My Tormek Story

tldr; What is your experience with Tormek's custom service?

Got a T-8, with accessories including the Japanese Waterstone, months ago. During a recurrent bought of moodiness, I figured what the hell, now or never.

What an amazing tool! I'm no sharpening expert, but it's fun and easy and I'm really enjoying learning how to use it well.

Like any complex sharpening system, there is certainly a rather steep and nuanced learning curve (at least for really precise results), yet what a joy it is!

Although it definitely isn't perfect (the knife jig needs some serious modification), I'm finding it extremely intuitive to use. Especially when I get to make my mistakes using it while practicing on our beat up old kitchen knives ;)

What I'm REALLY bummed out about is that the Japanese Waterstone developed a MAJOR chip out of the side, and it's basically unusable now.

The stock stone graded to 1000 grit range (I think it's actually more like 800-900 grit, who knows) works great, the finished results can't compare to the Japanese Waterstone's 4000 grit range. And the results with that, before it chipped, were pretty amazing (to the eyes of a novice at least).

I sent Tormek USA an email the day it happened. Haven't heard anything in four days. I'm going to try calling today or tomorrow. This should not have happened with otherwise awesome stone.

I kick myself for not inspecting the Japanese Waterstone closely upon unboxing and installation - which you can sure bet I did afterwards with the stock stone - but that doesn't make the loss of a $400USD piece of kit sting any less :(

@M B
The Japanese Waterstone is rather sensitive to vibration when dressing. This can cause pieces of the corner and down the side of the stone to fracture. Taking too deep of a dress can cause the vibration to increase. When dressing any fine grinding wheel I try to keep the depth of dress to just a skim or some where around .002" to .003". This will let you dress the wheel without vibration based wheel fractures.

Thanks for the feedback. Never heard back from their .US email, so I guess it's time to give them a call.

Really hoping this isn't just going to end up being a nice stone down the clapper :(

Thanks for the feedback. Never heard back from their .US email, so I guess it's time to give them a call.

Really hoping this isn't just going to end up being a nice stone down the clapper :(

Have you spoken to them yet?

I sent an email when it occurred.

Hopefully I remember to call tonight/tomorrow morning when the timing between here (West Coast US) and there (East Coast US, Europe?) is good

Back