My Manix 2 Maxamet Just Snapped !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me that I have a Maxamet PM2 with lock slip that I am reluctant to send in for repair, as Spyderco will likely claim it's not covered under warranty...

Are you worried they wont give you the option send it back? I think that in your case you'd have the option to get it back from them. If that's your concern, you could call first to make sure a scenario like that doesn't exist.

There's an example of that happening with a specific knife but Spyderco was required by a court to do it. It's a long story and I dont know all of the details.

Why would it be illogical to lie? Lying, when it benefits the person lying, is perfectly logical. You think this would be the first time someone clamped a knife down in a vice and snapped it off as either a way to:
1. Smear the company or
2. Get a new knife blade?

I’m not saying that’s what happened, but in the world of consumer products we can’t be so naive as to think just because we like knives that it’s one big tight knit community of impeccable character. I know for a fact that isn’t the case.
IMO it's illogical to lie because I don't see Spyderco caving to public opinion on this topic, or even bothering to comment on it. I don't think OP spinning a story is going to have any impact on them getting a knife replaced under warranty. Sometimes on this forum it feels like it's exceedingly rare to see Spyderco or their fans even acknowledge Spyderco is in the wrong about something.

As I noted before, it's also not surprising to hear that a Maxamet blade might have been borked from the factory. I don't have to believe that our entire community is a bunch of angels to believe when someone says that their Maxamet knife wasn't done right.

Are you worried they wont give you the option send it back? I think that in your case you'd have the option to get it back from them. If that's your concern, you could call first to make sure a scenario like that doesn't exist.

There's an example of that happening with a specific knife but Spyderco was required by a court to do it. It's a long story and I dont know all of the details.
I don't want to pay to ship a knife, not have it for weeks or months, risk losing it in the mail, all for them to say it's not a problem or can't be fixed or is my fault. It's just a waste of their time and mine. I've read enough about their warranty, including the new revision in 2017, to know that they'll consider me changing the scales to be an alteration that affects the lockup of the knife.

This is the only time I've even kept a knife with a suspect lock, as I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find a new one if I had sent it back to the dealer. It's not even relevant to the discussion at hand, so for OP I'm going to cease commenting on it.

I don't want to pay to ship a knife, not have it for weeks or months, risk losing it in the mail, all for them to say it's not a problem or can't be fixed or is my fault. It's just a waste of their time and mine. I've read enough about their warranty, including the new revision in 2017, to know that they'll consider me changing the scales to be an alteration that affects the lockup of the knife.

This is the only time I've even kept a knife with a suspect lock, as I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find a new one if I had sent it back to the dealer. It's not even relevant to the discussion at hand, so for OP I'm going to cease commenting on it.

If it is your fault, which I'm not assuming it is, then the good news is that it can be fixed.

In either scenario it may be possible to fix. Is it lock stick or lock slip?

It's clear that the options are either the OP (a Spyderco enthusiast, it appears) lied and posted this entire falsified story for illogical reasons, or that a Maxamet blade had preexisting issues (as are known to happen to that alloy) and the blade snapped without abuse. I'm picking option 2, considering I've had issues with 2/3 of the Maxamet knives I've owned. You may approach this question differently.

If I were Spyderco I would approach it with an open mind. Obviously many customers lie so I would examine the knife and make my determination based on what I observed rather than the consumer's description.

If I were Spyderco I would approach it with an open mind. Obviously many customers lie so I would examine the knife and make my determination based on what I observed rather than the consumer's description.
I wonder what the cost is to do an analysis of the steel on every single broken blade sent into them... I realize we have “forum googles” on here, and think that our posts command attention but really what is the risk vs. reward here? How many people read this forum and have or will buy a Spyderco knife? Dissect that into those that would read this thread?
Maybe it’s just cheaper to say “your fault” when blades break and move on when the truth of the matter can’t be found easily?
Lots of people here like to tag Sal as a “hey you, pay attention to me and what is being discussed!”... maybe he really doesn’t have time for that, or maybe he has looked and made his decision to not engage. We should maybe respect that decision... or not. I choose to respect it because I have faith in the company due to my experiences and history with them.

I imagine the analysis is just visual in the vast majority of cases. Look at the break. They should have records of warranty claims. Are more Maxamet blades seeing claims? Are they broken in the same place?
Would be interesting to know, but I can understand why they wouldn’t release that info. Sometimes the internet has a way of sensationalizing problems that aren’t so big. Not to say that happened here but only they know the truth.

I expected rampant speculation and bad science, but this thread has just become ridiculous.

If you want to speculate and act like an authority, please educate yourself, rather than embarrass yourself and confuse others. Here are a few references that I suggest reading, before speculating on how or why a knife blade may have snapped:
  1. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/08/05/how-to-design-knives-that-do-not-fail/
  2. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/04/15/how-stress-risers-lead-to-broken-blades/
  3. Overview of the Mechanisms of Failure in Heat Treated Steel Components
  4. Techniques of Failure Analysis

Last edited:
I expected rampant speculation and bad science, but this thread has just become ridiculous.

