My rehandle and shield projects (with tutorials)

I love threads like this! So great to see old neglected knives being made handsome and ready to be put back into service. And, even more, I love seeing new skills being developed and deeply appreciate folks’ willingness to share their first and early attempts at building that skill.

Thanks for sharing, Darren. You did a great job and I hope first project is not the last! :) :thumbsup:

That came out beautifully :thumbsup:
Great job :)
I have done one recover project on a traditional and plan on doing others on a few moderns I have.
For me it was getting the right equipment-- like a dremel, sanders and buffers, etc.

It sure opens up possibilities :)
It is all about the right tools...little things you wouldn't assume like center punch, countersink bit, a very small (1-3oz) hammer and a stiddy. One could make do without much but it makes it a lot easier to have those things and some bench tools :thumbsup: The possibilities are endless :)

The world is not ready for the amount of tortoise shell acrylic recovers we’re about to see. :eek:

Just kidding, Darren. It looks great! I’m shocked this is the result of your first attempt.
Thanks Colin :thumbsup: I'll try to keep the tortoise shells limited to a select few :) (famous last words)
In this case, it just happened to be the only material I have at the moment...and it is fairly easy to work with. It smells like sh*t though when you grind it! :D

Thanks Colin :thumbsup: I'll try to keep the tortoise shells limited to a select few :) (famous last words)
In this case, it just happened to be the only material I have at the moment...and it is fairly easy to work with. It smells like sh*t though when you grind it! :D

Haha, no I like it. I only want to see tortoiseshell from you. It’ll be like a “Darren’s been here” sign. :D

I've always wanted to try something like that also. Looks great. I picked up a couple Rough Rider kits with all the raw parts to put a traditional together. But it was a bit intimidating. Still thinking about it. :D

I've always wanted to try something like that also. Looks great. I picked up a couple Rough Rider kits with all the raw parts to put a traditional together. But it was a bit intimidating. Still thinking about it. :D
Go for it! Those kits or other cheaper knives are perfect to learn on :thumbsup:

Im working on my first rough rider kit now. It is rough! Darn thing was covered in glue and only had half the pins I needed. Off to Jantz for pinstock, a peining hammer and a little anvil. It’s a lot cheaper to buy a Rough Rider than to make one!

Holy cow, that turned out great. I’ve done a few and been happy but haven’t gotten results like that yet. I’m not really sure what I’m doing, I’ve just been trying to figure it out as I go. I may pick your brain over pm for some tips if you don’t mind.

Back