My New Angus Trim

Infi-del

Gold Member
So Mr. Trim keeps threatening to retire. So I knew I needed to get one of his pieces before they become no more.

Happy to add this brute to my collection. Type XVIa.5 with about a 35" blade, 10" grip, about 2.3" wide at the base with a weight of 3lbs 5oz.

Also pictured next to a Type XVIIIb.7 (which isn't a small sword) for reference.

414131819.jpg

414131820.jpg

Gus has come a long way. I have one from his first batches, back when Albion and some others were selling his swords. My XIIIa had been on Albion's pages back when Howy and Amy were still in Maryland. I ordered just after their move to Wisconsin. I later bought a prototype that had been on Josh Hemingway's pages back in 2003 off his All Saints pages. I have somewhat of an older archive of images from one of his later pages and some others. Although some have clamored for a complete list, I point to SFI and simply run searches. Anyway, here is a short list from one of the pages and some others.
http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/album.php?albumid=5

My pair with a Del Tin 5157
trio.jpg blackbird.jpg

The XIIIa was from that first run and originally shipped to Albion as a blunt. This was dubbed "the classic" later on and probably his lightest XIIIa, under three pounds. The blackened XIIa was a 1319 model blade with an eight inch grip. Most (or all) of his 1319 builds were later to be nine inch grips.

Under the Howy wrapped leather on the XIIIa is a bubinga wood grip. Gus later went with walnut. The first All Saints venture was a real boon for a couple of years and then issues went south for awhile. Gus has more or less bounced back and is now partnered once again. I hope that works out well as he retires and may he keep grinding as long as possible.

A katana project that stalled but did produce an example or few.

01.jpg

Old knife models
IMG_0182_1.jpg

His old tactical swords and more at the slim linked archive

tacjian.jpg

As he announced taking orders through Longship Armoury, I guess we will have to wait to see how his later years go. Among the various collaborations in the past was one brief moment of Gus, Adrian Ko and John Lundemo doing a special run. Gus' past few years have been fairly stellar after his move.

I hope the end is not near, as I think his stuff has only gotten better with each piece.

Cheers
GC

His tactical katana was based on his smaller katana blade. All this stuff goes way back more than a dozen years.

corrected_kat.jpg img_0075.jpg
His three bare kat blades
kats.jpg

Gladius and short swords

at7b.jpg

at9b.jpg

There was a period when there were half a dozen vendors and the sets of short and long matched pairs were often found through Lee Reeves. Some of his fans had virtually all his sword models.

at1518d.jpg

Although I only have those two shown, I have always liked some of his sidesword blades, most often assembled by Christian Fletcher.

AT1611.custom.jpg
comparison.jpg

Someone probably has the old terrific All Saints photography but I missed the boat. Maybe through archive.org if I can remember all the site names. Christian's old pages can be found that way.

at1549c.0.jpg

Cheers
GC

A blast from the past. Gus should be celebrating at least 20 years of grinding. This was roughly when I was first following folk at the Highlander board (to become SFI) and Netsword. Christian was also one of the Del Tin vendors, long ago.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001024183519/http://christianfletcher.com:80/

The Tinker Line were collaborations of Michael "Tinker" Pearce and Gus. You can see some of the old beautiful bubinga grips on these Tinker Toys

Cheers
GC

That's very cool. Grats Infidel, and cool info, Horseclover.

I got to swing around an Ayy-Trim once, it was a great sword, light and well-balanced.

There was a fellow on that tv show Knife or Death who used one to cut and smash through the obstacles, and kicked a lot of ass with it. Might be worth seeing if you're a fan of those swords.

That's very cool. Grats Infidel, and cool info, Horseclover.

I got to swing around an Ayy-Trim once, it was a great sword, light and well-balanced.

There was a fellow on that tv show Knife or Death who used one to cut and smash through the obstacles, and kicked a lot of ass with it. Might be worth seeing if you're a fan of those swords.

Thanks!

I heard about the KOD but can't seem to find a video anywhere.

Back