My leather HEST sheath-a review of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post is long overdue.

I've been using Jeff and Mike's knives for almost 10 years now. I think I started with a TAK when they were just coming out-maybe '01 or '02? Those old ones were almost crude in comparison with how refined the new ESEE's are.

I've already posted how well I like the HEST and what abuse I've put it through so I won't rehash that here.

I'm not a huge fan of the kydex and molle stuff (no offense to you tactisexuals). It definitely has its place, and I've got a lot of it, but I'm more a traditionalist so I wanted to get a better sheath for the HEST; something in leather.

Some of you on this forum recommended Dwayne at armoralleather.com. After a few emails, Stacy helped me decide on what I wanted. I can't say enough nice things about them. The communication back from them was always instant and very helpful. Don't you hate it when you contact a company and they act like you're bothering them? Or you just never get a response? These guys aren't like that. At all. I was getting emails back within 24 hours, even on weekends. Impressive.

I was a little high maintenance about some features, particularly the fit of the knife in the sheath and the sheath to the belt. I like a VERY tight fit. I don't like knife slop and I can't stand to have a sheath that moves around on my belt like some flopping Barney Fife holster. So, I stressed to Stacy this point and they were more than happy to comply.

The belt loop for this sheath can come in both horizontal or vertical options and I always use vertical so I went with that. And I found my largest width belt and requested that the loop be no larger than that width. They handled my requests perfectly.

The final product fit and finish is great. Yes, I know the below pics are crappy--I only have a point and shoot and office flourescents with me right now. Some SLR pics will be forthcoming. But it gives you an idea of the knife in the sheath.

I am very happy with the outcome. The knife is a very tight fit in and out, which is what I wanted. I can take the sheath, turn it upside down and shake to my heart's content and it won't fall out. I typically don't like sheaths that bury so much of the knife's handle, leaving only a little bit exposed to gain a good purchase and draw, but that's where the HEST shines in these conditions--the prybar gives an excellent grip/leverage point to unsheath the knife. So, you get the best of both worlds--a deep, tight pocket for the knife but an easy draw even with wet and cold hands, due to the prybar.

The leather itself seems to be of decent quality. It still looks new even after being wet and carried on hunting and camping trips. My plan was to polish and put saddle soap on it as it got scratched and beat up. I love the patina that fine leather develops. But, I haven't had a need to put the first product on the sheath yet. How it looks today is how it looked when I got it about 6 months ago.

The price was also very reasonable in my opinion. I don't recall the exact amount now but I think it was in the $60-$70 range. Sure, more expensive than kydex but it looks a heck of a lot better to me. And a great price for what amounts to a custom built sheath. Wait time was a few weeks if I recall. Could be more or less now, I'm not sure.

Overall, I couldn't be happier about it. I still use the ESEE kydex for IWB carry if I want to conceal it, but for any other time, I use this sheath. I'll be wearing it this week on a hunting trip out to PA and I'll be wearing it next Spring during the RAT Wilderness Ops course.

My personal mark of a good product is: if it ever wears out or breaks, will I get the same thing or something different. I won't hesitate to buy the EXACT same sheath if I ever wear this one out. Doesn't look like that will happen any time soon, however.

So, Dwayne and Stacy, thanks a bunch! If you guys are looking for a leather sheath, go to www.armoralleather.com and have something made for your ESEE.

Here are some shots (higher quality ones to follow)

sheath3.jpg

sheath1.jpg

sheath2.jpg

Wow, that sheath is beautiful, I don't really like the look of kydex myself.

This is a great alternative. Now go wear that thing in!

very nice sheath, indeed
maybe you can post in the future some shots of the sheath thickness
one question ,the retention is based on friction/pressure on the knife blade and partially the handle ?

and one more, i forgot ...how do you carry the HEST IWB in the original sheath ?
any pics or any thoughts yo give me an idea of the set up ?

and one more, i forgot ...how do you carry the HEST IWB in the original sheath ?
any pics or any thoughts yo give me an idea of the set up ?

I use the original HEST sheath with the ESEE-3 boot clip screwed onto it. You have to drill out one of the screw holes to make it fit. Then, the sheath goes inside the waistband with the clip on the outside, hooking onto the belt.

The retention is based only on the handle friction fit with the leather from what I can see. The slot for the blade doesn't seem like it is quite tight enough to hold the blade.

The sheath is 11/16" thick except where the handle is at the top. Total width on that part looks like about 15/16".

I use the original HEST sheath with the ESEE-3 boot clip screwed onto it. You have to drill out one of the screw holes to make it fit. Then, the sheath goes inside the waistband with the clip on the outside, hooking onto the belt.

i was thinking you used a clip , but i wasnt sure, thats why i asked, because i used to carry iwb long time ago some cs push dagger that had a clip on the sheath, and it seemed the perfect carry method
and thanks for the sheath info also, seems to be quite thick, i guess thats why they call it armorleather
great reviews and information coming from your posts man :D

very nice. just needs a DPx Gear logo burned in. I officially award you the DPx HEST leather sheath eagle scout badge!

Awsome, thanks for sharing! I'm usually not a huge fan of leather but that is a great looking sheath and I like how there's no strap holding it in, it's all on retention pressure. It looks like it'll last you as long as your HEST will.

Thank you for the review Expatriated! :) I'm glad your enjoying that sheath. :D

very nice sheath, indeed
maybe you can post in the future some shots of the sheath thickness
one question ,the retention is based on friction/pressure on the knife blade and partially the handle ?
I do whats called a "cam lock" inside, it is incorporated in the welt and has proven, so far, to be holding up pretty good in the long run. My personal sheaths that have this are running on seven years and still click in place.
very nice. just needs a DPx Gear logo burned in. I officially award you the DPx HEST leather sheath eagle scout badge!
Now, that would be pretty nifty! I'd love a DPx logo stamp or attachment for my wood burner. An ESEE one would be sweet as well. :) Thank you for the kind words.
Great write-up.
Dwayne does great work, and somehow, Stacy keeps him in line!
Honestly, I dont know how she does it. :eek:

I've owned a few of their sheaths over the years. This is another fine example! Thanks for sharing.

That is a nicely made custom sheath. The kydex one works fine, but that leather one is nicer. Nice work! :thumbup::D

awesome stuff!
I was wondering why no one has ever posted a leather hest sheath picture on here and *bam*
love it but I think it would be so much more desirable if it was low hanging, yeah? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back