My perfect SAK and whats yours

For EDC, I think the Cadet is a perfect compromise between size and versatility. For the great outdoors, the Forester is king!

I also use my classic to cut the leather for my holsters and sheaths. To me the thin sharp blades make great cuts and are very easy to keep sharp.

Mmmmm...you know, I still wish that Victorinox will offer a custom shop, but meanwhile it's nice to wonder...
For me, I think it would be a Bantam with scissors in the 74mm range.

:cool:

Have you tried the Rambler? The bottle opener/Phillips dirver on it works quite well.

I just picked up the Manager. Same thing as the Rambler with a pen instead of toothpick. But I love the thin-ness of the Classic. So i was thinking a classic, but witht he combo tool instead of the nail file. that would be perfect for me. But the manager/rambler is near perfect for me lol

The Alox Soldier for me. Thin, strong, easy to clean, with tools that I use on a regular basis. I wouldn't want to add scissors to it as that would increase the weight and around the house I have full size scissors available. The keys that go in my pocket when I leave the house have a leatherman style ps for the scissors, tweezers and small pliers.

I'll back you up on that one. I love my Soldier. The Soldier is the Soul of Victorinox. It's THE swiss army knife. I was looking into getting a modder to add scissors, but I'm gonna keep the old soldier stock. It's thin, and it has a military history, and they don't make them anymore, so why mess one up? Add a rambler to the keychain, like I do, and you have your scissors, tweezers, and toothpick, plus, with the Rambler, you get the magnetized #1 phillips, which can be a lifesaver with electronics. The Compact, as previously mentioned is about perfect. I have a black one I got on Ebay for $2. I rotate the soldier and compact, but I "like" the soldier, the compact is a tool, and nothing more. When I flew to Costa Rica, the Compact went with me, so there's that.
Here's my (almost) perfect EDC setup.
SDC11583.jpg

Last edited:
those soldiers look really good. My fave of my two is the 1979, the one sharpened by an unknown previous owner to the point that only about 60% of the blade depth is left. I had to grind down the kick to get the tip to go below the scale so I wouldn't catch it in my pocket. Makes me wonder who owned it before I did. I also wonder from time to time why my 01 was full of tile grout when I got it. seriously, who does that?

I don't know that I could settle on just one. I have Classics and a Signature Lite on various key rings. I have used a Fieldmaster for over 25 years, but I rarely need the saw, so maybe the Super Tinker?

Since I usually have the scissors of a Classic within reach, I could probably get by with the Tinker. My son likes his.

Unfortunately, it doesn't exist. It's a Farmer with its saw replaced by scissors. I'd easily pay a hundred bucks or more for that, if it's professionaly done.

Maybe we should write to victroinox and wenger and let them see the results of this post?

I have a couple 2 layers, never carried them. All of a sudden I wanted a fat SAK (no pun). I started looking at a model which covered every tool I wanted, and left out the ones I didn't. I would never use a fish scaler, especially on a multi tool, nor a pharmacy spatula, unless I developed a drug habit.

I have ordered the cybertool 41. A 7 layer. Will I edc it? Doubtful. But it will handle urban tasks with the bit driver, metal saw and file, and also has a wood saw for camping duty. I also wanted scissors, pen, can opener, pliers. Pin and micro screwdriver are a bonus. I'm patiently awaiting its arrival.

I own so many SAKs, but the one I take with me everywhere is a black Vic Executive. The Executive doesn't seem to get much mention on the forums, but IMO it's an ideal size for a "smaller" SAK. It's small, but not so small that it's hard to locate in a pocket. I use every feature, except the key ring. Though I rarely use the orange peeler, it's good as a spare serrated blade or scraper.

I also use my Alox Soldier a lot, and use every feature on it. I recently ordered a Farmer, so am looking forward to trying that out. I may not need a wood saw every day, but when you need one, it sure is good to have it. It seems dumb, but I've become hesitant to carry the Soldier now that they're no longer being made. I mainly use it around the house now.

I have a Cadet, but don't care for the nail file. IMO, it would be great if instead of the nail file it had either an awl (basically making it a mini-Soldier/Pioneer), or a small blade.

Jim

I......I have a Cadet, but don't care for the nail file. IMO, it would be great if instead of the nail file it had either an awl (basically making it a mini-Soldier/Pioneer), or a small blade......Jim
In defense of the Cadet, think of the nail file as a light-duty multi-purpose prybar and use it for non-cutting tasks which might damage the edge on a small blade. Once in a blue moon I might use it to file down a hangnail.

In defense of the Cadet, think of the nail file as a light-duty multi-purpose prybar and use it for non-cutting tasks which might damage the edge on a small blade. Once in a blue moon I might use it to file down a hangnail.

I sanded down the tip of the file to be quite pointy,then polished it on my strop it came out nice,now I can use the file tip as a a modified awl, and it still has the shine like it was never modded.

I own so many SAKs, but the one I take with me everywhere is a black Vic Executive. The Executive doesn't seem to get much mention on the forums, but IMO it's an ideal size for a "smaller" SAK. It's small, but not so small that it's hard to locate in a pocket. I use every feature, except the key ring. Though I rarely use the orange peeler, it's good as a spare serrated blade or scraper.

I also use my Alox Soldier a lot, and use every feature on it. I recently ordered a Farmer, so am looking forward to trying that out. I may not need a wood saw every day, but when you need one, it sure is good to have it. It seems dumb, but I've become hesitant to carry the Soldier now that they're no longer being made. I mainly use it around the house now.

I have a Cadet, but don't care for the nail file. IMO, it would be great if instead of the nail file it had either an awl (basically making it a mini-Soldier/Pioneer), or a small blade.

Jim

I bought a p7 pocket clip ~$12 attached to the ring on my executive,works great, now the knife doesn't sit in the bottom of my pocket but is suspended instead

I'd like the old Woodsman model with an extra layer consisting of an awl and can opener.

I sanded down the tip of the file to be quite pointy,then polished it on my strop it came out nice,now I can use the file tip as a a modified awl, and it still has the shine like it was never modded.
Also, the tip can be shaped into a tiny eyeglass screwdriver. In any case, it doesn't have to be merely a nail file.

Back