My new rig and why I slowed down on knife purchases

honorearth

Gold Member
About to hit the road with the family to go look at purchasing property in Oregon then to Idaho to see the wifes Mom and Sister. Then probably back down through yellowstone and over to the coast to head back to northern California. I convinced my wife to let me trade in her Nissan frontier for this badass Tundra, we are very happy with the upgrade and the kids appreciate the extra room in the back. 20171101_104216-3024x1701.jpg20171101_104256-3024x1701.jpg
Looking forward to all the adventures this beast will take us on

Nice rig. I like the bumper.

What do you think about that flood led light?

Nice rig. I like the bumper.

What do you think about that flood led light?
It is great turn that on and you can see everything around in full detail, makes it nice when you are trying to traverse over sketchy ground at night.

I like the TGLB hood emblem... people infront of you doing 40 in a 60mph stretch of road see that coming up in the rear mirror will get their ass in gear.

That is awesome !! Great set up.

Now you have to mod it ! :thumbsup: :cool:

Here are some mods I've done, don't know if it's useful, maybe you are already doing it. :cool::) Might at least be of interest to others reading this thread, and also just wanted to share my own set up. :D:D

#1 Snorkel

Ax2dGUY.jpg

Make sure there are seals on the breathers on the front and rear diffs with tubes running up into the snorkel or top of the engine compartment, though modern vehicles tend to have this already.

#2 Front grill on the bullbar to protect your radiator from sticks

uZq72rE.jpg

Of course, you can jerry rig something yourself but why not get a professional job done like me? ;)

Also extra lights are always good. As many as possible. :thumbsup: Mine is set up for driving around in paddocks and the bush off-track, hunting rabbits and what not. The ground here is full of wombat holes, some of the entrances are half the size of the car ! Note the spotlights on the corners angled at 45 degrees, lets me 'see around corners' when in the bush.

#3 reversing lights

GJeZRR1.jpg

These spotlights light up about 40 metres behind.

KsuUayp.jpg

This bottom one (on the left) lights up the ground for about 5 metres behind. Ground light and spotlights are connected to the same switch.

#4 tool boxes

17mic61.jpg

You can never have enough tool boxes. I keep engine oil, coolant, spare diesel, petrol (gas) for the chainsaw along with 2 stroke and chain and bar oil, drinking water, an axe easily accessible for putting down wildlife that get hit on the road (or shot), a wide range of tools, a heavy chain for towing things like logs when I'm cutting wood, and probably a few other things I forgot. I usually have a large removable tool box also in the tray for the chainsaw, recovery gear, large tools, etc.

#5 bash plate

gNG9wM9.jpg

Factory plates usually aren't that great. This is a heavy duty one I ordered online, it's about a metre long and protects the radiator and sump. Every time I hear a loud bang from underneath I'm thankful for its presence.

#6 tow bar recovery point

DH3zkDP.jpg

This is rated to 5,000 kilograms and can be used with a recovery strap for pulling out stuck cars, towing logs with a chain, etc. It can be easily swapped out for the tow ball by just pulling out a pin. As you know, never pull something using a chain or strap on the tow ball, that is just a way to create a catapult. Also, factory recovery points are usually not rated high enough to do anything useful with, so always install properly rated recovery points.

#7 Inverter

bIBR7u9.jpg

This is a 'pure sine wave' inverter. It has a power plug and usb plug. Lets me charge my laptop and phone, run power tools, charge power tool batteries, etc. Pure sine wave is important for charging Apple products I've found out (the previous one I installed had the 'stepped' wave, whatever it's called, and wouldn't charge my laptop and probably a few other things besides).

#8 Heavy duty rear springs and shocks

hEIEdGZ.jpg

4SfeTO6.jpg

Notice how high the rear sits compared to the front? This way I can load up the tray with anything heavy, as much as it can take, and not worry. I frequently fill it with firewood and drive around the fields and bush over very bumpy ground, doesn't bother it at all. These are easy to order online and cheaper too than ordering it via a mechanic.

