My name is Gary...and I'm a Whittler Addict.....'Hi Gary'

I've been looking for one also (among others) but no luck. Seems like it should be a good one. Good luck in your search.
Good luck to you as well. The coast is clear for you (I won't be buying right now even if I found one).

So, I picked this up with every intent of using it. Not sure what I expected - but to me, it is much nicer than I though it would be.
Now, I'm not sure if I want to use it or put it in the display case. The pic with the dollar bill is the best shot of the actual color.
Thoughts? Thank you.
OG
0921181205aaa.jpg
0921181205aab.jpg 0921181206aahh.jpg 0921181159aad.jpg 0921181215aaff_HDR.jpg

So, I picked this up with every intent of using it. Not sure what I expected - but to me, it is much nicer than I though it would be.
Now, I'm not sure if I want to use it or put it in the display case. The pic with the dollar bill is the best shot of the actual color.
Thoughts? Thank you.
OG
View attachment 990158
View attachment 990159 View attachment 990160 View attachment 990162 View attachment 990163

I have a few Schatts, I love ‘em, but unfortunately for me I’ve become a spoiled steel snob. We live in good times, with some of the best 1095 and other good quality steels ever made, I just never really tried to EDC a Schatt blade.

If you do carry it, report back on the edge quality if you would. I’d be interested to hear!

I have a few Schatts, I love ‘em, but unfortunately for me I’ve become a spoiled steel snob. We live in good times, with some of the best 1095 and other good quality steels ever made, I just never really tried to EDC a Schatt blade.
If you do carry it, report back on the edge quality if you would. I’d be interested to hear!
Not to draw this out, but I decided to go ahead and try it out on some basswood. After all, the main reason I got it was to see if I liked a Wharncliffe of this size - meaning not as wide as a Seahorse (I spent under $40 for it). First thing I found was like a Seahorse, I didn't care for the bevel so that became the first order of business. I'm far from "good" and it took me awhile to get it where I thought I wanted it, same story with sharpening. Both took longer than I thought they would. I'm pretty sure this was due to my unseasoned technique and not with the steel J jnevill - in fact it seems to hold the edge I ended up with pretty well. I'd say it's about on par with others of this size that I use, although it might need to be touched up a little more frequently. As to the main blade size, I found no real advantage to using it. And again it's just me, but because it's narrower than a Seahorse I did find myself trying to use it a tight area where I usually would have already gone to something else, which almost caused a big boo-boo.
Overall, I'm glad I decided to try it out and I've found that personally, I don't need to spend the bucks for more expensive blade of this type.
OG

I am returning a Case Seahorse in red sycamore that I just bought. It has large gaps and the blades have play. Definitely not worth the money I paid! Really like that Schatt.
Mike

b5iRAX0.jpg

If you wanna be my spouse...

A couple of whittling knives from a husband and wife team, their company name is Helvie, pretty high quality for not a lot of money, I did do a whipping knot on each of mine to add some gripping area.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

here are some of the friends I made for myself, haven't done much recently as my right hand is a bit tingly so I'm giving my wrist a rest.

G2

Back