My most used SAK tool, what's yours

On my Rally, the Phillips and slotted screwdrivers get used all the time. I tend to use them before I even bother looking for a standard, full-handled driver. On my Tinker, probably the Phillips and the can opener, which is perfect for prying open stubborn nuts lately.

most used would be the saw blade on either my wenger rangergrip 178 or my vic 2008 soldier knife, depending upon which one i have with me at the time. i prefer the wenger, though.

on my classic it would have to be the file.

my cutting tasks are generally handled with a spyderco paramilitary 2. i never leave home without it.

Scissors on my Super Tinker. I've used it almost exclusively, with rare appearances by the other tools over the years. I find a small folding scissors to be indispensable when I need to cut something around other people and don't wish to frighten them with a blade.

I definitely use the scissors and the pliers the most with the others kinda serving as backup. I just bought a brand new troubleshooter and love it. Like Curahee most of my cutting is done with my EDC folder but its still nice to have two virgin blades on you when you need them.

The scissors on my climber get a lot of use. I bought my niece a Barbie for her birthday and of course she wanted to open it at the restaurant. The damn thing was strapped in to the packaging with no less than 15 of those elastic straps. With my niece's puppy dog eyes looking at me she said "we don't have any scissors here uncle Mike." Vic climber to the rescue, Barbie free from the packaging and the icing on the cake for me, a big hug from the sweetest 5 year old you'll ever meet.

The scissors on my climber get a lot of use. I bought my niece a Barbie for her birthday and of course she wanted to open it at the restaurant. The damn thing was strapped in to the packaging with no less than 15 of those elastic straps. With my niece's puppy dog eyes looking at me she said "we don't have any scissors here uncle Mike." Vic climber to the rescue, Barbie free from the packaging and the icing on the cake for me, a big hug from the sweetest 5 year old you'll ever meet.

Nice story! My daughter is 2 and now I think I'm going to make sure I have a SAK on me for her 3rd birthday.

Recruit. Use the small blade & can opener/flat head the most, though the can opener rarely gets used on cans.

On my classic the scissors then the nail file, the same goes for my money clip SAK.
On my newly aquired Executive, the scissors are the most used at the moment, but the orange peeler is proving usefull. I'm using it more than the blade, its Sharper than I thought it was gonna be. It will cut magazine paper really nicely, bit me the first time I opened it too. Thats how I learned it was sharp, its like a small serrated blade perfectly sized for paracord :D.

im curious, what sort of jobs you perform with the awl. I dont own a SAK with an awl but i cannot see it being useful?

The awl on 93mm alox SAKs is the best tool ever! It is great for safely cutting zip ties, boring holes in al kinds of materials, scraping, and more...

Tinker is 91mm Cellidor with the back-mounted awl. Pioneer and Farmer are alox and it's tough to recommend one over the other. Pioneers can be often purchased for much less than Farmers At the same time, unless you live in a submarine, you will proably find yourself in situaitns where a wood saw comes useful...

Most used? The pruning blade on my Rancher, followed by the awl and the bottle opener(mostly for light prying). If I could replace the main blade with a saw it would be perfect.

no mods - void warranty

EDIT: Oops, didnt realize this was manufacturer's subforum. Anyway, I use the pliers the most.

Last edited:
Cigar cutter, now if I could only find the discontinued sak slimline cigar cutter knife my quest would be fulfilled.

Back