my new khukuri

cml

Hi, I'm new to the forums here, and I recently received my SN1 a couple weeks ago. I love it! My friend mumbled something about a tree in his yard that he wanted gone, and I jumped on the opportunity to test out the new blade.

The tree in question was about 3" diameter at the base, and was fairly hard. My khukuri dismembered it in about 8 minutes, 4 of which were my friend wanting to try his hand with it :) As was mentioned in some posts here some time ago, I noted some very minor dents in the edge after I finished cutting, and they came out easily with a steel. I also noted that the edge seemed a little soft, as I was able to create a burr with a steel and flip it from side to side with very little effort.

I took my khukuri camping shortly after the tree test, and used it to whittle down some pressure treated posts with no troubles. I used it to split firewood into kindling, and it made a good poker for the fire when nothing else would do. This is the best knife I've ever purchased.

Being 6' and having large hands, I do tend to find the SN1 somewhat dainty. I'm interested in the modern Afgan, which appears to be out of stock, but i'm also looking at the Ang Kholas.

Have any of you weilded the 20" Ang Khola? I'd love to use a Khukuri instead of an axe, and this looks like it might fit the bill, but I'm not sure I can get enough grip and swing on such a relatively short implement. Any thoughts on wood chopping with a 20"?

Take care,
-Chris

Nice post, Chris. You might know that the whole edge of the blade is not the same hardness. There is an area that gets the most use, about 4" long, that will destroy a file. The rest is somewhat softer by design for greater stringth.

Guys about our size seem to find the WW2 to be pretty much the ideal best all around khukrui (if you had to pick just one). The Ang Khola I have is 25", and it's a good 2-hander. There are some who like the 20" AK, but the size also seems a bit in between to me. To not overlook any of my personal biases, I'll mention I like 'em to be manageable with 1 hand or make the jump to a definite 2 hands. Someday I'd like to have a 16" or 18" AK with rosewood handle.

Not to stir up a debate, there's something about rosewood that I like better, even though horn is at least as tough. Another thing I've found to like about the traditional handles on the SN1, WW2, and regular AK, is the way the tang absorbs shock and the brass buttcap is turned up at the bottom edge. The more I use my khukuris, the more I appreciate their design, and wouldn't change a thing.

By all means, DON'T be influenced by my preferences, as totally different things work at least as well for others. Besides, I enjoy a good-natured disagreement on the forum.

Catch you later,

Dan

Chris Glad to see you like the SN-1 I have the "Jungle Fighter" SN-1 from Craig with a DPM camo sheath cover from a friend in the Royal Gurkha Rifles, that works very well for me. Lt Dan, Im still in America for now. E-mail me I miss hearing from you. Chris, Good post! Cheers!

Between the two SN1's I have and the WWII model, the WWII model definitely suits my size better. I'm a little over 6' and the handle on the WWII is quite comfortable. I feel a heavier AK would handle chopping and splitting firewood with no problem, probably better than a hatchet but not as well as an axe, that's not bad for a hand weilded knife!

Guy Thomas

Back