Cheers ! Now get that thing dirty !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looking good.

I bought a 1990 Toyota 4x4 Pickup this summer thanks to a buddy making me think about Toyotas. I absolutely love the truck.

That is awesome !! Great set up.

Now you have to mod it ! :thumbsup: :cool:

Here are some mods I've done, don't know if it's useful, maybe you are already doing it. :cool::) Might at least be of interest to others reading this thread, and also just wanted to share my own set up. :D:D

#1 Snorkel

Ax2dGUY.jpg

Make sure there are seals on the breathers on the front and rear diffs with tubes running up into the snorkel or top of the engine compartment, though modern vehicles tend to have this already.

#2 Front grill on the bullbar to protect your radiator from sticks

uZq72rE.jpg

Of course, you can jerry rig something yourself but why not get a professional job done like me? ;)

Also extra lights are always good. As many as possible. :thumbsup: Mine is set up for driving around in paddocks and the bush off-track, hunting rabbits and what not. The ground here is full of wombat holes, some of the entrances are half the size of the car ! Note the spotlights on the corners angled at 45 degrees, lets me 'see around corners' when in the bush.

#3 reversing lights

GJeZRR1.jpg

These spotlights light up about 40 metres behind.

KsuUayp.jpg

This bottom one (on the left) lights up the ground for about 5 metres behind. Ground light and spotlights are connected to the same switch.

#4 tool boxes

17mic61.jpg

You can never have enough tool boxes. I keep engine oil, coolant, spare diesel, petrol (gas) for the chainsaw along with 2 stroke and chain and bar oil, drinking water, an axe easily accessible for putting down wildlife that get hit on the road (or shot), a wide range of tools, a heavy chain for towing things like logs when I'm cutting wood, and probably a few other things I forgot. I usually have a large removable tool box also in the tray for the chainsaw, recovery gear, large tools, etc.

#5 bash plate

gNG9wM9.jpg

Factory plates usually aren't that great. This is a heavy duty one I ordered online, it's about a metre long and protects the radiator and sump. Every time I hear a loud bang from underneath I'm thankful for its presence.

#6 tow bar recovery point

DH3zkDP.jpg

This is rated to 5,000 kilograms and can be used with a recovery strap for pulling out stuck cars, towing logs with a chain, etc. It can be easily swapped out for the tow ball by just pulling out a pin. As you know, never pull something using a chain or strap on the tow ball, that is just a way to create a catapult. Also, factory recovery points are usually not rated high enough to do anything useful with, so always install properly rated recovery points.

#7 Inverter

bIBR7u9.jpg

This is a 'pure sine wave' inverter. It has a power plug and usb plug. Lets me charge my laptop and phone, run power tools, charge power tool batteries, etc. Pure sine wave is important for charging Apple products I've found out (the previous one I installed had the 'stepped' wave, whatever it's called, and wouldn't charge my laptop and probably a few other things besides).

#8 Heavy duty rear springs and shocks

hEIEdGZ.jpg

4SfeTO6.jpg

Notice how high the rear sits compared to the front? This way I can load up the tray with anything heavy, as much as it can take, and not worry. I frequently fill it with firewood and drive around the fields and bush over very bumpy ground, doesn't bother it at all. These are easy to order online and cheaper too than ordering it via a mechanic.

Cheers ! Now get that thing dirty !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Already has the skid plate and I ordered 2 toolboxes for the bed as well as military gas cans. It has airbags on the leafsprings so I can always raise the back end up with air when it is heavily loaded. Do you notice a difference with your snorkel

Already has the skid plate and I ordered 2 toolboxes for the bed as well as military gas cans. It has airbags on the leafsprings so I can always raise the back end up with air when it is heavily loaded. Do you notice a difference with your snorkel

Seems to have a bit more power. I definitely feel better when driving through water !

Back