My perfect SAK and whats yours

this one ;)

new-soldier-klips-3.jpg

Is this the Swiss Army Soldiers? Did you add the pocket clip and tweezers/toothpick? Do tell:)

There are a few that I would consider my perfect SAK:

the discontinued Victorinox Woodsman (non-alox) the only tool I'd want to change is remove the small blade and replace with the finger nail tool on the cadet.

and for urban use only I made my own model I invented a knife on their website I call the "Victorinox Civilian" I'd show it to you but idk how to get images from my laptop onto this site :(

All the Champs: SwissChamp, WorkChamp, Midnite Mini-Champ, etc. are amazing for me

Trekker NS, Cadet, Farmer, huntsman, fieldmaster, and the super tinker.

I have the Victorinox Spartan but wanted the small Tiny Screwdriver that goes inside the corkscrew of some models so that I can keep the screws on my glasses frames tight. Victorinox gave great service and sent me one when I inquired. I now have the perfect Myopic Bookworm Survival Tool with 2 blades, corkscrew, eyeglasses screwdriver, can opener, bottle opener, toothpick and tweezers.
Faiaoga:cool:

I can't narrow it down to one, so here goes ...

Perfect SAK for outdoors: The Huntsman

Perfect SAK for urban, day-to-day life: Tourist loaded with mini screwdriver in the corkscrew.

Perfect SAK for keychain or when I'm wearing dress pants: Rambler (pound for pound the handiest SAK there is!)

Last edited:
My custom dream (non-Alox) SAK would be
4 layers
Blade+combo tool
Scissors
Saw
Pliers
Spine tools
Corkscrew/awl/hook(from Compact)
Stayglow Plus scales with toothpick/tweezers/pen/pin

My Alox version would be similar but obviously without the plastic scales and accessories.
I know the SAK pliers are hardly ideal but for their size they work pretty good and i don't use pliers that much anyway.

If i was going to add one more layer it would probably be a Philips and a magnifying lens (although the L.E.D light is also semi-useful).

An alox Bantam with scissors and an alox Rambler.
What's wrong with Victorinox? Why won't they make these? These configurations are so damn obvious!

Since I was reconfigurating my keychain I replaced my Manager with a Midnite Manager in a leather pouch and ditched the AAA-light. Maybe this will relieve the pain of having no alox Rambler. For everyday alox fun I now EDC an alox Bantam. When I need scissors the Mitdnite Manager will do for now.

I have a Rambler (non-alox) on my keys and a silver alox Pioneer in my pocket.

I use the tweezers and scissors on the Rambler alot so cant get by with an alox Rambler and the Pioneer gives me a bigger blade when needed. The philips head on the Rambler is awesome, by the way and too gets used alot. :D

I wish they could do alox's with the tweezers and toothpick!

I have a Rambler (non-alox) on my keys and a silver alox Pioneer in my pocket.

I use the tweezers and scissors on the Rambler alot so cant get by with an alox Rambler and the Pioneer gives me a bigger blade when needed. The philips head on the Rambler is awesome, by the way and too gets used alot. :D

I wish they could do alox's with the tweezers and toothpick!

I love the Deluxe Tinker. I started carrying it as a replacement for my Leatherman Juice CS4. Aside from the pliers, the other tools seem superior to the leatherman. I want to get my pioneer alox modified to take out the awl and add scissors. Then that might be my dream SAK.

My custom dream (non-Alox) SAK would be
4 layers
Blade+combo tool
Scissors
Saw
Pliers
Spine tools
Corkscrew/awl/hook(from Compact)
Stayglow Plus scales with toothpick/tweezers/pen/pin

My Alox version would be similar but obviously without the plastic scales and accessories.
I know the SAK pliers are hardly ideal but for their size they work pretty good and i don't use pliers that much anyway.

If i was going to add one more layer it would probably be a Philips and a magnifying lens (although the L.E.D light is also semi-useful).

What you're describing is close to what's called a Yeoman Mechanic. It has the main blade and combo tool, pliers, scissors, in-line phillips and mag-glass, with a corkscrew and parcel hook on the backside. The saw and pliers aren't usually in the same knife unless you get one of the bigger ones like a Craftsman, Handyman, or Swiss Champ.

The easiest way to get what you're describing would be to get a Compact and a Handyman or a Craftsman; use the Compact as a donor for the Handy(Crafts)man for the combo tool, and remove the file and openers layers from the Handy(Crafts)man. You'd want to swap out the parcel hook with the one from the Compact too, because it's the only model with the hook that has the nail file on the spine of the tool. You'd also lose the awl/reamer when taking out the openers layer.

Also, they don't make stay-glow Plus scales, unfortunately. :(

Mine would be an Alox Farmer with scissors. Seems like this one should be out there but is not....I saw the custom one on this thread and it is perfecto.
John

There are a few that I would consider my perfect SAK:

the discontinued Victorinox Woodsman (non-alox) the only tool I'd want to change is remove the small blade and replace with the finger nail tool on the cadet.

and for urban use only I made my own model I invented a knife on their website I call the "Victorinox Civilian" I'd show it to you but idk how to get images from my laptop onto this site :(

All the Champs: SwissChamp, WorkChamp, Midnite Mini-Champ, etc. are amazing for me

Trekker NS, Cadet, Farmer, huntsman, fieldmaster, and the super tinker.

You can upload the photos to photobucket, copy the Image code and paste it here. Photobucket is free as well!

My dream SAK, so far for an EDC, would be a black Pioneer with added phillips screwdriver and flashlight...or the screwdriver from a cybertool with all of the different bits. Maybe a saw just for sh#ts and giggles as well.

...and a small pocket clip.....:D

Back