Mystery Ranch Fun in Da House! Metcalf Bag

I have been really happy with my Mystery Ranch NICE Frame platform packs. I have the Crew Cab that I use to haul in tree stands, 50lb blocks of salt or bags of mineral, and haul out a whole doe last year. I really like the tri-zip platform that Mystery Ranch utilizes so I picked up a longbow bag for the frame. I didn’t really like that bag due to the overall size is 2400ci and I think that size bag works better off of the NICE Frame so I have been using my sweet pea pack that is 2000ci if I need something around that size. The sweet pea is roughly 1/2 the weight as the NICE Frame/Longbow combination (Roughly).

Mystery Ranch introduced a new bag this year for their NICE Frame system called the Metcalf. It is super simple, has 3” lifters added to give you more load lift. It has a traditional top loading opening as well as one complete size sip that gives you complete access that I love about their tri-zip design. The Metcalf has 10 total sets of compression straps to really cinch down everything and gives you many options to strap things to the pack/frame so it can somewhat duplicate the Crew Cab capabilities.
The main reason I wanted to give this bag a try is it is 3lbs lighter than the Crew Cab set up and I have been noticing unless I really have a lot of gear I tend to dig through compartments looking for things more than I wanted. SO……….the intention is to try some stuff sacks with similar purpose items so I grab the sack that type item is in and go from there. This pack has a total of 3600ci with out the daypack lid. The daypack lid makes the pack potential reach 4500ci.

Here are some pictures after the initial mounting of the bag to the frame.

Crew Cab still in the frame on the right. Metcalf bag on the left.
0BCD1903-84D0-4322-B1BF-96B3E3A6E96C-18580-000012CE50347DE7_zps054d7d5c.jpg

Metcalf bag mounted in the frame. 10 compression straps total cover the bag. 2 top, 2 bottom 2 each side and 2 on the front.
589D8658-3218-4691-859F-D7837A0354BA-18580-000012CE4851F323_zps2be992bf.jpg

Top with the 2 compression straps crossed. You can see the hydration tube upending in the center back.
98987156-DC8A-477A-9E88-074D38C97D8C-18580-000012CE61229B36_zps80eeb21a.jpg

Top opened up showing the 2 levels of cinch chords.
DFAB18D5-3A2D-409C-B677-C54C11531CEB-18580-000012CE66710397_zpsf041f35a.jpg

Too Opening
93F2957F-4DB7-43FD-8EB0-18653A968B0B-18580-000012CE75087CD9_zps1b4e2a3c.jpg

One side has a full length zip opening. Love this feature!!! Full access to all contents. You can see the water bladder pouch holding folded plastic in this picture.
73A6BE90-C29E-4F2D-8804-92753934F9FC-18580-000012CE81CF13BA_zpsb1bc33db.jpg

Lay pack on one side and dig in like a duffle bag with the release of 2 side compression straps. You can also see the small inside pocket on the front panel. Thin material to not add weight.
F6A2DBFF-4DEE-41CA-A49D-F777A36C1CCC-18580-000012CE875FDF0C_zpsffa9a34f.jpg

Not a small pocket but not overly large to over use it.
1C5705F5-611A-44B6-93D9-0AADF3AF3A05-18580-000012CE97A269E6_zps50970c0c.jpg

Bag extra compressed to be nearly non existent!!
7D5F146B-2542-4A5F-A045-75C554FD0BFB-18580-000012CE5C78D95D_zps84292f05.jpg

Add the daypack lid for an additional 900ci of space or additional top support when full.
1C64C80C-4706-41A8-9198-23CD7EC3B62B-18580-000012CE552610FF_zpsd62fdc2c.jpg

I am looking forward to giving this pack a go from simple few hours day packs to even possible hauling out a deer by placing the deer between the bag and the frame with all 10 compression straps!!!

I'm really liking this pack and hope to have one hopefully before the end of the year. I plan to use this for hiking and for Wilderness SAR (if the profile can be low enough). Could this be configured nicely as a day pack? If its not much trouble could you post pictures of you wearing it with a dayhike and overnight load? Thanks!

