My New BK-7 and Thoughts...

Hey guys and gals!

Well I finally got around to snapping a couple pics of my brand new BK-7. This is the first knife I have ever owned that has a blade this formidable!! This knife, my friends, is a MULE if I’ve ever seen one.
I looked at pics of them several times but to be honest, I don’t think I would’ve spent the money to get one. On one of the other forums I frequent I was asking others about knives they liked for hogs, mainly knives to dispatch big hogs that were bayed up by dogs. After a bit of chit chat back and forth I got a PM and one of the members made me an offer on his BK-7. He said it was in great shape, but you know how descriptions go in the age of online bartering and selling. He made me a deal that I would’ve been foolish to turn down so I took it.
A week later it arrived. When I opened the box, I was stunned! First at its sheer size and then by its beauty. It’s a beautiful knife, to my eyes any way.
I posted a thread last week or so, prior to it arriving, asking about removing the coating, getting new handles and what new sheath to get. You guys told me that what the knife comes with is perfect....and you all were right!
I would NEVER get rid of the black coating. The stock handles are also just fine. No need to spend money on these prettier parts. The sheath is also more than adequate!! I see no reason at all to change anything at this time. I could, in the future, take the black off of it simply because I really like that patina look they get when that’s done. But not for a long time.
The ONLY thing I need is a way to easily sharpen it. My Lansky kit won’t work on this brute!

So, thank you all for your advice and recommendations on this knife! You were right on the money. I can’t wait to get out and start using this baby. As soon as I can get a decent place to hunt hogs in the Houston area, I’m gonna be outta hand!!

Here’s some beauty shots for you all cause I promised.

Congrats on the new steel, I'm sure it will serve you well. The Becker handle ergos are hard to beat. The 7 was the only one I never got, until I obtained a custom one. I already had a 9, so I guess I never saw a reason to get a 7. My 7 is almost unrecognizable as a 7:

Next to my well loved niner:

Hope you all like the pics even though you’ve seen this knife a million times!!!
There are MANY like her, but THIS one is MINE!!

Warrior...thank you for adding the pics!! I never tire of seeing great user pics of their knives, Firearms, watches, longbows and recurves and so forth.

Now that I get another look at the finish with the black removed, I think it looks great. Another member posted pics of his BK-7 with a polished blade that also really looked great.

Neither is enough to get me to remove my blade coating just yet.

Feel free to post your own pics too! Include mods to the knife, handle and how you’ve tailored the sheath to best meet your needs. That’s the next area I am gonna start thinking about, how best to use my sheath and what to put in the pouch and attach to it too!
LOTS of options here I guess.

Have a great weekend guys and gals and thank you all for your help and advice in helping me get her.

I forgot to add...it is brand new. The guy just bought it and put it away thinking he’d have it if he ever needed a big, capable knife.

Oh....one more thing I wanted to add. Sorry for the incessant “talking”, I just get excited over new toys.

Before I got this one, I had a list of other knives with larger blades of greater than 5 3/4 inches that I aspired to own. No longer. One knife is the DuStar from Israel. It’s a heck of a knife. An homage to the famous Randall 14 Attack with a 7 inch blade.

I can’t imagine a knife that will do something that this one can’t. I know that we all love knives and don’t need much of a reason to get new ones, but this baby is gonna save me money in that I’ll not have to buy other big blade knives.

Ok, I think I’ve talked enough for the night!!

Have a good one y’all!

Larry

I LOVE your excitement. The folks on this forum are just like you. We get worked up about our Beckers. Your excitement is infectious and very appreciated. Maybe someday we can convince you to give the 9 a try.
20151003_174522.jpg

The BK7 was my first...and a darn fine general purpose knife. Gotta say though, bought the 9 after rave reviews here, and it is my main Becker now. Still, the 7 is a great knife.

Some thoughts on the BK7, its history and words of caution:

The BK7 is a common tool used in the forest to get firewood. Seen here are some early BK7 users getting ready to build a campfire.
NVIsjzH.jpg

The BK7 was a formidable weapon. Here is an unfortunate tank after coming face to face with a soldier wielding a BK7.
E0EbuyR.jpg

Use caution with the BK7. Accidentally striking the ground while batoning can be dangerous as evidenced by the picture below,
il1eDIY.jpg

I keep thinking to get a BK7 but I got 3 BK9s... still the mid sized blade will make a great beater blade, I got a spare set if micarta's waiting for a BK I got when I thought BK4s were going to be findable. Just a matter of money...mid sized, good steel and a saber grind, come to learn the thumb ramp does help with critter gut'n and cut'n for keeping hand from sliding some. Still think it would be better for general purpose over a BK10.

Back