My Spyderco Mods

robotech

BANNED
I just finished this up last night.
A Spyderco Breedan Rescue.
Replaced the black G-10 with textured Blue G-10.
Stonewashed everything but the screws.
Replaced the button head scale screws with recessed flat head to go from T-6 TORX to T-9 TORX.
Then replaced the clip screws with button head T-9 TORX. Pivot screw already T-9 TORX.
Now one driver can take the knife apart.
Left the right side rivets heads alone, except to slightly recess so a thin object (fingernail) can't get under them.
Action is smooth, lock up at 30%, and blade centered.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

b1.jpg

t1.jpg

I got my Civilian last week, and as usual, I couldn't leave it alone.
I made a set of blue Carbon Fiber for it, and screwed up one side, so had to redo.
And I stonewashed the clip (no WAY was I gong to attempt stonewashing that fragile tipped blade!), and put on larger T-9 TORX head screws all around to make it a one driver take apart.
Action smooth, lock up tight, and blade centered. Who could ask for more!

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

lc2.jpg

rc1.jpg

I am now proud to carry this!

I ran out of projects while waiting for a Military to come in. It's gonna get the treatment when it does.
So, to keep busy, I decided to pull the smoothed Black G-10 off my Brad Southard Police 3 Custom.
I put on a set of Ruby Red G-10, fine weave, and upgraded all the screws to larger head and TORX. That's about all.
Didn't know how it would turn out, so didn't touch the black G-10.
I think it came out pretty nice.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

ls2.jpg

rs2.jpg

uc1.jpg

lc1.jpg

I am doing a Orange G-10 Coarse texture set for my regular Police 3. I have already stonewashed everything steel except the screws. It will be about a 1/4 thicker than stock when I am done.
I will post that one when I am done.

Here is a Police 3 I modded.
Rough textured Orange scales, stonewashed everything but the screws, and changed all scale and clip screws to T-9 TORX for one driver dis-assembly.

before

ls1.jpg

after

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

b1.jpg

ti.jpg

Here is the black hardware swap I made to my Desert Sand Spyderco Military to match my Kel-Tec PF-9..
Came off a Camo Black. Substituted standoffs for the back spacer, and added T-9 Torx screws.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

Those look nice. Any up close shots of the civie scales?

Changed my Desert Sand Millitary to black hardware, so had the stonewashed hardware laying around.
Uh Uh.
So I got some toxic green coarse texture and did this.
Traded back spacer for stand offs and updated screws to T-9 TORX. Stonewashed blade and clip.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

t1.jpg

b1.jpg

Ahhh, much better now!

Those look nice. Any up close shots of the civie scales?

No Sir, not at this time. Haven't had many good days to take pics this month. And kitchen light is terrible.
I have a camera that works way better than I do. I can't get through that 200 page manual, LOL

Nice job Rob. I did the same thing to my M4/Ti Military too. Upgraded the torx screws and used standoffs. I also had the clip beadblasted on the outside, but left the inside shiny.

Ti-M4Military.jpg

Nice job Rob. I did the same thing to my M4/Ti Military too. Upgraded the torx screws and used standoffs. I also had the clip beadblasted on the outside, but left the inside shiny.

I added standoffs to my TI Military too. The blade was radius-ed before the stonewash, clip was also stonewashed.

top.jpg

Last edited:
Here are all my TI Spydercos that have been flamed, except my Chokwe.

all1.jpg

The latest is my Leafstorm. I dyed the scale to a denim blue, and flamed the TI.

lstorm1.jpg

rs2.jpg

My Chokwe.
I lightly flamed the TI scale to get some rainbow.
I stripped the clip and distressed the clip screws. Added T-9 button head screws to the clip.
Stonewashed just the blade.
I also re-profiled the edge to a 20 degree razor.
Then dyed a white G-7 scale to red. Hmm, nope didn't work. So I left it in the pan for over an hour, keeping the dye hot. Zoned out and when I came back, the water had boiled out and the scale was lying on the bottom with crud on it. Rinsed it off and got this.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

I liked it! Trouble is, this scale was just a trial run and didn't fit the frame well. And I didn't like the clip. I had to change that. Stonewashed it.

So, I made another scale to fit, and tried to replicate the burnt red.
Nope, got an orange instead. But, it does have some blotches so I still like it.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

rc1.jpg

It's in my pocket, right now, and is in my latest EDC rotation.

Just finished a Jade scale for a Chinook 3 for a fellow forum member.
One of his scales had been butchered pretty bad, so he wanted one to replace it.
Here it is mounted on MY Chinook 3 I just purchased for $75.00! A few scratches on the blade, but the rest is like new with NO up/down or sideways!
I am putting set of set eye blinding yellow (coarse texture) and giving the rest of the steel a ferric chloride bath, then a light stonewash. Maybe by Mid March, I'll have it done.
I am also gathering parts to mod a PPT to some far out stuff. Watch for that in March or April!
Anyway, here is the Jade (Ghost) scale on a Chinook 3.

ls1.jpg

lc1.jpg

b1.jpg

t1.jpg

Great work! I would love some blue cf for my pm2!!:confused:

I got that blue CF off eBay.
Kinda expensive (CF is expensive), but does make nice scales for knives. You will have to ask for it to be cut at 5.5" instead of 4.5" if using for Military Police or Civilian ( I did).
Make sure you measure your knife before buying.
Wear a respirator for ANY work on G-10, Micarta, or Carbon Fiber. And that CF with Kevlar? I won't touch it even with a respirator. These materials are HELL on the lungs. If you can smell it being worked, you are breathing it.

I just finished my Matriarch 2 mods. I received it yesterday.
I am still learning to do the cut outs for the steel liners and went a touch too far and hit the edge. So these scales aren't staying. I am putting a Coarse Texture, Eye Blinding Yellow on this and one of my Chinooks, very soon.
But, this will do until I get to it.
A PPT is next on the list and it will be wild, unless I screw it up, LOL. Still gathering hardware and tools, the PPT is going to be something to see.
This has a Toxic Green fine weave G-10 set on it, and I added black T-9 TORX screws to the clip side, scales and clip. I have ordered the black pivot screw (4-40 TORX, button head) and hope to have it by the time I get the Yellow G-10.
Thing is, this is the EXACT same handle the Endura 4 has, so they will interchange!

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

lc1.jpg

t1.jpg

Here is a dye job I did over a few months. Had to find the white FRN a piece at a time.
I am getting a wood/class display box for them as a set, and laminating a text based card that says
"These Colors may BLEED, but they never RUN!"
And they do bleed. I also made Reeves coil lanyards for each one and dyed them, too.
I was going to wait until I finished everything, but that may be in a few weeks as I get to it.

ls1.jpg

rs1.jpg

lc1.jpg

Yeah, pretty useless for the $300.00 it will eventually cost, but it is a display set, not users.

Back