed? Perhaps my marketing improved for example it is a well know fact that word of mouth especially if it contains a personal endorsement of the product is the best marketing one can get. If somehow I managed to get some good word of mouth advertising going because people had started using my product and realized what an exceptional value it was then I would adjust my pricing accordingly. If supply is good and I'm running out of product it is because I'm selling it too cheap :) Sorry for the long and unsolicited reply, I have to say that I was really moved by the beauty and perceived quality of your knives and my big mouth got ahead of me. :) I am not a knife maker but have some other questions that a manufacturer directed me to this forum and said I could probably get some help so I will shut up and go in search of the appropriate place to ask those question. Have a great evening and keep on making those fantastic knives. I will show them to my wife and tell her it would make a great Christmas present :)

Hello, JoeStreet. I have to say I found your post very interesting and I appreciate your perspective being both formerly in the culinary arts field and because of your business experience especially since it included setting pricing on lines. So no need to apologize for the long and unsolicited reply because I found it both interesting and informative and you have made me definitely rethink my pricing policy so your input was greatly appreciated and the last thing you should be doing is apologizing. Thanks again and I am humbled you like my knives. I am looking forward to spring so I can get back at it.

I mean't to add that I'm with O' Dubhthaigh, the 2nd and 4th knives handles are very nice. Particularly the 2nd knife. My little girl (Zoe) just informed me that she thinks the 3rd knife is the prettiest. She even liked it over the the nice pink handled one :)

I mean't to add that I'm with O' Dubhthaigh, the 2nd and 4th knives handles are very nice. Particularly the 2nd knife. My little girl (Zoe) just informed me that she thinks the 3rd knife is the prettiest. She even liked it over the the nice pink handled one :)

Thank you Joe; I am happy you like my handles. Your little girl Zoe seems like a very discerning little knife aficionado. The one she likes is made out of Kingwood from the section of tree where the light heartwood and dark sapwood meet. I never imagined making a pink handled knife till a nice lady friend asked me to and I am surprised how popular they are with the ladies so I may make another sometime. Thanks again for your input. :)

Back