Recommendation? My Shirogorov has vertical blade play and I can't ignore it

PROBLEM SOLVED

I took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together again and it’s totally fixed and is even better now.

I literally got this guy, the Shirogorov F95, in the mail today and was immediately infatuated by it. I've been playing with it on and off for probably three hours but I tried to loosen the pivot to really get a drop-shut feel. I ended up loosening it too much so I tightened it back up, but then I felt that there was some play when you moved the knife up and down. I can tighten the pivot and the movement stops but the action is too stiff. I contemplated taking it apart tomorrow but I really don't feel comfortable doing that unless I have to. In the video, you can hear the rattle it makes and it's driving me insane. As far as I can tell the blade isn't totally flush with the lock bar insert, but I really can't tell because you can barely see the movement and only near the tip of the blade. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been dreaming about owning a Shiro but as of now my dreams are in jeopardy.

https://imgur.com/0xxe9jH

Last edited:
I guess my first question would be where did you get it? I would be doing back flips if I were in your shoes.
I hope someone here can sort you out asap, good luck with it.

Russ

I picked it up on r/Knife_Swap. I am the third owner but the only signs of wear is minimal scratching around the pivot. I mean it’s in seriously great condition for how much I paid ($525) and it’s without a doubt authentic. I just somehow managed to do this and am pissed at myself. I’m planning on taking it apart tonight after work to clean it and see what I can do.

I wonder what it was that threw it off. I've heard of this type thing happening with other owners ..

Back