If you want to speculate and act like an authority, please educate yourself, rather than embarrass yourself and confuse others. Here are a few references that I suggest reading, before speculating on how or why a knife blade may have snapped:
  1. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/08/05/how-to-design-knives-that-do-not-fail/
  2. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/04/15/how-stress-risers-lead-to-broken-blades/
  3. Overview of the Mechanisms of Failure in Heat Treated Steel Components
  4. Techniques of Failure Analysis
Maybe you could summarize things instead of the whole “post a bunch of links and run” ordeal?

Maybe you could summarize things instead of the whole “post link and run” ordeal?

Here's a summary:

Failure analysis is an extremely complex subject and involves areas of mechanics, physics, metallurgy, chemistry and electrochemistry, manufacturing processes, stress analysis, design analysis, and fracture mechanics, to name a few specialties. Because it is nearly impossible for any one person to be an expert in all these fields, it is extremely important to know when to seek help. In any situation, it is very important not to leap to conclusions.
- https://www.asminternational.org/documents/10192/1849770/ACF512C.PDF
If you bothered to read any of my other posts in this thread, you would know exactly what I think about this particular situation.

It's sad to see that this thread is starting to look like the "Sebenza 31 lock rock" thread over at the CRK forums. People reporting an issue, a few others reported similar issues, diehard fanbois started a crusade to discredit everything the person said, started defining how a knife should be used, moving goal posts around, and even questioning the integrity of the long time member. Funny to see how Spyderco fans turn on each others at the slightest disagreement, as if they seem to have deep personal stake in the issue.

Sometimes this place can be self-contradicting. I see people shitting on the "basic" S30V steel everytime Spyderco comes up with a new model. "We need at least 20CV, S110V, etc.". Yet when we have these "premium super" steel, you get comments about how if you just slice banana at a 43.65 degree angle it's considered abuse, or cutting anything that requires >1.248lb of downward pressure that's plus/minus 3 degree off center of the pressure is out of the design specs of Maxamet.

Serious question, why do you need Maxamet? What can Maxamet cut in your EDC life that's not consider an abuse? I suspect once we start putting together a list of within spec & out of spec material that a "super steel" like Maxamet should/should not be used based on forums opinions, it'll start looking a bit ridiculous.

Before this dumpster fire gets closed going to say
The issue isn’t about drywall cutting techniques, design properties, debate of the aspects of various steels, it’s about one side of the story of a denied warranty claim. The letter OP received sucked IMO but no one here knows the circumstances of the denied warranty service but the person who denied the claim. Other members have reported breaking their blades and received warranty replacement, so there’s more to the story, and don’t know how much of it is any of our business. My experience with Spyderco has been favorable, and my trust and loyalty to the brand is based on that.

Here's a summary:

Failure analysis is an extremely complex subject and involves areas of mechanics, physics, metallurgy, chemistry and electrochemistry, manufacturing processes, stress analysis, design analysis, and fracture mechanics, to name a few specialties. Because it is nearly impossible for any one person to be an expert in all these fields, it is extremely important to know when to seek help. In any situation, it is very important not to leap to conclusions.
- https://www.asminternational.org/documents/10192/1849770/ACF512C.PDF
If you bothered to read any of my other posts in this thread, you would know exactly what I think about this particular situation.
I really don’t care what you think. I care about facts. You think I owe you credit for having an opinion?

Before this dumpster fire gets closed going to say
The issue isn’t about drywall cutting techniques, design properties, debate of the aspects of various steels, it’s about one side of the story of a denied warranty claim. The letter OP received sucked IMO but no one here knows the circumstances of the denied warranty service but the person who denied the claim. Other members have reported breaking their blades and received warranty replacement, so there’s more to the story, and don’t know how much of it is any of our business. My experience with Spyderco has been favorable, and my trust and loyalty to the brand is based on that.

Me too.

Serious question, why do you need Maxamet? What can Maxamet cut in your EDC life that's not consider an abuse?

My Maxamet purchase was actually, at least in part, need based. At work I'm cutting a highly abrasive material, on some days, quite a lot of it. A chunk of money was spent on various steels like S30V, M390, and 20CV, from different makers, and none of it was holding up at work.

I finally bought a Native 5 in Maxamet. It solved the problem I was having with edge retention.

2.15% carbon... carbide levels around 22%??
Larrin has the toughness ranked at about 2.5 foot pounds
carbide-replacement-steel-KSN-toughness.jpg

what could go wrong? ;P

honestly I think Spyderco would have been smart if they offered the manix 2 s30v blade replacement for half price (or free)
if the OP took some zoomed in pictures of the break, it would have been really helpful overall

Going to close this thread for now.

If one of the Spyderco Mods decides to reply they’ll still have the ability to do so as will the OP, the rest though has went on long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back