My most used SAK tool, what's yours

.... cleaning under my nails. The awl is my favorite and most used SAK tool.

Nearly every day! The Awl on the Wenger is just an abbreviated ice-pick. No edge to bite with. Scissors second, also for nail-trimming, mostly. Magnifier 3rd at this time, for all the times I don't have my reader's with me.

Toothpick!
+1! Everyday!

Most used for me (after the toothpick) is undoubtedly the flat screwdriver/bottle opener tool. I've used that for so many different things it's not even funny.

Once while working as an EMT/Ambulance Driver, a person had locked himself in the restroom at a grocery store and subsequently became unresponsive. The clerk who called us didn't know how to get the door open and ran off to try to track down a maintenance worker to get the door open for us. I pulled out my Victorinox, stuck the flat screwdriver into the keyhole, worked a little magic, and "click!" the door unlocked. We opened it to find a man unconscious in a pool of vomit. Just about that time, the clerk returned (with no help, by the way) and said, "Wow, you were able to get the door open?" I just said, "Of course! We're the ambulance crew". That was one odd-ball use I made for that tool. I've used it hundreds for times for all sorts of things over the years.

Not my most used but my most appreciated. Today I had to move a boat load of pallets of road salt and dang if I didn't get a nasty splinter. Those tweezers sure came in handy.

The awl and bottle opener are the most used on my farmer. I usually also carry something with scissors because when the Huntsman was my only SAK from age 8 on I used the scissors more than anything. I wish swissbianco would come out with a Farmer with Scissors--that would be the last and only SAK I would need!

The awl and bottle opener are the most used on my farmer. I usually also carry something with scissors because when the Huntsman was my only SAK from age 8 on I used the scissors more than anything. I wish swissbianco would come out with a Farmer with Scissors--that would be the last and only SAK I would need!

He said in another thread that we'll never see scissors on a knife that size.

Second to the main blade on my Recruit, the flat end of the bottle opener is most used, for flathead screw, and light prying.

Another vote for the awl. I use all of the tools for many reasons but the awl is the best fingernail cleaner on the planet. By changing the angle it will scrape in both directions. The "Hiker" I have carried everyday for many more years than a lot of folks here have been alive is the most versatile and useful piece of gear I can imagine. I describe it as my multi-purpose hammer knife and that speaks volumes as to the durability of these fine tools.

The main blade. The small flat head screwdriver on top of the can-opener comes in a close second though.

The single biggest reason I have for liking the Alox models is the awl. The the OP said, its so useful for many things.

The main blade on the bushcrafter, this knife is with me all the time, it's helped me alot of times and has traveld with me all around the world.
The large flathead screwdriver/bottle opener on my soldier (alox 08 in my service jacket)) is also used alot, mainly to pop open hatches when i'm at work (hate walking back to my toolkit inside the hangar).

Last edited:
Alox equals Awl for me as the most used. On my Super Tinker I use the scissors a ton...

Paul

I won't say its my most used tool, but the magnifier on my Explorers and Yeomans get a lot more usage than I would expect.

20140415_174711_zps3cbb9644.jpg

Back