My most complex sheath yet

Fallbrook Forge

Gold Member
Oy! Took two tries on this one. Got ALMOST to the finish line and realized I’d screwed the pooch on the belt loop.

came back at it today with a much better result overall I think.

I can’t thank Horsewright Horsewright enough for the tutorials on leather. I would be doing this well without them!

Anyways, customer asked for a vertical/horizontal with a fire steel loop. I know that’s probably very basic to a lot of you, but I hadn’t done anything even close to this yet! It was a learning experience for sure! and I need more tools!

Thanks for looking
E6602DC1-2AA8-4133-A98D-E2B139AE5C0D.jpeg 11A78DBB-6BEB-4B32-9C64-331AD6613B3B.jpeg 996E63D5-D29E-405E-BB7F-57607D7C9992.jpeg 328BEFD1-0048-4120-B5A9-766245591E48.jpeg

In progress with attempt #2.
132043C6-1A7F-4144-BEB3-020E2216C790.jpeg

That’s a unique h/v carry belt loop. I like it. It looks like you molded it to have belt thickness under the loop?

That looks really good. Now, having done it twice, what would you do different next time?

Do you have a pic of rhe knife as well?
468BC7BB-DDDA-4F2A-B881-B8F877725770.jpeg

That’s a unique h/v carry belt loop. I like it. It looks like you molded it to have belt thickness under the loop?
I did, that was one of the big mistakes I made on the first one. I didn’t mold it and then couldn’t get a belt through.

That looks really good. Now, having done it twice, what would you do different next time?
Thank you!
Do it right the first time! Lol

stamp the back with my name or mark before assembly, doh!

I forgot to groove the back side of the sheath for the stitching, it’s not a huge deal but a detail I would’ve liked to include.
Better prep of the ferro rod loop, I had to re do that after punching the stitch holes.
Prep the top of the front piece better. I had to take some artistic license to fix the crease that got all catywhompus after I leveled the front with the welt pieces.
Buy and use a round strap end punch for the belt loop, cutting that with a box cutter was a nightmare.
I’d like to get a better burnishing setup, the edges are slick, but I like it when they get a bit darker than they did and I think speed will help with that.

Do it right the first time!

View attachment 1259138

I did, that was one of the big mistakes I made on the first one. I didn’t mold it and then couldn’t get a belt through.

Thank you!
Do it right the first time! Lol

stamp the back with my name or mark before assembly, doh!

I forgot to groove the back side of the sheath for the stitching, it’s not a huge deal but a detail I would’ve liked to include.
Better prep of the ferro rod loop, I had to re do that after punching the stitch holes.
Prep the top of the front piece better. I had to take some artistic license to fix the crease that got all catywhompus after I leveled the front with the welt pieces.
Buy and use a round strap end punch for the belt loop, cutting that with a box cutter was a nightmare.
I’d like to get a better burnishing setup, the edges are slick, but I like it when they get a bit darker than they did and I think speed will help with that.

Do it right the first time!

Excellent. Its really good to do those little rethink deals and ponder em. Really how a guy learns to do alot of this stuff.

Dreaded double is back!

Last edited:
Back