My name is Gary...and I'm a Whittler Addict.....'Hi Gary'

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Time to face up to the fact, I have a problem, I have been told that is the first step, it's not much, but it's a start.

For years now I've gone through many whittler folders, some I thought would stay but they would move on, the latest is a Case Whittler in vintage stag, pretty nice folder, we'll see how long this one lasts.

Case Seahorse by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

The point was rounded as a lot of the polished blades from Case are, but I worked the point so it is a nice pointy blade now.

Here are a few that have past through over the years;

IMG_5017 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Seahorse_2 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

jiggedbone_Seahorse by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1651 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1005 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_0726 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Seahorse_2010 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

BC_W_all_out by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_0469 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_0911 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Eureka_clip by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

That is a bunch of em' all good, all nice, but most all are gone, long live the new one
G2

Last edited:
Time to face up to the fact, I have a problem, I have been told that is the first step, but, it's a start.

For years now I've gone through many whittler folders, some I thought would stay but they would move on, the latest is a Case Whittler in vintage stag, pretty nice folder, we'll see how long this one lasts.

The point was rounded as a lot of the polished blades from Case are, but I worked the point so it is a nice pointy blade now.

Here are a few that have past through over the years;

IMG_5017 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Seahorse_2 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

jiggedbone_Seahorse by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1651 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1005 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_0726 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Seahorse_2010 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

BC_W_all_out by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_0469 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_0911 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Eureka_clip by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

That is a bunch of em' all good, all nice, but most all are gone, long live the new one
G2
Some very enviable Whittlers, Gary!

Where are the meetings being held? I think I better start attending. :D
Fantastic run of whittlers, Gary. I hope that new Seahorse is a keeper for you, it's a beautiful knife. It looks like Case put a lot into finishing those up very nicely, with the very nice stag, lined bolsters and it looks like they rounded the spines.

Thanks guys, I'm 'coping' with my issues as best I can but it is 'wharncliffing' me down to mere shavings of my former self ;)
I will say though, this one is pretty nice and I hope it does hang around, may make a sheath for it, which is always a good sign that it has a bit more longevity than most.

Here is a Link to my album of my whittlers for extra images if anyone is interested in seeing more photos

G2

and flatblackcapo, meetings are every Wednesday at 8 sharp, down at the corner of Whittling and Carving Ave, can't miss it :)

Hi Gary I'm JJ ... I'm recovering whittler ... (sometimes I fall off the wagon) ...

Those are some nice looking knives to have to feed the addiction ... I like the seahorse for a quite night on the porch swing watching then sun fade and it seems to end up in my hand. :thumbsup:

Hi JJ...:)

and yes, while the main blade is pretty thick, which had concerned me a long time ago, they do grind it down pretty good and the smaller blades are great, nice and thin. Several of the ones that have gone on I do miss, that Bulldog one was pretty sweet, may need to hunt one of those up again one day.

G2

I have one bulldog left I tend to baby it more than I should ... and my old seahorse is not nearly as nice as the one you posted but was given to be by someone special so it resides in a wooden tray just inside the porch door togo keep me company.

JJ

That's a Great whittler there Chip, very sweet folder!
G2

Hi Gary, Addict is a strong word. Collector of fine cutlery is better. I'm with you though :)

H9GyYxg.jpg

I would agree....if I actually collected and kept them, but, selling to fund the next one is problematic but necessary, as I won't go into debt to get any toys, so that does limit my buying, see, I have limits lol ;) they are pretty low, but I have em'

Those look like a group of very nice knives btw !

G2

Alright, Gary. Long time admirer of your threads, pics, and humour. Butt kissing aside if you decide to move this one along...DIBS!

I haven't yet owned a whittler but I'm aware of the Case seahorse. It's not a split back, right? I guess the Case philosophy is a thick wharn so you can really dig out chips without fear of blade damage. Just my supposition- perhaps it's a design flaw.

Anyway, please let me know when you fall off the wagon and leave this one behind weeping...like all addicts are wont to do.

Alright, Gary. Long time admirer of your threads, pics, and humour. Butt kissing aside if you decide to move this one along...DIBS!
I haven't yet owned a whittler but I'm aware of the Case seahorse. It's not a split back, right? I guess the Case philosophy is a thick wharn so you can really dig out chips without fear of blade damage. Just my supposition- perhaps it's a design flaw.
Anyway, please let me know when you fall off the wagon and leave this one behind weeping...like all addicts are wont to do.

Never can tell, I can sometimes leave a knife in less than a hour, but then it can drag on for hours at a time ;)

As to the back springs, there are two, side by side, no split liner on this one, so each small blade has it's own back spring and combined they provide tension on the main blade.
G2

I don't have any but I need at least 1 so just help yourself to sending one my way Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley but seriously the first Northfield, I think it is a Northfield, you have a pic of what is that one looks more like a sunfish style. I have been drooling over a Bose/Case Lockback Whittler but $400 I don't have and man it is kinda tough to think about using/carrying it but why else would I get it. I am really drawn to the Wharncliffe main blade models.

It was a Northfield Little Carver and got that and a nice Congress the same day, very cool folders!

IMG_1663 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1645 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1646 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1648 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1656 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Edited to add, the only ones I have right now is the new Stag Seahorse and the Moore Maker whittler, which I did muck up the main blade by trying to grind in a new nail nick, it works but it isn't so pretty any more, the original nail nick was on the wrong side of center to open the knife easily.

That new Case is nice Garry. May have to peruse the Case display cases next knife store visit.

One the GEC Little Carver. My first thought was... why a Sunfish for a whittler. But it has a wharncliffe blade and the extra blade belly makes a lot of sense to me for wood carving/whittling.

Back