Last edited:
I will get some day hike pictures soon I hope. What I like is that the 3" additional height with the carbon stays can be reduced by removing the stays. You would have to cinch it all down in day pack mode but I think it will be great for a do all day pack AND larger 3600ci pack with out the daypack lid.

I am really liking this bag!!! Supper simple and really holds everything stable while to hike around, up and over logs and through ditches.

Loaded the bag up with 100oz of water
stuff sack full of possibles, paracord, emergency med kit
stuff sack full of dried food items, 32oz nalgene full of water, cup nesstled around the nalgene to heat water in, fuel, small stove, water filter kit
stuff sack full of lunch
small tripod
Vortex Nomad Spotting Scope

bag really holds everything steady and in place when cinched down

easy access to all interior items through the side zip and top

the inside pocket I am keeping a fixed blade, digging stake, wipes for emergency restroom needs, headlamp and batteries and a map of the area I was in

packing everything back in the scope goes in through the top and the tripod in through the side

cinched back down and ready to hit the trail

this shows how well the bag can stay compact and also shows the unused male clips that the daypack lid clips into when used. The 3" load lifts really made this pack ride great and pulls the center back against my back better than it did with out the lifters.

taking in some mineral into my hunting area. Thought Id give the Metcalf bag a try in a different way. Took 2 quick detach female buckles, 2 strap extensions and my day pack lid and in a snap had the 50lb bag mounted onto the outside of my empty Metcalf Bag.

You can see the tan female buckles where the General Trace Mineral words are on the bag. The Tan Buckle covers the word Mineral.

Tough to get a picture but the bag rode well!!

Awesome pictures Brian! Thanks! The Metcalf is looking better and better. It will cover my uses pretty well. Will strapping a 9 inch knife on the side won't be a problem?

Shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of points to try and work out a sheath on it.

Thanks Brian! And also, on your last picture. You used the daypack lid as a compression panel?

I did. The buckles at top and lower front are designed to use the daypack lid with the pack.

Darn you, Brian!

I just placed my order. :) Now I'll have the Crewcab, Longbow and Metcalf.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Ha ha! I sold my longbow bag to make myself feel better about getting this bag :)

I'm hoping I can see what this bag is like hauling a deer out of the woods!!

I'm hoping I can see what this bag is like hauling a deer out of the woods!!

That's also my hope. I went into the woods for a couple of nights last weekend to do some early scouting and relax for a few days. My Longbow was just big enough for my three days of stuff. I added a pair of Mystery Ranch Long Pockets to it which add a lot of capacity but don't really fit too well.

When fall comes and I'll be lugging more clothes and gear, it will be way too small. I'll use it over the next several weekends to put out trailcams but when my vacation week arrives for a backpacking bowhunt, it will be the Metcalf or Crewcab I take to the woods. As a matter of fact, I'm about to pack all the gear I used last weekend into my Crewcab to see how the load packs and carries compared to using the Longbow. I sure love the tri-zip design of the Longbow. I'm glad the Metcalf has a full-length zipper on one side. That was probably the one plus that convinced me to give it a try.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

I predict you will grab a couple or 3 stuff sacks and be using the metcalf as primary bag!!!

I know this is an old thread but i just sold 80% of my gear to buy the metcalf, I know I probably won't need the long pockets but does anyone know how the long pockets if on the metcalf?

From what I gather they (compression straps) would run thru the pouch frame that's built in, just wondering if you have any experience with them on the Metcalf? I was going to go with the Longbow and Long pockets, but after talk with the MR rep he said I should Metcalf and I ask if they would fit he seemed to think the should but he was not aware of anyone trying them out on the Metcalf. I am tempted to get a pair to try to add them. The long pocket are being discontinued.

I don't have any experience with the long pockets. I'm running Kifaru DT2 at this time. I no longer have the Metcalf set up. I did like the Metcalf over the longbow by a long shot!

Back