My Rodent 3 is different than yours...

elof_alv

Gold Member
Years ago (predates any attempts at leatherworking) I got the scales off with a plan of stripping and stonewashing the knife.
After stripping I decided to sand down the CNC grooves from the blade and thin it out a little. Sorry no progress pics, but this is what I got from my efforts after sanding and stonewashing

Then, for a time I had too much free time on my hands (and booze) and I came up with another modification idea... Out comes the Dremel...
And this happened (sorry, again no progress pics, this is taken after the mod, ferric chloride bath [yes, got my hands on that in the mean time] and stonewashing:

The dodgy jimping and ferro rod scraper (all eyeballed and done UI)

Then for a long time nothing happened because I could not find standoffs locally, and didn't want to pay 6 times in postage what they'd cost from US

Finally, recently had a look on eBay and got some brass standoffs from China (they needed a bit of sanding...) and the screws I bought were about 1/4 inch too long (each!!! more Dremel time) and a few days ago I assembled this fruit of my pain, blood, frustration and joy and put an edge on.

Here is a close up on edge, I've used nail polish as a resistor for ferric chloride (two baths, that's why there is the faded lines along the edge

Overall, I'm happy with the result, knife is definitely lighter, etch came out much darker on other steels, but I'm happy anyway, blade isn't shiny.
Now, need to finish off some leather projects that I have promised to people before I get to make a sheath... work is just such a killjoy...

Killjoy? I doth think noth. I think your a gifted craftsman with unlimited talents and this proves it. Most definitely a one of a kind. A real beaut!

Killjoy? I doth think noth. I think your a gifted craftsman with unlimited talents and this proves it. Most definitely a one of a kind. A real beaut!
........he 'doth refer to the employment he attends when not doing fine leather work and knife modifications (and while healing from the recent removal of a kidney and testicle) ...!!

Great looking work mate !!!!

I have some other 52100 that took a pretty dark acid etch. I wonder if it would have come out darker if it had been done pre-stonewash? Cool finish though. Makes it look rugged.

Kootaga, Andy is right, I meant the job that pays for the hobbies.

HK, acid bath happened before the stonewashing, both times, except for the initial stonewashing that was followed up by more sanding before the first acid bath.

I've now done FeCl3 bath & stonewash to a few blades in different steels and they all come out a bit different.

I understand now I think. Mine was ground and then got an acid bath, but no stonewash, and so kept the dark finish.

I'm having really good luck with stonewashed finish in other steels. Of course something like 3V is going to be more corrosion resistant than 52100 right off the bat, but it makes me want to strip some SR101 and stonewash it to see how it holds up next to satin SR101.

Wait.... you skeletonized that knife with a freaking DREMEL??!!!

TELL ME MORE!

Wait.... you skeletonized that knife with a freaking DREMEL??!!!

TELL ME MORE!

A lot of free time, booze and determination...
Mostly done it with cutoff wheels, then used anything I had in my kits to sand/grind smooth and round off any corners

A lot of free time, booze and determination...
Mostly done it with cutoff wheels, then used anything I had in my kits to sand/grind smooth and round off any corners
*Chiral reads this while eying his Rodent Solution and then his Dremel, wondering if he has what it takes to make the dream a reality....*

Very
cool, elof!

*Chiral reads this while eying his Rodent Solution and then his Dremel, wondering if he has what it takes to make the dream a reality....

I'd say do it, as long as you have the patience.
The good thing about doing it with Dremel is that you get to touch the steel and know when to stop so it can cool down. I did get one of those magnetic thingies/clamps for welding to hold the knife while I cut the holes, but still it's a lot more 'hands on' option than press drill or mills.
The added advantage is that once you have the scales off you can sand down the handles (if you wish so), or even taper under the handles.

*Chiral reads this while eying his Rodent Solution and then his Dremel, wondering if he has what it takes to make the dream a reality....*

Very
cool, elof!

The handle weight of the Rodent Solution was the only thing i wasn't fond of...hmmmm....dremel, eh?

Back