My Spyderco Delica 4 FFG

I like the dark green and gray. I thought they were British racing green scales at first. It's a great color. :thumbup:

I like the dark green and gray. I thought they were British racing green scales at first. It's a great color. :thumbup:

Haha I actually had been looking for a user ZDP just for the scales and decided to give the dye a try. I think it's pretty close and am definitely happy with how it turned out. It's really pretty easy to do.

I like the orange and black color scheme, there. I'm a native of Baltimore so those will always be Orioles colors to me. :)

Nice reprofile, too. Kind of like a mini Yojimbo. :thumbup:

more info please.....

It started life as a recently released Delica Wharncliff .
Then I swapped a Burnt Orange scale and back spacer from a Hap40 Delica onto it .

Then I did a re profile of the blades spine .

Then my final modification, reducing the blade length to 2 1/2 inches to make a straight edged Kahr Delica .

Ken

It started life as a recently released Delica Wharncliff .
Then I swapped a Burnt Orange scale and back spacer from a Hap40 Delica onto it .

Then my final modification, reducing the blade length to 2 1/2 inches to make a straight edged Kahr Delica .

Ken

How did you reprofile the blade shape? Need special tools?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMG_3708_zpspttmmxmp.jpg
[/URL]

You took a BORING looking blade and made it.

Very appealing.

Originally this Delica was a factory saber grind. Now a ffg thanks to Tom Krein for a great regrind. + nice blue custom G10 handles.
A wicked slicer.
2f39406314449d4f65ed9775d20506e7.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
That's nice. I have found the FRN(bidirectional texture) to be somewhat of a pocket shredder so plain scales is the way to go IMO.

When pocketing the Delica I've also found that the jimping on the thumb ramp sometimes snag on the fabric of my jeans. So the next mod to my ZDP Delica will be G10 smooth scales and sanded of jimping. Pics will come..

Last edited:
A Casey Long clip is a must if it is mounted to FRN....
Short clip will shred you pockets fast.

SANY0006_zpsdothtogw.jpg

I love the looks of FRN, specially the lighter colours like blue, yellow etc. It gives somekind of a "LEGO" toy vibe that really contradicts the fact that it is a cutting tool. I love that.

But the bidirectional texture is not very fabric-friendly, sliding the knife in/out of your pocket multiple times over and over again. I tried lightly sanding the scales down a bit and that helped some, but I was still not happy. Solution: smoothe G10 scales. Very happy with the ones I got from Aratech in Russia. Love the ghost jade colour as well..

Another "problem"(to me, I know..) is the jimping on the thumb ramp. It kept snagging my pockes when pocketing the knife. Of course this is avoidable with very carefull pocketing, but I just had to do something. The jimping(most of it) had to go.

Now, when I first tried cutting with this thing the experience was literally jaw dropping. The way the thin FFG blade slides through cardboard like a lazer is just amazing!

It kicked my small 21 and is definitely my new pocket KING!

This thread needs to be revived. MostMenAreRuthless, are there any more comparisons in the works??

That's nice. I have found the FRN(bidirectional texture) to be somewhat of a pocket shredder so plain scales is the way to go IMO.

I agree that the bidirectional pattern on the FRN can shred pockets. For me, that's a REALLY big problem with my Native 5 lightweight. I also find the Endura 4 to be a little rough. On my Delica 4's it's less so. I suspect it has to do with how the clip on any specific design contacts (or doesn't) the flattened logo area on the FRN. If it contacts dead center, I find that smoothes it out. The good news is that, since they're light and flat, I will often just drop these models (E4, D4 and Native 5 LWT) down in my pocket unclipped.

However, I will say that IMO, NO brand's handle scales/clips are harder on pants than Cold Steel's FRN and G-10 models. To me they're unclippable.

Jim

I would also be interested in knowing what is currently in the pocket of MostMenAreRuthless .

Ken

Ken. . . I am glad to see you and several others are keeping the thread alive!

Currently, my pocket space is being filled with an Olive Green Victorinox Cadet. I have been rotating between it and a Dark Grey Victorinox Pioneer. I know they are two different classes of knives, but the Delica and the Cadet/Pioneer really make great companions. I have never felt "undergunned" when I have them with me.

As far as a new comparison--I have been eyeing a couple other Spydercos, but nothing that is imminent. So, that begs the question: are there any Delica fans out there that would like to see a comparison between the Delica and another Spyderco in particular? Let me know and I will make it happen.

Back