My rehandle and shield projects (with tutorials)

waverave waverave whats new? I know you must be stuck inside with all the wildfire smoke!

I’m finally getting back into things after a loooong delay. New mini workbench in the basement setup for smaller projects with a new dremel I found on the side of the road! I’m working on some SAK mods in this picture

R3f88wh.jpg

waverave waverave whats new? I know you must be stuck inside with all the wildfire smoke!

I’m finally getting back into things after a loooong delay. New mini workbench in the basement setup for smaller projects with a new dremel I found on the side of the road! I’m working on some SAK mods in this picture

R3f88wh.jpg
Nice!
Since my shop is outdoors...my time there has been super limited these last few months. The past several weeks have been filled with heat waves and constant smoke. It sucks because I have several customer projects on the books that I need to get through before I can work on my own projects again (I still haven't caught up on personal #86 projects let alone #23's or #33's).
I also had to cancel out of my slipjoint class at Bill Moran School of Bladesmithing this month...that is very disappointing you can imagine.
Anyway, glad to see you are back at it! With any luck, I will be too at some point soon :)

Nice!
Since my shop is outdoors...my time there has been super limited these last few months. The past several weeks have been filled with heat waves and constant smoke. It sucks because I have several customer projects on the books that I need to get through before I can work on my own projects again (I still haven't caught up on personal #86 projects let alone #23's or #33's).
I also had to cancel out of my slipjoint class at Bill Moran School of Bladesmithing this month...that is very disappointing you can imagine.
Anyway, glad to see you are back at it! With any luck, I will be too at some point soon :)
Oh I’m so sorry to hear that. The Bill Moran class would have been amazing too.

I’ll do a rain dance. The fresh air can’t come soon enough!

Hey work looks great but I have a question on sheilds: wouldn't it save mill bits to carve out the rough shape with a cutting wheel or spherical bit on a dremel?

Hey work looks great but I have a question on sheilds: wouldn't it save mill bits to carve out the rough shape with a cutting wheel or spherical bit on a dremel?
I suppose that is possible but maybe not as practical as router bits when using parsher plates as a guide.

Once I started roughing out the inlay with a 1/16" bit before I finalized with the 1/32", I haven't broke any more bits. I am also super careful when working with the 1/32" bit. Most shields don't even require the 1/32" bit but sharp corners are difficult to get clean without it.

Well...between the pandemic, wildfires, smoke, horrible air quality, school, work, life, etc...it has been a minute since I got some legit shop time. Thankfully, things are starting to get better, the air is clean, and I was able to start catching up on a long backlog of projects on the books.

First, I was finally able to finish this TL conversion for a customer. It is really, really hard to make something perfect from a TL but this turned out pretty decent. My shield guy had to make the diamond shield for me (and he offers them now) because that was the one specific request for this project. This isn't perfect by any means (things you wouldn't see in these glamor shots)...but all things considered, this is about as nice as I can make a TL with my current abilities (and patience level). I hope he enjoys it.
TL29_Vintage_Micarta_01.jpg
TL29_Vintage_Micarta_02.jpg
TL29_Vintage_Micarta_03.jpg

Next up was a few mods for Onearmbladenut Onearmbladenut - he asked for a single spey blade 23 and this Queen lockback needed a little bit of work.
The pull on the 23's is usually on the firm side...like a 7-8. So I reworked the spring a tad to bring that down for him to more like a 5-6. The nail nick is on the other side but not much I could do about that.
The Queen's action was horrible and very hard to unlock...very strong spring too. Also, you could hear and feel the grinding of factory machining/strike marks when the blade was opened. So I popped the spring out to reshape a bit, sanded off the strike marks on the blade tang, then pinned the spring back in-place (didn't have to take the whole knife apart). It is a much better knife now :thumbsup:
Kennys_01.jpg
Kennys_02.jpg
Kennys_03.jpg

I have several more projects to get through before I can get back to my own...at some point I will just have to squeeze one in :)

They all look great Darren! Glad you are able to finally find some time to get back at it! Don't ever feel guilty about taking a minute for yourself and making something you've been wanting. For me it gives me a refresher! ;)

Well...between the pandemic, wildfires, smoke, horrible air quality, school, work, life, etc...it has been a minute since I got some legit shop time. Thankfully, things are starting to get better, the air is clean, and I was able to start catching up on a long backlog of projects on the books.

First, I was finally able to finish this TL conversion for a customer. It is really, really hard to make something perfect from a TL but this turned out pretty decent. My shield guy had to make the diamond shield for me (and he offers them now) because that was the one specific request for this project. This isn't perfect by any means (things you wouldn't see in these glamor shots)...but all things considered, this is about as nice as I can make a TL with my current abilities (and patience level). I hope he enjoys it.
View attachment 1426934
View attachment 1426935
View attachment 1426936

Next up was a few mods for Onearmbladenut Onearmbladenut - he asked for a single spey blade 23 and this Queen lockback needed a little bit of work.
The pull on the 23's is usually on the firm side...like a 7-8. So I reworked the spring a tad to bring that down for him to more like a 5-6. The nail nick is on the other side but not much I could do about that.
The Queen's action was horrible and very hard to unlock...very strong spring too. Also, you could hear and feel the grinding of factory machining/strike marks when the blade was opened. So I popped the spring out to reshape a bit, sanded off the strike marks on the blade tang, then pinned the spring back in-place (didn't have to take the whole knife apart). It is a much better knife now :thumbsup:
View attachment 1426931
View attachment 1426932
View attachment 1426933

I have several more projects to get through before I can get back to my own...at some point I will just have to squeeze one in :)
Hey Darren , you did such a wonderful job on my knives. I am very happy and pleased. (edit) PC Matic fixed my Yahoo Email problems. I am back on the war path for the GEC#74 Trapper knives. Yaaaaaa-hooooo !

Last edited:
Well , I have been playing with my Darren Custom/GEC#23 Antique Autumn Natural bone Trapper knife this morning. I mostly open the spear blade right nail nick on my two bladed #23 Trapper knives. I have a left hand single blade #23 Trapper knife, "NOW !". I just can't stop bragging and thanking Darren. When Darren finishes his book , I want to buy one for myself. Most young people hate to work with their hands today. Darren can breath fresh air again , life is great today !

Last edited:
They all look great Darren! Glad you are able to finally find some time to get back at it! Don't ever feel guilty about taking a minute for yourself and making something you've been wanting. For me it gives me a refresher! ;)
Thanks Jason you might be right :) I need to squeeze one in.

On a side note, did you feel compelled to upgrade to a knifemaker/crafstman membership or did an admin require that? I'm not technically a knife maker yet but since I am modding knives for other folks I wondered if I should go ahead and upgrade at some point.

Well , I have been playing with my Darren Custom/GEC#23 Antique Autumn Natural bone Trapper knife this morning. I mostly open the spear blade right nail nick on my two bladed #23 Trapper knives. I have a left hand single blade #23 Trapper knife, "NOW !". I just can't bragging and thanking Darren. When Darren finishes his book , I want to buy one for myself. Most young people hate to work with their hands today. Darren can breath fresh air again , life is great today !
Thanks Kenny glad you like them!

Thanks Jason you might be right :) I need to squeeze one in.

On a side note, did you feel compelled to upgrade to a knifemaker/crafstman membership or did an admin require that? I'm not technically a knife maker yet but since I am modding knives for other folks I wondered if I should go ahead and upgrade at some point.
I was compelled by admin because I was posting my modified knives for sale.

Back