My military project. FKU(K)

I'm still nervous about putting this out, since I haven't got enough blades done yet to really commit myself. I have 3 large and one small heat treated and in various stages of handles, with 8 more to heat treat this week. Once I have 10 or more complete and ready to ship, I'll work on the actual plan for moving them out.

What this is, is my answer to the occasional requests for how I'd do a keppie. Combined with my goal to get a Christmas project to get some knives to deployed troops. I have a unit lined up for the US, and maybe if some other makers jump in we could punch out a lot.

FKU(K): Field Knife, Utility (Koyote)

My design criteria involved a spearpoint, broad bladed, with an easily maintained edge and a rock hard handle. Various persons who have deployed gave me suggestions- the broad spearpoint is one of them, as is the handle with a little guard and a nearly indestructable material. It had to be something I'm good at doing fairly quick (1/8 inch scandivex), easily maintained (1/8 inch scandivex), stout enough for use, but utilitarian.

The blade length on this is 5.5 inches with an overall length of 10 3/4 inches. It's 1080 steel, full quench and temper, with a spine draw down. The handle is the carmel micarta that I've been picking up, which is just impossible stuff to kill. It's also incredibly hard to work, and comes .51 inches thick, so if I'm willing to chew up some 60 grit belts I can get the handle done fast, but it's not as fast as using 3/8 canvas micarta. Oh, well, compromise. Pins are carbon steel as well so they can be blued to match the tang and spine.

I wanted a military design, but I also know I'm not going to make a Gerber, I'm going to make a Koyote, so I pushed back on some ideas for things that just aren't me. It's a solid piece- 305 grams - with much of my traditional look and feel.

I did choose the dogbone handle and longer blade for desperation reasons- while this is not a combat knife, any knife is a fighter if you have it and need it. I'd trust this one just fine.

I am still debating the sheath. I don't do kydex, don't plan to start, and think I'd be fine with a standard explorer model sheath with snap retention. However, the possibility of grabbing someone out in Utah to do sheaths for these in kydex looms strong in my mind. Of course, the minor logistical problem remains that every knife I make is done without pattern or marking, and every sheath will have to be formed individually.

I'm also debating filework on the thumramp. I will probably do it, it's 10 minutes per blade for the most basic style I do, and definitely adds a maker's touch.

I'm also looking at ways to get these into the hands of the poor Army guys in question- I've been debating between a donation bucket via my website (and my forum if permitted), and making some of them as matched pairs with one selling for double price and going to the donor and the other going to the soldier.

Anyhow, FKU(K)

2011-08-16-01.jpg

2011-08-16-02.jpg

2011-08-16-03.jpg

2011-08-16-04.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. 5.5" is just about ideal for a military knife. Sure a Kbar is bigger, but 5.5" is big enogh to be useful, yet small enough to fit on today's military gear and not be too obtrusive. Spearpoint is always a good choice, but I'd like to see a 2-3" swedge on the top edge. For style if nothing else. Regardless, I'd carry that anywhere.

I may swedge some of them. I personally don't see the point (hah), but I can see people liking them, and some guys going to a full double edge.

Which brings up a point of sorts-

I was asked, offline, why not just get a big purchase of gators together and send off 100 of them.

If I managed to get enough of these together to outfit one complete platoon, within a week everyone in the platoon would be able to identify their FKU(K) by sight or feel. I'm trying to do this project so I can provide something with a bit more soul, concern, individuality, ...patriotism, even. BTDT- I got care packages, and a lot of the stuff was useful. One time I got a card from some little girl who was a member of a brownie troop. As much as I liked having some shampoo and real toothpaste and dental floss (especially dental floss), that Brownie's christmas card - sent AFTER the big shooting phase, during the red sea blockade- that one mattered. That was a big deal.

So - that's why not a gross of gators.

Oh now I really like that! I suspect that it developed out of several conversations with lots of folks? Blade shape looks really functional. I am with Rotte on the swedge; for looks of course.

What sort of price are you looking at for these?

Yeah, conversations about archaeologists, JTACs, grunts, deployments.

I've got one swedged one heat treated right now, I'll see how it goes. shouldn't be a problem to do on many of them.

Now, I just need to find some Great Basin made field capable kydex sheaths.... hrm...... :D

I am still working on price. If I go donation bucket for the ones being sent to the ashcan, I'm going to try hard to get them under $150, MIGHT make $125 if things work out right. I think I might manage that if I'm careful with my time. How to handle civvie sales before Christmas I'm not sure. After, I'll try and work it out....

Last edited:
I like it - while some folks may prefer a swedge, I'm not one of them.
looks nice and functional.
$125 would be well within the budget for most E4 and below.
I would also suggest a "mini" model with 4" blade and the same handle, since a lot of units have a 4" limit for blades in the barracks. (or on the ship)

Well, the first set here I'm planning to start raising money to send them off as gifts, before I start doing regular sales.

I haven't done 4 inches yet, but here's one of the small 4.5 inch ones alongside two larger FKUKs. This particular one is a fairly thin handle based on 1/4 inch brown canvas micarta as a lower profile carry.

2011-08-17-01.jpg

2011-08-17-02.jpg

Great project. Will follow. I too would like to see a 4" bladed version. Really like the brown micarta handle on that last one.

I'll be doing more of the shorter version in the dark brown. Have to get ursus some mail for kydex sheathing and make more.

waiting on ups......

That is alot of knife. Very cool design, Christof. I know I would have shat my pants had I seen this in one of my care packages. Justy got back from Iraq the other day...good to see youre still putting them down. Finally get to take my LBK out for a spin soon.

That is alot of knife. Very cool design, Christof. I know I would have shat my pants had I seen this in one of my care packages. Justy got back from Iraq the other day...good to see youre still putting them down. Finally get to take my LBK out for a spin soon.

Make sure it's sharp! and check out what Rotte did to his in the other thread.

Mike-

That's actually good to know. I've had a lot of specific people give me positive juju that's making me think this is a workable design for the field.

Christof,

This will be a phenomenal project:thumbup: Being a veteran of Desert Storm, I would've loved to have carried one of these blades. Keep up the great work Christof!!!

Christof,

This will be a phenomenal project:thumbup: Being a veteran of Desert Storm, I would've loved to have carried one of these blades. Keep up the great work Christof!!!

That was "my war" as well. Which is one reason this has been floating in my head for a few years. :D

I didn't fully read this thread but I really like the knife. I'd definitely be interested in purchasing one.

Nice work!

I have a pile of these heat treated and wiating on the handles.

I'm intending to do some as matched sets- one goes to the ashcan, one to the donor/purchaser. Not sure how many yet. 10? maybe 12.

Those all look awesome. I know quiet a few guys who would carry and love them including myself.

Back