My NOS Camillus TL-29 arrived today!

Captain O

BANNED
The Camillus arrived this morning, and I couldn't be more pleased! It is nearly perfect in every way! (I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is). There's no blade rub, the finish of the blades are mirror bright. This knife is as it left the factory more than 10 years ago! The "walk and talk" are flawless, the Delrin covers are as well. The "stripping" blade locks up perfectly. I have yet to put a better edge on the knife, but it handily cuts a folded envelope without much effort. The backsprings are not perfctly smooth with the liners, but it is a military knife. (It is a "worker", not a show piece).

This takes me back to my Navy days. It is a great tool that should last the rest of my life.

If you can find one of the Camillus TL-29 knives with a 0170-6C blades, buy it!

Last edited:
I took the spear point blade to my Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker. I can shave my arm with it. In my heart, I knew this knife would be great, now I'm sure of it.

Arf The Wonder Chicken approves this message. :thumbup:

I am incapable of taking pictures with this laptop.

Sorry.

Is it anything like this one, Captain? I picked this up at a gun & knife show a couple of years ago, and consider it one of my best buys ever! :thumbup::thumbup:
HrgaKlS.jpg

- GT

Is it anything like this one, Captain? I picked this up at a gun & knife show a couple of years ago, and consider it one of my best buys ever! :thumbup::thumbup:
HrgaKlS.jpg

- GT

It is similar, but there is a bit of a narrowing at the back of the spear point, (making it look bulb-nosed) and the "Camillus, New York USA" tang stamp has a "classic block serif" look to it. (This was the last tang stamp used before Camillus closed it's doors in 2007). The Delrin scales are shiny and new as are the bolsters.

For the price I paid, it was worth it!

It is similar, but there is a bit of a narrowing at the back of the spear point, (making it look bulb-nosed) and the "Camillus, New York USA" tang stamp has a "classic block serif" look to it. (This was the last tang stamp used before Camillus closed it's doors in 2007). The Delrin scales are shiny and new as are the bolsters.

For the price I paid, it was worth it!

So your tang stamp looks like the first one shown in the thread linked here?
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/497708-Camillus-Tang-stamps-and-dates

- GT

I have four of this type of knife. They are all slightly different. One is a Camillus, one is a Klein, two are Colonials. The two colonials are as different as night and day. Why they make variations to these is beyond me because they are all basically the same design.

Anyway, enjoy it. I have one in my tool box I use frequently. It is a very useful tool. The others I keep with my knife collection.

Colonial is making theirs in China from 440A. They are issuing these in the military (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines). Why they went with the cheaper (and softer) alloy, I'll never understand . The knives issued to us in the Navy (on demand) wereof high quality and wouldn't bend or break as readily as the 440A steel.

I'm thankful for this 10+ year old "Veteran".

I picked up one of these at your suggestion. I had been kind of looking out for one for some time. Your observation about the back springs conforms with my experience. I have a flea market Imperial that is slightly better finished. I also have a Rough Rider that is much better finished than the other two, and almost gaudy in its details: lined bolster, a shield that reads "Be Prepared", and match-strike nail nicks, as if it is meant more for show than work.

My Dad gifted me a Craftsman TL 29 that he found in his front garden a week before he passed, back in 2001. Cleaned up just fine. I have always admired the build quality for an item made in such truly massive quantities.

Back